• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u613pJSLcfk said:
Arrested Development... COME ON! - YouTube[/url]

HA HA...now that is funny

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have some sort of agenda with these comments? You come on here and post 4 times about a recruit that has never once been discussed in this thread. Most new members come in here and try to make nice before they stir the pot.

waterboy3.jpg

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Embedded the video for you, as well....

Ha thanks! I thought I did that the first time, but I couldn't tell cause I disabled images, signatures, etc. because of work, but couldn't tell if it did it right the first time.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have some sort of agenda with these comments? You come on here and post 4 times about a recruit that has never once been discussed in this thread. Most new members come in here and try to make nice before they stir the pot.

Welcome to the site Foozball! But seriously, who gives a damn about this guy. He is old news..actually he never was news. On to something..or someone else. Enough about this unknown (in VT land anyways)..Let' talk "future" or "current hokies"..

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well I'm not going to agree with everyone just to make friends here. That's good that you're supportive of current and future Hokies. Believe it or not I am too. But I'd like to see what VT could do with someone like that and what he could do for VT. I AM rooting for the ones we got

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kallon is as big as those VT guys you mentioned now. He'll probably put on 10-20 lbs. I don't care what the rankings say he's way better than any in our DE class even Ekanem. Watch video and you'll see the difference. I also find it hard to believe there are 17 DEs better than him. I don't see how he could not play in a 4-3 either. I think the coaches never saw film or heard of him or that they talked and he wasn't interested. No way would anyone choose one of the DEs in our class over him

Hate to break this to you, but Tech's coaches have forgotten more about evaluating players than you may ever know in your entire lifetime. The coaches targeted Jones because they wanted him, pursued him, and signed him.

They did not pursue Kallon although I'm quite sure they were aware of him and may have watched him play.

As far as watching player videos are concerned, there's a reason they're called "highlights". None of those videos tell you whether or not the players:

*exhibit a high football IQ.

*took plays off.

*lost personal control in one or more games.

*interact well with their coaching staff and fellow players.

*exhibit solid leadership skills.

*play football at a high level with a non-stop motor.

Case closed...quit beating a :deadhorse:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well I'm not going to agree with everyone just to make friends here. That's good that you're supportive of current and future Hokies. Believe it or not I am too. But I'd like to see what VT could do with someone like that and what he could do for VT. I AM rooting for the ones we got

I am fine with you being critical if I thought there was basis behind it. But you're talking about Kallon who was never a real possibility of coming here. I mean I'm disappointed that Darius Hamilton or Eli Harold didn't come here, even though there was little chance, but at least those guys had a greater chance of happening than Kallon. Based on the offer lists Jones and Ekanem had, I think we did pretty damn good.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ekanem and Jones look to be perfect fits at the "End" and "Stud" positions on our defense.....i'm not going to complain about a thing.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can you explain the attributes/responsibilities of a end and stud?

Chris Colston has a really good write up about it in one of his Hokie Annuals. I can transpose it this evening.

Basically one plays on the boundary side of the field and is more of a run stuffer while the other has more zone responsibility and plays on the field side where there is more room.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This comes from an excellent 3-part article on the Tech defense written by a long-time Tech message board poster by the name of Raleigh Hokie:

The "Stud" end. This is a key edge rush position and it is usually played by the most athletic / best pass rushing defensive ends on the depth chart. Often, you will see the Stud set up to the extreme outside edge of the offensive line. This alignment puts a lot of pressure on the offensive tackle / tight end in passing situations. Because of his speed and athleticism, this alignment also puts the Stud in good position to handle outside containment duties against a perimeter running game.

Historically, the term "Stud" end is associated with aligning to the strong side of the offensive formation. In Bud Foster's scheme, the "Stud" always aligns to the wide side of the field, regardless of the offensive formation. Most offenses will go strong to the wide side of the field a higher percentage of the time, but there are many formations that the strength of the formation is to the short side of the field. In either case, Tech's "Stud" end will align to the wide side of the field. Again, the wide side (or "field" in Tech's scheme) is the widest part of the field measured from the position of the ball to each sideline.

The "End". This is a key run containment position that also needs to bring good perimeter pressure on the QB. The "End" is generally the bigger and more physical defensive ends on the Hokies depth chart.

In Bud Foster's scheme, the "End" always aligns to the short side (i.e., the boundary) of the field regardless of the offensive formation. Again, the boundary is the shortest part of the field measured from the position of the ball to each sideline.

The "End" will usually set up just off the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle or in the tackle / tight end gap when the offense goes strong to the short side of the field.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Should have added that specific defensive calls will ask one or both of Tech's DEs to drop back into coverage. We saw that most recently when Collins dropped back into coverage and picked off a pass against UVA. I had to laugh when the TV announcers totally missed what had just happened.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for the info guys, its much appreciated. while we are on the topic of terminology/tech defense, can anyone explain mike and backer to me?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike and Backer used to be a lot more different thn it is now, when we ran more of a 4-4 then we do now. Now they both have similar rolls and skill sets but the Mike makes the calls at the line and is a bit likely to blitz. Still, in the newer VT defenses, they are almost interchangeable. Before 2004 the Backer was more of an outside linebacker than it is now.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd also add that backer is often asked to play more coverage while mike is more of a run stopper.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Murray, kicker out of Tazewell is walking on as well.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the post of Raleigh Hokie's explanation is about as good as your going to get at explaning it.

Stud- Faster end that can cover the most space on the wide side of the field. Jason Worilds and James Gayle are good examples...Jaronatay Jones will be perfect here.

End- Bigger stronger guy that may not be as quick, but because of him being on the short side of the field he won't need to cover as much ground. Ekanem will be perfect in this role.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike and Backer used to be a lot more different thn it is now, when we ran more of a 4-4 then we do now. Now they both have similar rolls and skill sets but the Mike makes the calls at the line and is a bit likely to blitz. Still, in the newer VT defenses, they are almost interchangeable. Before 2004 the Backer was more of an outside linebacker than it is now.

To add onto that, I kindof think of the backer as a Sam (strong side LB). And the Whip as an old school Will (weak side) with the rover (SS) supporting the run quite a bit as well. I know we run a hybrid and not a traditional 4-3 so it is a little different than the old school 4-3. VT has smaller more athletic guys on D typically, hence the speediest D in the ACC year in and year out IMO...