• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As your statement on Jones and Lewis not being close, we will agree to disagree.

As for Syracuse, it looks like even R___ just updated their list to show Syracuse leading for Jones. Jarron Jones - Yahoo! Sports

That is interesting because the latest Mike Farrell article from yesterday quotes Jones giving his top 5 and also a blurb on those five. Syracuse is absent from the entire article.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jones and Lewis were pretty close from what I have heard...

You guys probably have better information than I do. I knew they were acquaintances and was probably the closest person on the team, but I wasn't under the impression they were very close in general. But I'm wrong more times than right.

The point is Lewis leaving doesn't hurt our chances like some believe. Visits and relationships with coaches are what matter. We have Barquell River who was Stephone Anthony's cousin or a bunch of Hermitage High guys who knew Curtis Grant but they did not sway either into coming here because they have better trips and better relationships with coaches at other schools.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This argument on how close they were/are is dumb and all relative. Fact is, out of all the players on our current squad, Jerome was the one Jones was closest to (thats why he was the host...). If the person you are closest to on a team leaves (whether you are "BFFs" or just casual friends) its just natural your taste for a team will change. Anybody remember the number of days between Cardo's transfer and Crawleys commitment... It can swing a player in one direction or another. Thats why Mike London is recruiting relatively no names (Wahee) in hopes to catch their bigger fish friends (Moore).

Bottom line, losing Jerome Lewis did nothing but ding our odds of getting Jones. /endrant

Well, you certainly stated your opinion in a rather strong manner.

Now, here's mine. If a recruit makes a decision about Tech, and everything the school has to offer, based on the decision to leave the football program by someone he's supposedly close to, then maybe we haven't lost very much in the long run. Hopefully, the kid will find what he's looking for someplace else, and we'll have an open slot for someone really serious about coming to Tech.

I want kids to come to Tech, and stay in the program, based on their desire to be a Hokie. For most of us, that's a lifetime commitment.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMO, there are two reasons a recruit may be upset that a "friend" is leaving a program: dispute between the player and coach that turned public or playing time in which both players play the same position. Lewis doesn't fit either of those categories. He made his annoucement and the entire team huddled with him and said goodbye/good luck to the kid. He also wasn't cracking the 2 deep at TE and Jones plays DT, a position we are very thin at. He could be in the mix for immediate playing time next year.

Like TAE said, if a kid is worried about a "friend" leaving, then chances are that kid would not last with this program. I think establishing pipelines help build relationships, but its the relationship between the coaches and recruit and not players and the recruit that ultimately determine where the kid goes.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW, Crawley's commitment and Cardo's decision have nothing to do with the other. Crawley was no longer on our radar in June. Spots filled and he moved on. Simple as that.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is not how I see it. Crawley cooled well before Cardo thought about transferring. He was having a great spring, got hurt, but still had a chance to get that #2 spot. Leal at the end of spring was coming along, but didn't turn it on until fall practices. Cardo was still very much with this team when our chances with Crawley fell. Tennessee was his favorite because of playing time and because they had his desired major. We didn't need CB anymore, as long as Manning and Tookes stayed on board.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently darius hamilton has a top 5 and we are not in it...rutgers is his favorite and has been for a while

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting recent tidbit about Mark Irick....

Tigers still in hunt for defensive lineman | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

QUOTE:

"WR Mark Irick of Calhoun County committed to Virginia Tech in July and still feels good about the choice. "I can say I am really happy with them, but I don't want to say I wouldn't look at other chools," he said. Irick had offers from USC, Kentucky and Auburn before committing to the Hokies. Irick is considering taking in some games at Clemson and USC."

I'm happy with my choice, but....???

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Tigers still in hunt for defensive lineman | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

QUOTE:

"WR Mark Irick of Calhoun County committed to Virginia Tech in July and still feels good about the choice. "I can say I am really happy with them, but I don't want to say I wouldn't look at other chools," he said. Irick had offers from USC, Kentucky and Auburn before committing to the Hokies. Irick is considering taking in some games at Clemson and USC."

Standard practice in 17-18 year old kids these days...

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Does Cogdell remind anyone else of Keith Burnell with his size, versatility and ability to straight rock people?
I really think that Cogdell would fit in very well as a FB in the system that VT is running now with using the FB in the passing game a little bit, he looks like he can fly...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QUOTE:

Standard practice in 17-18 year old kids these days...

He probably has been reading some of the premium message boards or something. I hear they are loaded with armchair talent evaluators and position coaches.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He probably has been reading some of the premium message boards or something. I hear they are loaded with armchair talent evaluators and position coaches.
haha probably so... Can you blame the kids though? Getting offered to take 5 Official visits and see some good football games, why not take them.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ha!! Anyone with a brand-new boardname can pretend to be smarter than the Tech coaching staff! :loco2:

I'm particularly "loving" the comments on Twitter coming from a couple of blogs concerning why we've chosen to play a certain true-freshman 250-pound DL in the DT 2-deep. Two reasons the bloggers should have guessed without much trouble: 1) Wiles is sending a message to an upper-class DT to start making plays or get passed, and/or 2) the certain true-freshman 250-pound DL is REALLY that good.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ha!! Anyone with a brand-new boardname can pretend to be smarter than the Tech coaching staff! :loco2:

I'm particularly "loving" the comments on Twitter coming from a couple of blogs concerning why we've chosen to play a certain true-freshman 250-pound DL in the DT 2-deep. Two reasons the bloggers should have guessed without much trouble: 1) Wiles is sending a message to an upper-class DT to start making plays or get passed, and/or 2) the certain true-freshman 250-pound DL is REALLY that good.
3) To show some more love to Atlantic HS by playing some of their Alumni as true freshman and lastly 4) see your #2 above :)

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Well I can understand their concern. He projects as a DE, but since our depth at DT is thin, we decided to move him inside. He's light for a DT and probably going to play DE in the future, both of which are very telling. If either Hopkins get hurt, we may be in trouble.

Wiles may be sending a message, which is fine, but even if the kid is that good, (which he is) he is going to get pushed around a bit at 250. After getting our butts kicked around by more physical teams, it would be nice to have a little size inside.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by all that I have heard and seen with Maddy, he certainly earned his way onto the two deep and may get significant playing time right away.

I think Marshall is getting the nod because of his position flexibility.

Vandyke and Jarret are just straight ballers and were two of our highest rated recruits so no shock there.

Vandyke played in a dumbed down version of Foster's D in high school so i imagine that he picked up the playbook pretty quickly.

We are losing two of our two deep next year at CB (most likely) in Hosley and Hill so I think they want a guy to have game experience as a third option and it was going to be Jarrett or Farrow.