• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Blocked in the office...cliff notes?

UGA sports blog Q&A: Brent Benedict confirms dispute with Georgia’s new strength coach
2:07 am July 13, 2011, by Chip Towers

Q&A WITH BRENT BENEDICT

Benedict
Brent Benedict has packed up all his things and left Athens. The big offensive lineman has taken up temporary residence at a friend’s house in Roswell. But he won’t be there long. He’ll relocate to Blacksburg, Va., the first week of August. Benedict, who was granted an unconditional release by the University of Georgia after he abruptly quit the team on June 26th, settled on the Virginia Tech Hokies as his transfer destination on Monday. He chose it over Florida, Clemson and a few others. Benedict talked with the AJC on Tuesday in his first extensive interview about the circumstances that led to his decision to leave a program to which he’d been committed since the summer of 2009. He confirmed that it stemmed mainly from a disagreement with new strength and conditioning coordinator Joe Tereshinski over training methods and philosophies. At the same time, Benedict also allowed that what the Bulldogs are doing may work. He also expressed appreciation and gratitude to Georgia for getting him past a severe knee injury and insisted he genuinely wishes for success for the Bulldogs this season and from now on. Following is my conversation with Benedict in Q&A form. . . .

Q: So it’s official then. You’re going to be a Hokie?

A: “Yep, I’m headed up to Virginia Tech. Camp will be starting in August and I’ll be up there then. I talked to Coach [Frank] Beamer and he said that this year I’ll be able to practice but I won’t be allowed to travel or to play. So it’ll be another year and then I’ll have three years after that.”

Q: Did you visit Blacksburg before you committed?

A: “I was up there for visit this past weekend. I got to walk around and check it out a little bit. I actually visited there initially the first time I was recruited.”

Q: So what are your feelings as you leave the University of Georgia?

A: “The University of Georgia was very good to me and my family, Coach [Mark] Richt was good to me and my family and, obviously, Mr. [Greg] McGarity was also. I really appreciate how they handled my release and Coach Richt sticking with me after the knee injury. I’m very grateful for that.”

Q: It seemed abrupt. It seemed like things were fine, your knee was recovering, you were moving up the depth chart. What happened?

A: “It’s just like Coach Richt said and like I said, it was personal issues. And, you know, it just seemed like it was something we weren’t able to resolve. I talked to Coach Richt about it and we both felt it was best for us to go our separate ways.”

Q: Didn’t you actually make the decision first and then wait to talk to Coach Richt when he came back from his mission trip to Honduras?

A: “Yes. I wanted to talk to Coach Richt to see if things could be resolved before I decided to leave. I really felt that was the last-case scenario. That was the last thing I wanted to do was to leave the program. So I talked to Coach Richt and we weren’t able to work things out. So, unfortunately, that’s the way it ended up. But Coach Richt was very gracious and granted me an unconditional release and I’m very grateful for that.”

Q: I understand this mainly had to do with not seeing eye-to-eye with new strength and conditioning coach Joe Tereshinki about training techniques with respect to your injury. I know he’s employing some old-school philosophies with a lot of lower-body work. Is that what this was about?

A: “Coach Tereshinski came in and he has his own philosophy and he and the coaching staff believe that it’s going to work and there’s no reason not to believe that. So, there were a few things going on and I wasn’t able to resolve that. Of course I hope Georgia does well, extremely well. I’ve told all my buddies back there I wish them the best of luck and I really believe it will be successful.”

Q: Before your knee injury you projected as an elite-level left tackle. You were a backup at right guard before you left Georgia. Is your goal to get back to playing tackle at Virginia Tech?

A: “I will do my best to contribute anywhere I can for Virginia Tech when I head up there. If that’s guard, if that’s tackle, it’s fine with me. I think I’ll definitely be in position to [play either]. I’m just hoping they’ll need me to help and allow me to contribute as much as I can.”

Q: Florida was one of the schools to court you this time around. Was it difficult for you to consider the Gators given the intensity of the rivalry between them and the Bulldogs?

A: “The University of Georgia was an awesome place for me coming out of high school. I love the school, I love the people there, I love my teammates. It was very difficult for me to leave. You know, Florida was one of the schools that offered me a scholarship the second time. They’re a big-time SEC school and they’re as strong as anybody is. But, you know, the ultimate decision came down to I felt like Virginia Tech was the best place for me and that’s why I ended up there.”

Q: I know you’re close friends with a lot of your fellow linemen at UGA. How’d they take this news?

A: “I’ll still stay in touch with them. I’ll be lifelong friends with a lot of those guys. I hope they do well this year and I’m sorry I can’t be a part of it with them.”

Q: You know Georgia’s depth situation on the offensive line. Any part of you feel like you left them in a pinch?

A: “It is a little bit thin up there right now and that’s unfortunate. But I think those guys are strong enough that they’ll be able to get through it together

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how USC-E takes care of oversigning. Yikes. This player said his scholarship was taken away and he was "cut"

Sherman ends career at USC on sour note
Bryce Sherman became college football's most recent victim of oversigning Tuesday morning, but the former South Carolina player still has a smile on his face, he told The State.
"It is kind of unfair, but this is not going to take my joy away," the Winston-Salem, N.C., native said. "I want to thank God for the opportunity for all my talents and blessing me with a scholarship."

That scholarship was taken away from Sherman this week, forcing him to choose to either walk on to the football team and pay his own way to school or work a job to help offset tuition costs.
"I didn't quit," Sherman said. "It's just the fact they are not renewing my scholarship, so I am saying I am not going to play anymore. I don't want to put my family in a financial strain where they are paying for everything and I am not even working. If they want to say that's quitting, whatever."
Sherman was informed last week there was a chance his scholarship would not be renewed, and he finalized his departure from the team in a meeting with coach Steve Spurrier on Tuesday morning, Sherman said. Spurrier explained to Sherman that he was the victim of a numbers game. Spurrier told Sherman the large class of incoming freshmen would put the team over the 85-scholarship limit mandated by the NCAA unless veteran players were removed from scholarship, Sherman said.
The Gamecocks signed 32 players in February. Three failed to qualify academically. Sherman said the Gamecocks "cut" some veteran players in May but declined to say who.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
^ BTW for those that can click the link, read some of the comments that uGa fans are making about benedict:baby:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Here's how USC-E takes care of oversigning. Yikes. This player said his scholarship was taken away and he was "cut"

Sherman ends career at USC on sour note
Bryce Sherman became college football's most recent victim of oversigning Tuesday morning, but the former South Carolina player still has a smile on his face, he told The State.
"It is kind of unfair, but this is not going to take my joy away," the Winston-Salem, N.C., native said. "I want to thank God for the opportunity for all my talents and blessing me with a scholarship."

That scholarship was taken away from Sherman this week, forcing him to choose to either walk on to the football team and pay his own way to school or work a job to help offset tuition costs.
"I didn't quit," Sherman said. "It's just the fact they are not renewing my scholarship, so I am saying I am not going to play anymore. I don't want to put my family in a financial strain where they are paying for everything and I am not even working. If they want to say that's quitting, whatever."
Sherman was informed last week there was a chance his scholarship would not be renewed, and he finalized his departure from the team in a meeting with coach Steve Spurrier on Tuesday morning, Sherman said. Spurrier explained to Sherman that he was the victim of a numbers game. Spurrier told Sherman the large class of incoming freshmen would put the team over the 85-scholarship limit mandated by the NCAA unless veteran players were removed from scholarship, Sherman said.
The Gamecocks signed 32 players in February. Three failed to qualify academically. Sherman said the Gamecocks "cut" some veteran players in May but declined to say who.

sidenote to this:according to his USC-E profile sherman is 5'4" 155 pounds. <---still not right, but maybe that has something to do with it.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sidenote to this:according to his USC-E profile sherman is 5'4" 155 pounds. <---still not right, but maybe that has something to do with it.
Its not like he wasn't contributing; he played all 14 games last year as a return man. Besides, height really doesn't mean much when you're a RB/WR/return man like he was.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Benedict article was a good one. The comments are funny from some of the UGA fans and people who don't understand the significance of the bench press in their comments. True you are not pushing straight off your back but it builds the muscles in your chest, shoulders and arms that allow you to push back a defender, stiff arm, or shed a blocker. Do those people really not understand the strengthening a muscle group pushing one way also makes it stronger to do other things??? Glad VT fans aren't that simple.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Its not like he wasn't contributing; he played all 14 games last year as a return man. Besides, height really doesn't mean much when you're a RB/WR/return man like he was.

Yeah i really had no point when i posted that, his height just kinda "jumped off the page" @ me when i googled his name. I agree that height isnt that important as a return man or RB, but tend to disagree as a WR. Either way, like i said i really had no point just something that jumped out at me.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking through the Hokie Haven (free side) and which targets the coaches are recruiting. Cornell Brown has Noah Spence listed as his sole target. 5* DE out of PA. Anyone have any info on him and where we stand with him?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I was looking through the Hokie Haven (free side) and which targets the coaches are recruiting. Cornell Brown has Noah Spence listed as his sole target. 5* DE out of PA. Anyone have any info on him and where we stand with him?

I think we looked really good for spence early but his is a name i havnt heard in quite a while. Im not sure if we kinda dropped on him (as other names started to appear on the board) or if he backed off on us. Either way im not sure how much )if any( we are recruiting him anymore.

^hopefully someone will post that im dead wrong and we are waiting on his commit anyday.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope we didn't throw too many offers out too soon and we won't have room for a big recruit later down the line or scare them away especially on the defensive side.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I just hope we didn't throw too many offers out too soon and we won't have room for a big recruit later down the line or scare them away especially on the defensive side.

kind of a damned if you do, damned if you dont, type situation to me. A lot of times in the past we've been burned by the "wait and see" mentality. Im all for getting great players on board that want to be Hokies before someone else snatches them up and still saving a schollie or two (saved back) for the NSD guys.

FWIW even if this class was declared full by the staff, i'd bet if a Hamilton or Spence wanted to commit on NSD we'd make room.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
FWIW even if this class was declared full by the staff, i'd bet if a Hamilton or Spence wanted to commit on NSD we'd make room.

Bingo! We've always made room for guys like that.

This class may allow us to not only take a big number of recruits, but also allow us to juggle their arrival times.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this class a result of more offers out early, the shake up in the staff, a new approach by the program, or just an anomaly of a year? Your thoughts and facts?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is this class a result of more offers out early, the shake up in the staff, a new approach by the program, or just an anomaly of a year? Your thoughts and facts?

We extended offers to a total of 58 recruits for the 2011 Class. Part of that had to do with having a limited number of available ships, but part of had to do with how we went about the business of evaluating kids and making offers.

So far, we've extended more than 85 offers for the 2012 Class. That's a BIG jump in offers over the previous year. I think having Coach Cav oversee the recruiting process while having Shane, Newsome and others beat the bushes has produced dramatically better results.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Benedict article was a good one. The comments are funny from some of the UGA fans and people who don't understand the significance of the bench press in their comments. True you are not pushing straight off your back but it builds the muscles in your chest, shoulders and arms that allow you to push back a defender, stiff arm, or shed a blocker. Do those people really not understand the strengthening a muscle group pushing one way also makes it stronger to do other things??? Glad VT fans aren't that simple.

I'm just glad that most UGA fans aren't so simple as to judge an entire group of people from one post in a comment section of an online newspaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad that most UGA fans aren't so simple as to judge an entire group of people from one post in a comment section of an online newspaper.

He specifically said "those people" after earlier referring to the fans who made comments. Nothing was inferred about all UGA fans. It's all good.