• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was randomly looking at video and came across Francis Kallon a 2012 GT DE commit. I was wondering if anyone knew if VT had contacted him at any point. I was just thinking that if they went down to GA and got Jarontay, why we couldn't have gotten this guy instead. He looks like a complete DE that might've been a possibility for VT considering he didn't have offers from many football powerhouses

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kallon was really new to football. Didn't even play until his soph or junior year in high school.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They targeted Jones, thought that he fit perfectly into their system and got him. Why would they have wanted this guy instead. Clearly they evaluated Jones more highly. Hell, Cav and Wiles both considered Jones the perfect fit as a Virginia Tech defensive end.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Broadway star Eberly looking at VT: Broadway's Josh Eberly is a two-time Valley District Defensive Player of the... Tweet from VAPreps

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They targeted Jones, thought that he fit perfectly into their system and got him. Why would they have wanted this guy instead. Clearly they evaluated Jones more highly. Hell, Cav and Wiles both considered Jones the perfect fit as a Virginia Tech defensive end.
If you mean undersized, 1 dimensional, low round or undrafted, move to another position in the NFL, then okay I see how Jones fits the system. That's the kind of player VT usually has at DE. I'd rather have a future 1st rounder myself. He's bigger than Jones or any other DE prospect VT has gotten for that matter and he's just as quick. He does not get pushed around

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kallon is going to play in a 3-4 where being 6'5" and 260lbs as a high school senior fits. We run a 4-3 with ends who stand up and drop into coverage a lot. This in just my opinion, but I don't care what position that translates to in the NFL. I want guys who fit the roles that our coaches want.

There is a reason that we don't just run and offer all sorts of four and five star Tarzans. Our coaches pick what they want and go after it. He may do great at VT. I like what Jones offers, as well.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also doubt that he is as quick or fast, but at this point that is just speculation.

If you want to move to a different style defense, that is a good discussion point. Start a thread on it. I do not like the the 3-4 in college because the players you need to run it are few and far between and usually hard to recruit. I like it in the pros, but even there there is a shortage of truly dominant ends and nose tackles.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you mean undersized, 1 dimensional, low round or undrafted, move to another position in the NFL, then okay I see how Jones fits the system. That's the kind of player VT usually has at DE. I'd rather have a future 1st rounder myself. He's bigger than Jones or any other DE prospect VT has gotten for that matter and he's just as quick. He does not get pushed around

According to the FREE side of Rivals, Kallon is the 18th ranked strongside DE and the 24th ranked player in Georgia. Rivals has Jones as the 23rd ranked weakside DE and the 26th ranked player in the state of Georgia. Other than a couple of inches in height and 25 pounds in weight, I'm not seeing a lot of difference in their evaluations.

I think you're going to have to wait until Foster has left Tech before we see any change in the types of kids we recruit to play in his defense. Just the way it is.

Another point...it's pretty difficult projecting anyone as a future NFL 1st rounder before they ever take their first college snap.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also doubt that he is as quick or fast, but at this point that is just speculation.

If you want to move to a different style defense, that is a good discussion point. Start a thread on it. I do not like the the 3-4 in college because the players you need to run it are few and far between and usually hard to recruit. I like it in the pros, but even there there is a shortage of truly dominant ends and nose tackles.

Good points 46. The only colleges that recruit these kind of guys consistently and always have a good front 7 (in a 3-4) are the dominant programs (notably the SEC teams). Really dominant NT's are so hard to come by and really good DE's are too. Al Groh is stuck in his "dream world" that he can recruit and run this defense wherever he goes. While he has had plenty of good/decent defenses, he has had few great ones. See Alabama for what a true NCAA 3-4 defense should look like in recent years..Groh and GT will never get the kind of guys that 'Bama will.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Groh is stuck in his "dream world" that he can recruit and run this defense wherever he goes.

Groh will be 68 before next season starts. How many years does he have left in him? He'll never get top notch recruits, so I hope PJ holds on to him as long as possible. :smile:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was randomly looking at video and came across Francis Kallon a 2012 GT DE commit. I was wondering if anyone knew if VT had contacted him at any point. I was just thinking that if they went down to GA and got Jarontay, why we couldn't have gotten this guy instead. He looks like a complete DE that might've been a possibility for VT considering he didn't have offers from many football powerhouses

Kallon didn't start playing football until this year. He received these offers because of potential. Jarantay has been playing football for a while and plays at a powerhouse in GA. He was a Rivals 250 player until November when an analyst saw him play and thought he struggled against the run, even though he played very well in his all star game in December.

Jones is Jason Worilds cloned, IMO. Maybe not as athletic to drop back into coverage like Worilds, but similar in the way they pass rush. Remember Worilds, a 2nd round guy. Jones has great size right now and even though he's not as tall as you'd like, he can still be a big contributor like Corey Marshall. Kallon could turn into a Pierre-Paul type of player, but we've had plenty of guys with high potential while playing minimally or against weak competition and struggle mightily picking up the game. I don't expect that from Jones.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Tech DEs drafted by the NFL...

Worilds 6'2"-262 = 2nd rd 2010
Ellis 6'4"-267 = 3rd rd 2008
Tapp 6'1"-270 = 2nd rd = 2006
Nathaniel Adibi 6'3"-249 = 5th rd 2004
Engelberger 6'4"-260 = 2nd rd 2000
Moore 5'11"-225 = 3rd rd 2000
Bruce Smith 6'4"-265 (played DT for Tech, DE in pros) #1 overall 1985

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Joel Caleb, Hokies land a top prospect - and a top person

A little something about Joel Caleb by Bill Roth.

A few things I found interesting about that report: a recruit chose Virginia Tech because of the weather and A VT fan referred to West Virginia as classy. I've heard it all now!

But all jokes aside, I'm very excited about landing Caleb. He sounds like a great guy and an explosive player. I kind of found it interesting that the players attending junior day last year got to watch us beat Duke in hoops. I'm sure that gave us a little boost.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kallon is as big as those VT guys you mentioned now. He'll probably put on 10-20 lbs. I don't care what the rankings say he's way better than any in our DE class even Ekanem. Watch video and you'll see the difference. I also find it hard to believe there are 17 DEs better than him. I don't see how he could not play in a 4-3 either. I think the coaches never saw film or heard of him or that they talked and he wasn't interested. No way would anyone choose one of the DEs in our class over him

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He dominates guys that are a lot smaller than him. He plays high and stiff, has poor-adequate tackling technique and bites on every first move in the film that I just watched of him.

He gets away with being a lot LOT bigger than his opponents. That will not work in college. JMO, but Jones and Ekanem have much better technique, instincts and playing speed. I also think Baron looks like a better prospect than him.

To each their own though.....

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope our DEs turn out to be good college guys but Kallon has things you can't teach. I can see our DEs getting pushed around by the better O-lines which is discouraging to watch

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope our DEs turn out to be good college guys but Kallon has things you can't teach. I can see our DEs getting pushed around by the better O-lines which is discouraging to watch

This is probably the best defensive class we've brought in and all you can do is cry about not getting a recruit that we were not after and had no interest in VT?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you have some sort of agenda with these comments? You come on here and post 4 times about a recruit that has never once been discussed in this thread. Most new members come in here and try to make nice before they stir the pot.