• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that what they're saying now that the others committed else where? Like I said, I know what Vince Brown thinks of Burks, and its "special teamer". They will say anything to recruits face to get the commitment, but behind their back, watch out...

Oakes wrote about it 3 months ago, that Burks was the #2 LB on UVa's list of LB targets.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakes wrote about it 3 months ago, that Burks was the #2 LB on UVa's list of LB targets.

Come on, he was writing to the audience. You know that. He will hype up the most likely commits. JO has been doing that at 247 for how long now? :hand: Just look at how biased the rankings were pre-VT site...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vt didn't take 2 qbs over those guys they received commitments after they had already committed Burns has great size but is raw but Hackenberg would realistically been the first or second choice for vt if there was actual chace to get him, lts face it Parker is coming off a season ending injury and as much i loved jennings he played injured as well look at CHs film he looks really good miles ahead of any qb techs hadmaybe ever... and the argument that hodges is a dual threat is invalid bcus he has nowhere near the legs of LT3 but I love Hodges potential and parker will be a big fast wideout similar to marcus davis...I guess what im sayin is Sims at the same stage was a superior player to the 2 qb commits vt has if u dont beliebe me look at the film same levelcompetition as well .. just my opinion tag

Sorry LG..disagree with alot you are saying. Bucky was the #1 QB on VT's board. He has more upside than Hack and is better suited to run VT's style of offense, he has plenty of legs..as good as LT.

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry LG..disagree with alot you are saying. Bucky was the #1 QB on VT's board. He has more upside than Hack and is better suited to run VT's style of offense, he has plenty of legs..as good as LT.

Id agree about fitting the style of offense better, but Hackenberg has prototypical NFL qb type potential... Unless you think Hodges will be tearing teams apart in the pocket than I wouldn't say he has more potential, whatever the case though I want him and Hack to succeed

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just because I had a minute in the office today I went to the UVA target board on 247. Again, I know nothing about the internals of UVA so obviously their offer board looked different than this.

247 is showing that UVA put out 17 LB offers, 15 of which were ranked higher than Burks. Now, as with all rankings, they are subjective so UVA could have some ranked higher than others, etc but I am using this as a basis. Obviously, just like VT, UVA did not have a legit shot at some of them, so I will remove a few just with a quick glance. Now, I can tell you that UVA wanted Holland Fisher, who is a 4* and a 95 at 247 (again only using 247 as a basis). Marcus Newby had an offer and was interested in UVA, he is also a 4* 94. Matt Rolin, UVA had a shot at especially before he was offered by USC, another 4* 94 (and a top player in the state who UVA and VT really wanted). Buddy Brown was rumored to be high on UVA, yet another 4* ranked as a 91. Micah Kiser, who committed to UVA, is a 4* 90 (and a darn good LB IMO). Doug Randolph had an offer and a lot of UVA fans thought (and still think) you have a shot even though he is committed to Stanford. Kalambayi is another 4* ranked as a 90 who UVA had a very legitimate shot at. LaChaston Smith who committed to UVA is ranked higher as a 3* 89.

So after removing some that (in my opinion again, I really know nothing about UVA's offer board) UVA offered but had a minimal chance of getting, they offered and had a chance at at least 7 higher ranked LBs that held offers than Burks.

Now if you want to get down to the specifics on ILB vs OLB lets take a look. Burks is ranked as an OLB, which UVA offered 10 of them, Burks being 9th in the 247 rankings. UVA had a chance again with Holland Fisher, Matt Rolin, Buddy Brown, Miach Kiser (UVA commit), Doug Randolph, LaChaston Smith (Commit).

Now with that all said, it is highly unlikely that UVA had Burks (a 3* 84 player who is good in his own right) ranked as a higher priority than all of the those that I listed above. Burks may be high on the board now that 10 of the 17 that have offers have committed, but I highly doubt that he was #2 from the jump off. Again, this is just an objective opinion, I would imagine, like VT, UVA had Holland Fisher, Matt Rolin and EJ Levenberry as their top 3 LB prospects for within Virginia.

Burks is a good player, don't get me wrong, but I do not see how he could be #2 on the UVA priority board at LB from the very beginning.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Id agree about fitting the style of offense better, but Hackenberg has prototypical NFL qb type potential... Unless you think Hodges will be tearing teams apart in the pocket than I wouldn't say he has more potential, whatever the case though I want him and Hack to succeed
VT recruited Bucky since 9th grade, he was always the #1 priority at QB for this class

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually our QB big board looked like:
1)Bucky
2)Carlis
3)Jennings

I can promise you that.

hahah Thats an absolute obsurd assertion as if VT wouldn't have taken any other qb over those 3 in the country... what you have is a coaching staff that weighed factors of time spent recruiting a player that has high interest versus that of a player that has little interest... Thats the reason Hackenberg wasn't offered a scolly if any... we knew for months before he committed that he had little to no interest in VT and im sure the coaching staff knew as well...lets face it guys VT got the best players they recruited not the best qbs in the nation- big board is better used in NFL terms

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hahah Thats an absolute obsurd assertion as if VT wouldn't have taken any other qb over those 3 in the country... what you have is a coaching staff that weighed factors of time spent recruiting a player that has high interest versus that of a player that has little interest... Thats the reason Hackenberg wasn't offered a scolly if any... we knew for months before he committed that he had little to no interest in VT and im sure the coaching staff knew as well...lets face it guys VT got the best players they recruited not the best qbs in the nation- big board is better used in NFL terms
Bucky was the highest priority in this class, and the VT priority board at QB did look like that. VT does not usually recruit nationally (agree or disagree). Hackenberg did not have and offer for a few reasons, but lack of communication was part of it, not fitting the VT scheme is another.

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT recruited Bucky since 9th grade, he was always the #1 priority at QB for this class

Evan are you saying he is the number 1 priority because how long theyve recruited him??? because lane kiffin offers scollies to 6th graders hahah

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bucky has a higher potential IN THE VT SYSTEM, the rest is yet to be seen, we wont know for a few years.

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucky was the highest priority in this class, and the VT priority board at QB did look like that. VT does not usually recruit nationally (agree or disagree). Hackenberg did not have and offer for a few reasons, but lack of communication was part of it, not fitting the VT scheme is another.

My point is VTs board did look like that only because in recruiting you have to be realistic... if a player has little interest you save resources and jump down the guys who are really interested throats, but like I said I don't think Hackenberg fits the system great but great players many times succeed no matter the system...

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he was the highest priority because Bucky is a perfect fit for the VT system. Lane Kiffin is a moron...

i'd agree he is an idiot...hahah but one hell of a recruiter!!
Evan Idk how this convo got turned to make me seem like a bucky hater because im not.... my claims were moreso against the Number 2 and 3 guys on that list parker was recruited simply because if he cant win the job he can go to wideout

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because I had a minute in the office today I went to the UVA target board on 247. Again, I know nothing about the internals of UVA so obviously their offer board looked different than this.

247 is showing that UVA put out 17 LB offers, 15 of which were ranked higher than Burks. Now, as with all rankings, they are subjective so UVA could have some ranked higher than others, etc but I am using this as a basis. Obviously, just like VT, UVA did not have a legit shot at some of them, so I will remove a few just with a quick glance. Now, I can tell you that UVA wanted Holland Fisher, who is a 4* and a 95 at 247 (again only using 247 as a basis). Marcus Newby had an offer and was interested in UVA, he is also a 4* 94. Matt Rolin, UVA had a shot at especially before he was offered by USC, another 4* 94 (and a top player in the state who UVA and VT really wanted). Buddy Brown was rumored to be high on UVA, yet another 4* ranked as a 91. Micah Kiser, who committed to UVA, is a 4* 90 (and a darn good LB IMO). Doug Randolph had an offer and a lot of UVA fans thought (and still think) you have a shot even though he is committed to Stanford. Kalambayi is another 4* ranked as a 90 who UVA had a very legitimate shot at. LaChaston Smith who committed to UVA is ranked higher as a 3* 89.

So after removing some that (in my opinion again, I really know nothing about UVA's offer board) UVA offered but had a minimal chance of getting, they offered and had a chance at at least 7 higher ranked LBs that held offers than Burks.

Now if you want to get down to the specifics on ILB vs OLB lets take a look. Burks is ranked as an OLB, which UVA offered 10 of them, Burks being 9th in the 247 rankings. UVA had a chance again with Holland Fisher, Matt Rolin, Buddy Brown, Miach Kiser (UVA commit), Doug Randolph, LaChaston Smith (Commit).

Now with that all said, it is highly unlikely that UVA had Burks (a 3* 84 player who is good in his own right) ranked as a higher priority than all of the those that I listed above. Burks may be high on the board now that 10 of the 17 that have offers have committed, but I highly doubt that he was #2 from the jump off. Again, this is just an objective opinion, I would imagine, like VT, UVA had Holland Fisher, Matt Rolin and EJ Levenberry as their top 3 LB prospects for within Virginia.

Burks is a good player, don't get me wrong, but I do not see how he could be #2 on the UVA priority board at LB from the very beginning.

:target:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is VTs board did look like that only because in recruiting you have to be realistic... if a player has little interest you save resources and jump down the guys who are really interested throats, but like I said I don't think Hackenberg fits the system great but great players many times succeed no matter the system...

What makes you think Hack had so little interest in VT? If that is so, I would say probably because of the system VT runs. Sean Glennon was a 4star pro style QB, that didn't work out so well. Same will be said for Henderson next year, think he will be a Hokie? I doubt it. Think Frank will lose sleep or spend much time going after him? I think not.