• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@RTD_MikeBarber: #Hokies basketball signee Montrezl Harrell (Hargrave) has requested release from his letter of intent.

:(

Fucks sake...

Starting to regret this somewhat rash decision by Weaver. It made sense (if you're not going to renew the guy next season), but the timing was beyond strange. It was like they talked it over one random spring day, decided they weren't going to resign him and scheduled a press conference shortly after... making it all a sudden shock.

We could have massaged this a little better.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems like a pretty good lineup of assistants.

Too bad they lost two of their superstar players, but I suppose it isn't the end of the world. Now they just need to recruit some more.

I'm very skeptical we will be able to pull anyone in this year. But I think with the addition of these (very good, imo) assistant coaches, we should have leads on a lot of kids and should be able to put together a very strong 2013 class. With our depth problems, I guess we just have to be ready to struggle again this year- although I think our starting 5 will be very very good

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Greenberg and Weaver must have had a pretty strong behind-the-scenes falling out that resulted in Greenberg's dismissal.

None of this went down they way Weaver has fired Tech coaches in the past.

We've got to live with the damage now, but the new coaching staff is looking pretty good.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Byington and Williams still have eligibility? We could probably use them!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit. So much for my wishful thinking. Looks like JJ isn't as convincing of a recruiter as some have made him out to be. Harrell's role couldn't have been more different with the team than it would have been with SG. In fact, it would have increased with DFS gone. So it's not a playing time issue. Oh well. JJ has his hands more than full. I want him to succeed but I just don't like the fit.

Oh, and I checked Trez's twitter. Some jackass Hokie fan bitched to him about the decommit saying he hopes he fails at everything so he retweeted him saying "thanks for the motivation".

:L

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit. So much for my wishful thinking. Looks like JJ isn't as convincing of a recruiter as some have made him out to be. Harrell's role couldn't have been more different with the team than it would have been with SG. In fact, it would have increased with DFS gone. So it's not a playing time issue. Oh well. JJ has his hands more than full. I want him to succeed but I just don't like the fit.

Oh, and I checked Trez's twitter. Some jackass Hokie fan bitched to him about the decommit saying he hopes he fails at everything so he retweeted him saying "thanks for the motivation".

i think trez was gone no matter who we hired. i think he just used the SG firing as an excuse to get out since he really blew up after he signed his LOI.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yea, It's a bad idea to hassle recruits who de-commit or choose another direction. It's their life, and their career. It sucks, given how much talent VT was slated to have next year, but with all the assistants leaving the Greenberg situation wasn't perfect either.

JJ gets a fresh slate. He's got a decent team, even if they aren't as deep as they really need to be. It really is too bad.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just opens up another scholly for next year when he has a full season to recruit.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just opens up another scholly for next year when he has a full season to recruit.

He's way behind recruiting for 2013. JJ has a lot of ground to make up if he wants to pull in a few decent recruits. He is way behind since most coaches have established relationships with recruits at this point. I feel bad for JJ because he is now being thrown into a terrible situation with DFS and Trez leaving. Best hope is he can prove himself next year with a strong team coming back.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's way behind recruiting for 2013. JJ has a lot of ground to make up if he wants to pull in a few decent recruits. He is way behind since most coaches have established relationships with recruits at this point. I feel bad for JJ because he is now being thrown into a terrible situation with DFS and Trez leaving. Best hope is he can prove himself next year with a strong team coming back.

The converse of that is that his new assistants will have relationships with some kids that they might be able to steer our way. Wishful thinking!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well everyone keeps saying he's a great recruiter so now he's got a chance to show it.

But that's part of the risk when you hire someone with as little experience as JJ has. A guy with some head coaching experience maybe able to handle that situation better because he knows all that goes into it. He's going to have rely heavily on his assistants and together they're just going to have to almost blindly find their way.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I dont really expect us to pick up anybody this late and if you do it is doubtful that they'd be an impact type player. I say go with what we got in hopes of putting together a monster class for next season. If anything though, id love to pick up a juco big man.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont really expect us to pick up anybody this late and if you do it is doubtful that they'd be an impact type player. I say go with what we got in hopes of putting together a monster class for next season. If anything though, id love to pick up a juco big man.

From what I understand, us picking up a juco is highly unlikely. For us to consider him, he has to have been a qualifier out of high school, and most of the people who go to juco aren't.

I think the chances are better for an uncommitted kid, transfer, or graduate with remaining eligibility who could play right away

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or does everything mike barber puts out always have some way of jabbing VT?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is it just me, or does everything mike barber puts out always have some way of jabbing VT?

Him and Teel both. I've also noticed that the press likes the status quo. They like labels a lot.

While I agree that VT has a great football team, why would that stop them from having a great basketball team as well? You just need university support and commitment, and fans. All of which VT has. I'm not saying they have to win the tournament, but I'd like to see them play in it.

Greenberg raised the stature of the program. Johnson will get his shot at continuing/improving on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SportsHoopla Hokies ‏@HokiesHoopla
RT @GoodmanCBS Virginia Tech has landed UNC Wilmington freshman Adam Smith, per source. Smith averaged 13.7 points last season for UNCW.