• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Burks has some good offers. Would really hate to see him fall for the BS that I know is going on...

On a side note, seems some of the charm of London has started to fade on some of the Hoo players. They know exactly what I am talking about...
Yep as well as a few prominent coaches here in the 757...

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laugh it up Jeffro but there has been a lot of ass kissing and promising by London and Co. When kids base their decision on this, and then get burned by the reality, they aren't too happy... Seems to be a lot of grumbling amongst the ones who have been there the to see the truth of the Pied Piper.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laugh it up Jeffro but there has been a lot of ass kissing and promising by London and Co. When kids base their decision on this, and then get burned by the reality, they aren't too happy... Seems to be a lot of grumbling amongst the ones who have been there the to see the truth of the Pied Piper.

:dhd:

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and really....38-0 can't make them feel good their your choice either...

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Watford transfers and Mike Smith gets pissed, enjoy having that guy talking to every coach in the Tidewater(and he will talk and they will listen) about the line of bullshit London fed Watford.

You'd better pray Watford quits caring and decides to just ride the pine behind Sims because if not, lololololol.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Watford transfers and Mike Smith gets pissed, enjoy having that guy talking to every coach in the Tidewater(and he will talk and they will listen) about the line of bullshit London fed Watford.

You'd better pray Watford quits caring and decides to just ride the pine behind Sims because if not, lololololol.
He is already pissed and talking...

Sigmadog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Burks a Hoo?

Yes Burks has some great offers heard he also likes Vandy, don't think he has been to Nebraska, seemed he was a little interested in Penn State and WVU. he will more than likely be a redshirt no matter where he goes. Although he is up to about 200 and really a smart and fast kid, he still needs to put on a minimum of 20 lbs. His frame is like RVD when he was a HS jr. RVD loves the weight room is and is now up to 220. be nice if he would follow his HS teamates to Tech.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Burks has some great offers heard he also likes Vandy, don't think he has been to Nebraska, seemed he was a little interested in Penn State and WVU. he will more than likely be a redshirt no matter where he goes. Although he is up to about 200 and really a smart and fast kid, he still needs to put on a minimum of 20 lbs. His frame is like RVD when he was a HS jr. RVD loves the weight room is and is now up to 220. be nice if he would follow his HS teamates to Tech.

All those would be great options where he wouldn't be lied to straight to his face.

And just food for thought, there isn't much difference between a redshirt and greyshirt, you do the same things except at different locations. And with a greyshirt atleast you get to play in games.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just food for thought, there isn't much difference between a redshirt and greyshirt, you do the same things except at different locations. And with a greyshirt atleast you get to play in games.

The difference is that you have to pay for school somewhere during the greyshirt year (if you want to play football for someone). And you'll graduate later (in hindsight a small thing, but I remember thinking that was huge when I was that age). And you will probably greyshirt and redshirt if you greyshirt, so you feel like it'll be forever before you're on a college football field. These kids are anxious to take the next step.

I really hope we get Burks with the greyshirt offer. I think it would be great for him and for us. But I will completely understand if he doesn't want to greyshirt.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that you have to pay for school somewhere during the greyshirt year (if you want to play football for someone). And you'll graduate later (in hindsight a small thing, but I remember thinking that was huge when I was that age). And you will probably greyshirt and redshirt if you greyshirt, so you feel like it'll be forever before you're on a college football field.

Neither of those are really true. You are no less prepared by taking a greyshirt vs a redshirt. In fact, you are probably more prepared taking the greyshirt because you actually keep playing competition instead of sitting on a bench or not even dressing. The whole stigma against a greyshirt offer is really, really overblown and a fallacy.

And like 46 said, what if you are a senior wanting to go to the NFL and you blow out your knee? You already used that redshirt as a freshman to ride the pine....Just something to think about!

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of those are really true. You are no less prepared by taking a greyshirt vs a redshirt. In fact, you are probably more prepared taking the greyshirt because you actually keep playing competition instead of sitting on a bench or not even dressing. The whole stigma against a greyshirt offer is really, really overblown and a fallacy.

And like 46 said, what if you are a senior wanting to go to the NFL and you blow out your knee? You already used that redshirt as a freshman to ride the pine....Just something to think about!

Point out what I said that wasn't true. I didn't say you're less prepared by taking a greyshirt vs a redshirt (although that could be argued... it probably depends on the guy and their situation... some will benefit more from the time with top-end college coaches, some will benefit more from being on the field in games). I didn't say that it wouldn't be great to have that redshirt still available later on (if you don't use it up front). I said you're probably still going to redshirt up front. Not that you necessarily will, but certainly many (and it seems to me most) greyshirts do also redshirt their first year.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Point out what I said that wasn't true. I didn't say you're less prepared by taking a greyshirt vs a redshirt (although that could be argued... it probably depends on the guy and their situation... some will benefit more from the time with top-end college coaches, some will benefit more from being on the field in games). I didn't say that it wouldn't be great to have that redshirt still available later on (if you don't use it up front). I said you're probably still going to redshirt up front. Not that you necessarily will, but certainly many (and it seems to me most) greyshirts do also redshirt their first year.
A lot of it depends on the situation, did the player prep to get their body ready or prep because of academics. Usually one who preps because of academics is able to transition into college sports without a redshirt year, however those that have to grayshirt to get their body ready and learn more about their position, etc, usually redshirt after arriving on campus, but it really does depend on the player.

I think that the best situation for Burks will be to GS if he comes to VT because he wont have to waste a year generating separation between the massive LB haul we brought in last year, plus the LBs already committed this year. If we make him a 2014 recruit he puts himself in a much better situation to see the field in the future as a major contributor. Just my .02

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The difference is that you have to pay for school somewhere during the greyshirt year (if you want to play football for someone). And you'll graduate later (in hindsight a small thing, but I remember thinking that was huge when I was that age). And you will probably greyshirt and redshirt if you greyshirt, so you feel like it'll be forever before you're on a college football field. These kids are anxious to take the next step.

I really hope we get Burks with the greyshirt offer. I think it would be great for him and for us. But I will completely understand if he doesn't want to greyshirt.

Depends on the kid, but there are more greyshirts who do not redshirt than you think. Those who greyshirt can graduate in four years as well. Look at Caleb Farris who is a true sophomore after greyshirting.

And a greyshirt is not the same thing as prepping. You don't have to enroll anywhere if you don't want to, so you don't have to pay for anything, whereas prepping you have to enroll in a prep school to qualify. Greyshirts may go to prep school anyway to compete and take classes. It's similar to high school kids who decide to enroll at a prep school while still in high school. But they could just as easily not enroll or instead take classes at a community college. That's what Dwayne Alford did.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of it depends on the situation, did the player prep to get their body ready or prep because of academics. Usually one who preps because of academics is able to transition into college sports without a redshirt year, however those that have to grayshirt to get their body ready and learn more about their position, etc, usually redshirt after arriving on campus, but it really does depend on the player.

I think that the best situation for Burks will be to GS if he comes to VT because he wont have to waste a year generating separation between the massive LB haul we brought in last year, plus the LBs already committed this year. If we make him a 2014 recruit he puts himself in a much better situation to see the field in the future as a major contributor. Just my .02

Depends on the kid, but there are more greyshirts who do not redshirt than you think. Those who greyshirt can graduate in four years as well. Look at Caleb Farris who is a true sophomore after greyshirting.

And a greyshirt is not the same thing as prepping. You don't have to enroll anywhere if you don't want to, so you don't have to pay for anything, whereas prepping you have to enroll in a prep school to qualify. Greyshirts may go to prep school anyway to compete and take classes. It's similar to high school kids who decide to enroll at a prep school while still in high school. But they could just as easily not enroll or instead take classes at a community college. That's what Dwayne Alford did.

That's why I said "you have to pay for school somewhere during the greyshirt year (if you want to play football for someone)". I was responding to VTFF's comment about still being able to play somewhere else.

It absolutely depends on the situation, as you both said. And that gets complicated, since there are all academic readiness issues, physical readiness issues, position knowledge issues, depth chart issues, class separation issues, etc.

I absolutely agree that making Burks a 2014 recruit puts him in a much better situation long-term. That's why I said "I think it would be great for him and for us". I just don't know that that means dressing as a true freshman. He might, certainly. But do y'all not think it would be a bit of a long shot for him? Just a question.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's why I said "you have to pay for school somewhere during the greyshirt year (if you want to play football for someone)". I was responding to VTFF's comment about still being able to play somewhere else.

It absolutely depends on the situation, as you both said. And that gets complicated, since there are all academic readiness issues, physical readiness issues, position knowledge issues, depth chart issues, class separation issues, etc.

I absolutely agree that making Burks a 2014 recruit puts him in a much better situation long-term. That's why I said "I think it would be great for him and for us". I just don't know that that means dressing as a true freshman. He might, certainly. But do y'all not think it would be a bit of a long shot for him? Just a question.
It is tripping him up in pulling the trigger, he really wants the reg. enrollment option

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Watford transfers, it's because he just can't cut it. Did London promise him playing time? Quite possibly, and London gave him plenty of chances to make an impact and he didn't. Did he the need the redshirt year? Again, quite possibly. Watford looked straight up terrible when he was in the game. I look at his situation this way; Now that he has been a part of game action first hand, if he does red-shirt this year(which is likely), then it will only benefit him because now he knows what he needs to work on. I'm not sure what Mike Smith is pissed about. Watford would have most likely red-shirted if he would have went to any other school that offered. If he went to VT, he would be backing up Logan Thomas. If he went to West Va, he would be backing up Geno Smith. Again, I fail to see what Mike Smith is so pissed about.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Watford transfers, it's because he just can't cut it. Did London promise him playing time? Quite possibly, and London gave him plenty of chances to make an impact and he didn't. Did he the need the redshirt year? Again, quite possibly. Watford looked straight up terrible when he was in the game. I look at his situation this way; Now that he has been a part of game action first hand, if he does red-shirt this year(which is likely), then it will only benefit him because now he knows what he needs to work on. I'm not sure what Mike Smith is pissed about. Watford would have most likely red-shirted if he would have went to any other school that offered. If he went to VT, he would be backing up Logan Thomas. If he went to West Va, he would be backing up Geno Smith. Again, I fail to see what Mike Smith is so pissed about.

It's not a matter of playing time, it's a matter of recruiting people in over him.