• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Will Smith, McLaughlin, Haynesworth, and another surprise OL will get offers IMO.

is there some kind of story as to why Smith wasnt offered before? i've seen (a very little bit of) film on him and he looked impressive and seemed to move really good.

What about josh hess? Did he camp? Is he even in the running for an offer?

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is there some kind of story as to why Smith wasnt offered before? i've seen (a very little bit of) film on him and he looked impressive and seemed to move really good.

What about josh hess? Did he camp? Is he even in the running for an offer?

Hess is in the running. No offer at this time. Smith is decent. I think the staff wanted to see how the top targets played out though.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but there's not a lot of difference between taking a medical redshirt at UGA or going someplace else and sitting out a year based on the NCAA guidelines for transfers. Regardless, he'll be a R-Soph when he's able to play again. I suspect there may be more to why he left UGA than just being asked to take a medical redshirt. In fact, the word we get is that Benedict had a falling out with the new UGA S&C Coach, leading to his decision to leave the Dawgs. Some schools, particularly those in the SEC, have a habit of running off players they feel have no future in their program. It appears to me that he still has the fire in the belly to play high-level college ball...just not at UGA.

I'd also wager an educated guess that Shane Beamer already knows every detail of what's going on with Benedict's knee. When Shane was at South Carolina he was heavily involved in recruiting Benedict, and has stayed in touch with him since that time.

You're right, there is a lot more to it than what I posted, it's just that the post was already longer than I wanted to type. I certainly didn't want to type Benedict's life story. And yes there were rumors that he wasn't buying into the new S&C program. Apparently, he didn't want to join the S&C program & wanted to continue working with the team that was handling his rehab program only.

As far as implying that UGA ran him off is ridiculous. Georgia is not Alabama, it's just not how Richt operates. And if you were aware of UGA's O-line situation you would understand that that is highly unlikely.

Benedict was injured during his senior season in HS, Georgia was one of the only schools who still honored their original offer. Most major schools pulled the offer when he blew out his knee. UGA also paid for his surgeries & rehab.

I'm sure Beamer is on top of it, but from what I've seen this offseason, Benedict appears to be trying to deny/hide the fact that he has limited feeling in his feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys be interested in organizing a SportsHoopla tailgate for one of the games this season? :hungry: I don't have season tickets but I plan on coming down and scalping every game (for less than what VT wants to charge of course).

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at our defensive end depth, and recruiting for the past few years and......DAMN!!!!

I am not saying that we would not have taken Wynn or would not make room for Hamilton, but depth at that position is the least of our concern. It would not be like striking out on running backs or linemen this year.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Would you guys be interested in organizing a SportsHoopla tailgate for one of the games this season? :hungry: I don't have season tickets but I plan on coming down and scalping every game (for less than what VT wants to charge of course).

There has been talks of this, still nothing set in stone. I for 1 am usually pretty busy on gameday, but would at the least drop in to meet some of you Fahkers. :-):love:

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're right, there is a lot more to it than what I posted, it's just that the post was already longer than I wanted to type. I certainly didn't want to type Benedict's life story. And yes there were rumors that he wasn't buying into the new S&C program. Apparently, he didn't want to join the S&C program & wanted to continue working with the team that was handling his rehab program only.

As far as implying that UGA ran him off is ridiculous. Georgia is not Alabama, it's just not how Richt operates. And if you were aware of UGA's O-line situation you would understand that that is highly unlikely.

Benedict was injured during his senior season in HS, Georgia was one of the only schools who still honored their original offer. Most major schools pulled the offer when he blew out his knee. UGA also paid for his surgeries & rehab.

I'm sure Beamer is on top of it, but from what I've seen this offseason, Benedict appears to be trying to deny/hide the fact that he has limited feeling in his feet.

Sorry...didn't mean to come off as harsh as it sounds like I did. Apologies!

Richt is personally a good guy but he coaches in the SEC which I think you and I can agree is an extremely cutthroat environment. Even coaches with the best of intentions can sometimes do things to survive when big boosters are screaming for results. Beamer's been in that situation, too, and he did what he had to do to survive after that awful 1992 season by firing some of his staff. Besides, and I think we agree, the conflict was not between Benedict and Richt, but between Benedict and the new S&C staff.

Tech has also been through this kind of situation with an RB by the name of George Bell. George was one of the top RBs in the country when he had three ligaments torn in one of his knees during a game his junior year. Tech was the ONLY school that honored their original scholarship offer to Bell...everyone else cut and ran. But, unfortunately, George never recovered well enough to play at the D1-A level. He eventually transferred to a school at a lower classification where he did very well.

We'll see how things go with Benedict, but we're starting to run out of scholarships very early in the 2012 process. That's very unusual for us and probably reflects well on the staff changes Beamer made after last season.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Verbal - Brent Benedict! I'll be interested to see how this worked out.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is benedict's eligibility statis, how many years does he have left and does he have a redshirt year available?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what is benedict's eligibility statis, how many years does he have left and does he have a redshirt year available?

He was a true freshman last year, and he won't be able to play in 2011 because of NCAA rules regarding transfers. If I understand the rules correctly, he will still be able to practice withe team in 2011. So he will be a R-So in 2012 when he will be able actually contribute on the field. Three years to play.

My one concern is his knee...is it fully healed...and the comments by the Georgia poster about numbness in his foot. Will Benedict require some surgery as soon as he arrives at Tech?

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

I hope his injury isn't still as bad as I had heard. Hopefully it was just a falling out with the S&C program, I've heard that the new program has been brutal and everyone who publicly didn't like it is gone now - so hopefully that is all it was.

I just really hate this guy, because he was reportedly talking with UF before he even talked to Richt about leaving. To a UGA fan, that's about as low as it gets.

Also, our O-line is incredibley thin because of injury and now 2 transfers (Benedict and Harmon [academics]), so it hurts our depth.

Good luck with him, I hope he lives up to the expectations he had before his injury.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benedict is actually a redshirt freshman, I do not know how this affects the possibility of him getting a medical redshirt - but I think he will have to sit out a year (whether that counts against his eligible years or not, I do not know).

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:L

I just really hate this guy, because he was reportedly talking with UF before he even talked to Richt about leaving. To a UGA fan, that's about as low as it gets.

Also, our O-line is incredibley thin because of injury and now 2 transfers (Benedict and Harmon [academics]), so it hurts our depth.

Hard to hate an 18 or 19 year old kid, especially when you mentioned other kids are also leaving UGA because of the S&C program.

As far as your offensive line being thin, we've been there and hope we never go back. We had to resort to converting a number of DLs and TEs between the years of 2001 through 2008. Thankfully, several of those conversions ended up being good enough to play in the NFL, so there's definitely hope for the Dawgs.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benedict is actually a redshirt freshman, I do not know how this affects the possibility of him getting a medical redshirt - but I think he will have to sit out a year (whether that counts against his eligible years or not, I do not know).

He became a R-Fr as soon as his last scholarship year ended which was 2010. He is a R-Fr for 2011. As far as sitting out goes, does that mean he's not allowed to practice with the team in 2011, or does that mean he just can't play?

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to hate an 18 or 19 year old kid, especially when you mentioned other kids are also leaving UGA because of the S&C program.

As far as your offensive line being thin, we've been there and hope we never go back. We had to resort to converting a number of DLs and TEs between the years of 2001 through 2008. Thankfully, several of those conversions ended up being good enough to play in the NFL, so there's definitely hope for the Dawgs.

Actually, the hate comes easily and naturally when it involves Florida. LOL

Imagine if you heard a kid was talking to VT's most hated rival, then the next week told the coach he was tranfering.

I guess I don't really hate the kid since he committed to you guys instead of UF.

Our O-line depth isn't really that bad as far as the #s go, it's just that other than the 3 middle guys the line is very young & inexperienced.

Anyway, like I said good luck with him.

He became a R-Fr as soon as his last scholarship year ended which was 2010. He is a R-Fr for 2011. As far as sitting out goes, does that mean he's not allowed to practice with the team in 2011, or does that mean he just can't play?

I have no idea, I'm sure 46&2 could answer that.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's been some rumblings in the media and on Twitter about Nixon...any chance he wavers on his verbal and jumps to UVA to play alongside his three high school teammates?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another comment on Benedict...he's a transfer, so he doesn't count toward the 25-limit for the 2012 Class! Bonus!