• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Except out of that list, VT and UVA may have offered 1 or 2 of those guys. Just because he took kids out of Virginia doesn't mean he was an actual threat to our recruiting.

Again, just factually stating who Beatty recruited out of the state of Virginia from 2009-2011.

As far as being a threat, Beatty has offered a number of players since 2008 who also had offers from Tech. Here's the breakdown by year:

2012 for Illinois:
--------------------
Ken Ekanem (not committed yet)
Courtnye Wynn (UVA)

2011 for Vandy:
-----------------
Lafonte Thourogood (Vandy)
Dominique Terrell (UVA)

2010 for WVU:
---------------
Conner Davis (UVA)
Evan Hailes (PSU)
Justin Hunter (Tenn)
Brian Laiti (VT)
Zach McCray (VT)
Mark Shuman (VT)
Phillip Sims (Bama)
Chase Williams (VT)
Travis Williams (Miami)

2009 for WVU:
---------------
Jerod Askew (Tenn)
Telvion Clarke (VT)
Antone Exum (VT)
Quinton Hunter (UVA)
Bradley Johnson (UMD)
Morgan Moses (UVA)
Theron Norman (VT)
Bryn Renner (UNC)
Logan Thomas (VT)

2008 for WVU:
---------------
Randall Dunn (VT)

JMHO, but any opposing coach who extends offers to kids being pursued by Tech, regardless of where they end up, has to be considered a threat at some level.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why all the discussion about Chris Beatty? Isn't he at Illinois now? Can't imagine him being much of a recruiting threat in VA anymore.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again, just factually stating who Beatty recruited out of the state of Virginia from 2009-2011.

As far as being a threat, Beatty has offered a number of players since 2008 who also had offers from Tech. Here's the breakdown by year:

JMHO, but any opposing coach who extends offers to kids being pursued by Tech, regardless of where they end up, has to be considered a threat at some level.

I guess I have a different definition of threat. The fact that he only landed Thourogood, (don't know if Heastie had a VT offer) doesn't really seem like a threat to me.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess I have a different definition of threat. The fact that he only landed Thourogood, (don't know if Heastie had a VT offer) doesn't really seem like a threat to me.

Well, the beauty of this board is that not everyone has to march in lock-step...we can agree to disagree, right?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the beauty of this board is that not everyone has to march in lock-step...we can agree to disagree, right?

No, hell no man i believe you get your ass kicked for saying something like that.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, hell no man i believe you get your ass kicked for saying something like that.

You guys better start conforming...

Recruiting news is slow today for 2012. Probably will be until signing day.

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a misleading statement from ESPN that "Kirven is heading to UT." He's headed to UT for an official visit today, not committing. Wanted to make sure everyone knew not to panic :pray:

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't seen his name listed in a while, but Todd Gurley is announcing today and he's got a little blog post on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/football/post/_/id/4682/todd-gurley-diary-decision-day-is-here

I found this piece interesting -

The first school I'd like to talk about is UNC. Now, UNC was one of the first schools I had at the top of my list from day one, just to be able to visit them so many times helped me get a feel for the college, and actually at one point of time I thought that was gonna be the place for me for the next four years. But when all the NCAA investigation stuff happened, I kind of fell back to see how everything was gonna work out. I still always kept them on my list, though.

Without Butch down-playing the issue it seems like UNC's recruiting was taking a major hit. From the write-ups it sounds like he's going to Clemson. He didn't even mention us. When were we eliminated? We're one of the few schools listed with an official visit from Gurley on ESPN's recruiting site.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't seen his name listed in a while, but Todd Gurley is announcing today and he's got a little blog post on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/football/post/_/id/4682/todd-gurley-diary-decision-day-is-here

I found this piece interesting -

The first school I'd like to talk about is UNC. Now, UNC was one of the first schools I had at the top of my list from day one, just to be able to visit them so many times helped me get a feel for the college, and actually at one point of time I thought that was gonna be the place for me for the next four years. But when all the NCAA investigation stuff happened, I kind of fell back to see how everything was gonna work out. I still always kept them on my list, though.

Without Butch down-playing the issue it seems like UNC's recruiting was taking a major hit. From the write-ups it sounds like he's going to Clemson. He didn't even mention us. When were we eliminated? We're one of the few schools listed with an official visit from Gurley on ESPN's recruiting site.

When Drew Harris and Chris Mangus committed we were done on Gurley and at RB for the year.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah...

Clemson, FSU and Miami are kicking some recruiting ass... again. Miami hasn't seemed to lose any steam from 1) sucking this year... after we broke their will of course 2) the whole bounty, hookers, clubs, agents, and the occasional abortion dealings of a one Nevin Shapiro.

Fascinating.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah...

Clemson, FSU and Miami are kicking some recruiting ass... again. Miami hasn't seemed to lose any steam from 1) sucking this year... after we broke their will of course 2) the whole bounty, hookers, clubs, agents, and the occasional abortion dealings of a one Nevin Shapiro.

Fascinating.

FSU and Miami (and Florida as well) will always do well in the recruiting world just because of their geographic location. Same goes for the Texas, California, and to a lesser degree other state schools. When talking top 10 states concerning recruiting, getting those kids to stay in state is always priority.
I will add the state of VA in this "Top 10 recruiting states" classification.

Last edited by a moderator:

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reading over at VolNation and they think they have at least a decent shot with Kirven because they are supposedly the only school offering him as a DE instead of DT. I have no idea as I'm not a recruiting guru. Just passing along what I read. There was a Vol on there from Lynchburg who said he'd be shocked if Kirven went anywhere beside VT.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That means they have him and Marshall though, that's at least even with our class I think. Gives them the same combination of a good all purpose back, and a true RB that we have in this class.