• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we keep Harrell, starting lineup next year could actually be something worth talking about. size everywhere. maybe not the 7 footers like some schools have, but raines, barksdale, green, harrell are all big dudes. also gotta assume wood will get some pt, and joey is a 6'10' guy off the bench with some shooting range to boot.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we keep the two commits, Doe Doe wont mean S**t in the end.

I wouldn't say that about a team that currently has what, 8 scholarship players right now?

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
DFS is an example of why you don't hire someone for the purpose of "keeping talent". Almost every coaching change results in team departures, and we've had plenty over the years with SG anyway. Plus, it was speculated that DFS was upset even before SG was let go.

I'm not saying that JJ was hired soley for the purpose of keeping the team together, in fact I hope that he was hired because he is a kickass coach ready to take the reigns. However, many claimed he was the best hire to keep the existing players and recruits on board. Despite the suppossed best coach for the current players and his best efforts, we've still lost a top talent. These things just happen. No fault of JJ.

Good luck to DFS. I hope he has great success but looks back and wonders how Tech got so good so fast without him.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we keep Harrell, starting lineup next year could actually be something worth talking about. size everywhere. maybe not the 7 footers like some schools have, but raines, barksdale, green, harrell are all big dudes. also gotta assume wood will get some pt, and joey is a 6'10' guy off the bench with some shooting range to boot.

Even without Harrell, I think our starting 5 will be pretty darn good. That hasn't been our problem recently. Whether it be transfers or injuries, our depth always comes back to haunt us. We can't even play 5 on 5 in practice half the time. Then our starters play 38 min a game and get worn down.

I just really hope we get Trez and someone else, preferably a guard. We really really need bodies

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^well said, cheme. i agree with that for sure. depth separates us from tourney every year to bubble or worse. (lets just forget about last season ever happening) but, can we blame dfs? he was very highly touted, and had a really rough season. part of that was he was playing in the ACC as a freshman who needed to fill out his frame, and not in the norfolk public school league like before. i think leaving after one season is a bit impatient, but its easy to see why he would be unhappy... 25 missed shots in a row during one stretch? would make me think i was in the wrong place as well. would he have been GREAT to keep? yes. can i blame him for leaving? Not one bit.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random but is JT Thompson gone? He missed 2 seasons in a row with ACLs so i would imagine he would be able to get the eligibility if he wanted it.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random but is JT Thompson gone? He missed 2 seasons in a row with ACLs so i would imagine he would be able to get the eligibility if he wanted it.

I would hope he bows out. It's hard to come back from one knee problem in basketball... two? I don't think he should keep it going. Retearing an ACL is pretty serious.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, JT is gone.

Hearing Florida may be the destination for DFS.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hokies to grant Thompson his release

Virginia Tech men’s basketball coach Seth Greenberg has granted JT Thompson a release in order to assist Thompson in his desire to transfer to a school closer to his daughter. Thompson, a fifth-year senior from Monroe, N.C., will file a waiver to seek a sixth year of eligibility after missing the last two seasons with knee surgeries.

“I appreciate all the contributions that JT has made to Virginia Tech Basketball,” Greenberg said. “He has been a major asset to this program and has worked hard, both on and off the court in his five years here. I feel for JT with all the injuries that he has suffered here and wish him nothing but the best in the future. JT has been a very positive member of this team and leaves Virginia Tech with the most important thing, his college degree.

“As a parent, I certainly understand his desire to move closer to his young daughter and to become a bigger part of her life. We will do everything in our power to help JT in this process and will work with him to find the perfect fit for him in his situation.”

Thompson suffered season-ending injuries to the ACL in each knee in the preseason of each of the past two seasons. He averaged 6.5 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in his first three seasons at Virginia Tech, appearing in 92 games and starting 17 contests.

“I have had a great five-year experience here at Virginia Tech,” Thompson said. “I leave Blacksburg with my degree and with a lifetime of friends. This is a very difficult decision to make, but I feel the need to move closer to my daughter and become a full-time parent to her. I want to thank Coach Greenberg, all the coaches and all my teammates for all they have meant to me and know that I will always be a Hokie.”

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good find on the story. Nothing wrong with wanting to be closer to his kid after he put in 5 years at VT and got his degree. I hope it works out for him.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's a shame to lose DFS, but I think Montrezl is probably a bigger factor in the future success of the Hokies.

If they manage to hang on to him, I think they'll be fine. They do need some good assistant coaches right now.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame to lose DFS, but I think Montrezl is probably a bigger factor in the future success of the Hokies.

If they manage to hang on to him, I think they'll be fine. They do need some good assistant coaches right now.

I've heard the assistants are going to be Mark Byington (CofC), Ramon Williams (Ohio), and Kurt Kanaskie (Navy). Sounds like basically a done deal. If we get them, hang on to Trez, and can pick up some guard (from anywhere I don't care), then I will consider this transition a success.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've heard the assistants are going to be Mark Byington (CofC), Ramon Williams (Ohio), and Kurt Kanaskie (Navy). Sounds like basically a done deal. If we get them, hang on to Trez, and can pick up some guard (from anywhere I don't care), then I will consider this transition a success.

I'd call that a success as well.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know much about the other 2 but I have heard a lot of good things about Byington

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Byington would be great.

He was close to a head coaching position earlier in the season.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know much about the other 2 but I have heard a lot of good things about Byington

Williams is from the area, played at VMI- that's about all I know. I wanna say Kanaskie coached at Penn State with JJ.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like quoting a bunch of people so here are just some of my added thoughts.

-Whoever asked about Harrell, I don't believe he's officially asked for a release. It's just speculation that he might. I checked his Twitter for any hints and the dude still has "VT Commit" in his bio. I would assume JJ has met with him already (he better have). It may be wishful thinking, but if he hasn't decomitted by now, I don't think he'd do it.

-My guess is Doe Doe is headed to an SEC school. I'd say Florida and Alabama are likely. Both are places he can thrive.

-Our team without Harrell isn't very good. My guess its Rankin, Green, Eddie, Barksdale, Raines. On your bench you've got Brown and two unknowns with Wood and Van Zegeren. There's virtually no depth at guard and honestly, not a lot of scoring outside of Green. Eddie is hit or miss and Raines showed flashes that he could be a nice center but I'm not ready to say he's a threat just yet. This is why we need Harrell now that DFS is gone. Getting Harrell, should give us more of a post presence. He's supposedly a work horse down low. He can snag a lot of rebounds for 2nd chance points. They say he's athletic so he might be able to slide over some as a 3, allowing Eddie to play 2-guard to mask our lack of depth at guard.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Harrell might be waiting on Kentucky. They're still trying to get Amile Jefferson, so Harrell is not a priority right now, which only helps us.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@RTD_MikeBarber: #Hokies basketball signee Montrezl Harrell (Hargrave) has requested release from his letter of intent.

:(

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man this season could be rough.