• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoke gets Clemson, Tenn, and Cinn.

Penn State soon.

Says UVA and WVU will be in his final list (WVU simply because they told him that they NEED him, not WANT him)

I understand what he means by that, but, come on smoke! Is that really a good reason?

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Smoke gets Clemson, Tenn, and Cinn.

Penn State soon.

Says UVA and WVU will be in his final list (WVU simply because they told him that they NEED him, not WANT him)

I understand what he means by that, but, come on smoke! Is that really a good reason?
UVA

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The problem with VT's defense is that, as a whole, it hasn't sent DL to the NFL. Not that THAT is really a problem (because they've still been dominant at times), it just hurts recruiting some I think ... but by taking the New York Giants approach and trying to tweak defense tackles and ends to be more hybrid is a good idea I think all the way around. It creates more artificial depth, it lets you be more creative defensively, it helps to defend the spread more, and in the long run ... it may help recruiting .. It looks like Gayle and Maddy (in another year or so) could eventually be two of the best defensive lineman VT has ever dished out ... and if Gayle has another killer year, I wouldn't be surprised if he took off. I think that our DL > NFL ratio will get much better in the next 5 years .. that's for sure.

You have to recruit them before you promote them to the NFL. It's not like VT players don't get a lot of national and NFL exposure these days.

VT sent 10 players to the NFL this year. That's pretty good by anybody's standards.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have to recruit them before you promote them to the NFL.

I agree but I'm just saying that, historically, the type of DL that we recruit doesn't usually translate that well to the NFL (typically, our DL are too small). Not saying that we should change the way/type that we recruit, just saying that other programs use that against us ... But I think that we could have more DL's going to the NFL in the next few years than we've had in the last 12 <<< and that helps our DL recruiting even more

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I'm just saying that, historically, the type of DL that we recruit doesn't usually translate that well to the NFL (typically, our DL are too small). Not saying that we should change the way/type that we recruit, just saying that other programs use that against us ... But I think that we could have more DL's going to the NFL in the next few years than we've had in the last 12 <<< and that helps our DL recruiting even more

Now that you mention it, it might be a very good thing if Gayle leaves for the NFL early after this year beyond the obvious that it means he had a great year. DL isn't a position of need and there are some big time DL prospects on our board that it might help with.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yes. Bud and the rest of the defensive staff evidently want to go fast instead of big. If you don't have fast and big, then you most likely don't have an NFL player. That will hurt with the top guys who want to go pro. Get results at the college level with the kind of fast defense they want at the expense of missing out on a few big names here and there. They have made their choice though and are apparently willing to live with it. It works obviously but I just hope we don't miss out on both Hand and A. Brown next year because of it.

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Bud and the rest of the defensive staff evidently want to go fast instead of big. If you don't have fast and big, then you most likely don't have an NFL player. That will hurt with the top guys who want to go pro. Get results at the college level with the kind of fast defense they want at the expense of missing out on a few big names here and there. They have made their choice though and are apparently willing to live with it. It works obviously but I just hope we don't miss out on both Hand and A. Brown next year because of it.

1. As I mentioned in my previous post, get Gayle in the NFL
2. I tend to like seeing huge guys on bad teams, especially 1AA teams. If they were that big and fast they wouldn't be playing on a bad team.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the growing popularity of the 3-4 in the NFL I'm not sure this is a big problem any more. Ours DE have the size and skills to be 3-4 OLBs, and I'd imagine our gap control scheme prepares our DTs to be 3-4 DEs. We just haven't had NFL talent at DT lately.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gayle going early in the draft would help but I think our recruiting is on the rise and we will start to get guys like Hand and Brown. It seems we are getting more aggressive in recruiting. The coaches can sell to them that we have had great success with guys who were smaller and/or slower, imagine what you can do in our system with your skill set and abilities. They can sell them you can come be a monster in the ACC and go in the first round.

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gayle going early in the draft would help but I think our recruiting is on the rise and we will start to get guys like Hand and Brown. It seems we are getting more aggressive in recruiting. The coaches can sell to them that we have had great success with guys who were smaller and/or slower, imagine what you can do in our system with your skill set and abilities. They can sell them you can come be a monster in the ACC and go in the first round.

I agree that we are more aggressive in our recruiting, but I'm not sure that Brown and Hand are evidence of that. Brown and Hand might be our highest rated commits ever if we can land them, but they are still from Virginia, and we have gotten very highly rated players from Virginia before. Get the #1 recruit from Georgia, Florida, Texas, or Louisiana? Now that would be insanely impressive.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree that we are more aggressive in our recruiting, but I'm not sure that Brown and Hand are evidence of that. Brown and Hand might be our highest rated commits ever if we can land them, but they are still from Virginia, and we have gotten very highly rated players from Virginia before. Get the #1 recruit from Georgia, Florida, Texas, or Louisiana? Now that would be insanely impressive.

It comes down to can we beat the big dogs at their own game, who are notorious for taking away VA talent from us. We have had our wins against them in recruiting, but their wins hurt us alot more. Holding onto VA kids isn't the same and won't be a blow like it was taking Kevin Jones from PSU, but it'll show that we can win those battles.

But I agree, it doesn't really show us being more aggressive. More like our ability to close, which has hurt us just as well.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Hand or Brown NEED a specific defensive scheme to be successful. Get them in M&O and Bud Foster would be thrilled to tweak his scheme. This is not Nick Acree we are talking about, these guys are Jadeveon Clowney. Bucky mentioned that he liked how every coach knew him by name. If we want Hand, the Petro Engineering professors need to get to know him. That seems to be his motivation... If football doesn't make him money directly, he wants to make MORE money with the education football buys him.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I hope Harris, Mizzell, and others go anywhere but UVA. Would be a waste of their talents.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
@mjosurecruit: UVA safety commit Tim Harris tells me he plans on taking officials to Ohio State, Oregon, and Virginia Tech.
From what I have heard, he was a soft verbal to UVA. It is VT policy not to recruit a committed player unless they decommit or it the player asks for them to continue. It is not over for Harris, anything could happen...

VT_Hokies#5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey everyone,

Ive been following this forum for about 6 months now and finally decided to make an account. Any thoughts on RB Tarean Folston? On 247 sports it shows he has some interest in VT

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey everyone,

Ive been following this forum for about 6 months now and finally decided to make an account. Any thoughts on RB Tarean Folston? On 247 sports it shows he has some interest in VT

Would love him as a Hokie, but doesn't seem likely.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey everyone,

Welcome! Now get rid of that yankees shit under your name!

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey everyone,

Welcome! How did you find us? Folston is a long shot. We will take 1-2 rb this year. DJ Reid us likely but he could play multiple positions. We are moving up into a good position with Derrick Green also