• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because I had a minute in the office today I went to the UVA target board on 247. Again, I know nothing about the internals of UVA so obviously their offer board looked different than this.

247 is showing that UVA put out 17 LB offers, 15 of which were ranked higher than Burks. Now, as with all rankings, they are subjective so UVA could have some ranked higher than others, etc but I am using this as a basis. Obviously, just like VT, UVA did not have a legit shot at some of them, so I will remove a few just with a quick glance. Now, I can tell you that UVA wanted Holland Fisher, who is a 4* and a 95 at 247 (again only using 247 as a basis). Marcus Newby had an offer and was interested in UVA, he is also a 4* 94. Matt Rolin, UVA had a shot at especially before he was offered by USC, another 4* 94 (and a top player in the state who UVA and VT really wanted). Buddy Brown was rumored to be high on UVA, yet another 4* ranked as a 91. Micah Kiser, who committed to UVA, is a 4* 90 (and a darn good LB IMO). Doug Randolph had an offer and a lot of UVA fans thought (and still think) you have a shot even though he is committed to Stanford. Kalambayi is another 4* ranked as a 90 who UVA had a very legitimate shot at. LaChaston Smith who committed to UVA is ranked higher as a 3* 89.

So after removing some that (in my opinion again, I really know nothing about UVA's offer board) UVA offered but had a minimal chance of getting, they offered and had a chance at at least 7 higher ranked LBs that held offers than Burks.

Now if you want to get down to the specifics on ILB vs OLB lets take a look. Burks is ranked as an OLB, which UVA offered 10 of them, Burks being 9th in the 247 rankings. UVA had a chance again with Holland Fisher, Matt Rolin, Buddy Brown, Miach Kiser (UVA commit), Doug Randolph, LaChaston Smith (Commit).

Now with that all said, it is highly unlikely that UVA had Burks (a 3* 84 player who is good in his own right) ranked as a higher priority than all of the those that I listed above. Burks may be high on the board now that 10 of the 17 that have offers have committed, but I highly doubt that he was #2 from the jump off. Again, this is just an objective opinion, I would imagine, like VT, UVA had Holland Fisher, Matt Rolin and EJ Levenberry as their top 3 LB prospects for within Virginia.

Burks is a good player, don't get me wrong, but I do not see how he could be #2 on the UVA priority board at LB from the very beginning.

This is Oakes conversation the other day after Kalambayi and Bryant had committed else where:

Galileo24 said...Yes, Burks is still in play. Looks like our best bet now.

Jamie Oakes said...Well that "best bet" ranked higher on UVa's board than 2 of the three LBs that recruiting services rated higher. Please don't make it sound as if Burks is all that's left because UVa missed out.

I wanted to make sure that it was clear that all along I've said that UVa rates Burks much higher than recruiting services. Virginia was no longer pushing for Buddy Brown and is pushing Burks. That one is clear. I'm not at liberty to say who the other LB of Kalambayi or Bryant that the staff had higher on its board but I can tell you that's it one of them.

In the staff's view, Burks has and has always been a top-10 in-state prospect, which is what I've been saying from the start of the recruiting year. They absolutely love him.

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think Hack had so little interest in VT? If that is so, I would say probably because of the system VT runs. Sean Glennon was a 4star pro style QB, that didn't work out so well. Same will be said for Henderson next year, think he will be a Hokie? I doubt it. Think Frank will lose sleep or spend much time going after him? I think not.

dude Brian Randall wasn't really a great scrambler and marcus vick was but he barely ran, a qb that can run a 4.7 can succeed at tech... the reason glennon didn't is because his o line was horrible every year ... poor guy neveer had a chance hahah

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
dude Brian Randall wasn't really a great scrambler and marcus vick was but he barely ran, a qb that can run a 4.7 can succeed at tech... the reason glennon didn't is because his o line was horrible every year ... poor guy neveer had a chance hahah
Randall rushed for 2240 in his career, Thug Vick didn't run much though, but he only played QB for 2 seasons. And yes Glennon had an awful line.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for some stats EGW. Randall, Vick, and every other starter (minus Glennon) for VT since then has been Dual Threat. That is the kind of QB they prefer and for the most part recruit. Why do you not realize this? These guys can run and move around much better than a guy like Hack or Burns. Not saying someone like that couldn't be productive but we don't run a pro offense! Should we change our entire offensive philosophy for a recruit?
What is with the man crush on Hackenburg anyways hahah....

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
C'mon, where's the good recruiting news?

I wanna see some more COMMITS!

Are we saving the rest for the spring?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we be alarmed by all the exclamation points in Kyle Chung's tweet about receiving an offer from Miami?

slntkilla

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we be alarmed by all the exclamation points in Kyle Chung's tweet about receiving an offer from Miami?

Unless the recruit is shaving VT's in their head, I'm alarmed at any response from recruits

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wanted to make sure that it was clear that all along I've said that UVa rates Burks much higher than recruiting services. Virginia was no longer pushing for Buddy Brown and is pushing Burks. That one is clear. I'm not at liberty to say who the other LB of Kalambayi or Bryant that the staff had higher on its board but I can tell you that's it one of them.

I hope that this is true .. If it is, I hope those WhoVA coaches keep those rose colored sunglasses on .. but I have my doubts and think that Burks is their best shot right now << why Jamie Oakes is hyping it up.

JPCVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that, with the departure of Dew and Norman, VT went ahead and upgraded Burks' offer. Anyone have any insight on this?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You're only going to get so much from analyzing tweets. I'd guess he'd rather play for VT than Miami, but we won't really know until he commits somewhere.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're only going to get so much from analyzing tweets. I'd guess he'd rather play for VT than Miami, but we won't really know until he commits somewhere.
He is just excited he got the offer, its a big time school in his neighborhood (He lives in Fla). Right now I still think he is coming to VT.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true, as of right now. Remember Dew and Norman have been known about for awhile. This isn't a surprise.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the work on Green and Parker now? Been a while since I have heard anything on these two.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new with Green. Still in it, but plenty of work to do. And Parker... you mean Michael Parker?