• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I was hoping... but Barber said he doesn't want to form a whole new relationship with a new coach. 2013 will probably be a difficult year for JJ to recruit since he's going to be way behind other coaches.

Sounds like Barber wasn't really all that keen on VT then. I can't imagine him having such a meaningful relationship with Greenberg given how much the NCAA regulates recruiting. It's not like they were BFFs spending hours upon hours with each other. How much effort could it be to start a recruiting relationship with a new coach? We've seen in football where some coaches will come in within the last month or so and totally cherry pick a guy from another school.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Barber wasn't really all that keen on VT then. I can't imagine him having such a meaningful relationship with Greenberg given how much the NCAA regulates recruiting. It's not like they were BFFs spending hours upon hours with each other. How much effort could it be to start a recruiting relationship with a new coach? We've seen in football where some coaches will come in within the last month or so and totally cherry pick a guy from another school.

Football recruiting is very different from basketball recruiting. There's a lot more emphasis on the coach in basketball compared to football. Most of the time in football, the person recruiting you is not even your position coach. In basketball, the head coach is the person you will be working with nearly every day. Having a good relationship with him can be very important to some players. Apparently the head coach was an important factor for Barber and he liked Greenberg.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SportsHoopla Hokies ‏ @HokiesHoopla
per @DavidTeelatDP, Hokie commit #MarshallWood will stay with the #Hokies after #JamesJohnson met with him today! #HOKIENATION

hells to the ya!! hopefully harrell will also!!!!

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Wood is still prepping, as persuaded by his AAU coach, right?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
But Wood is still prepping, as persuaded by his AAU coach, right?

I dont think he'd need to commit if he was going to prep, but not sure if thats right or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I mean he signed his LOI right? If he was going to prep that voids his LOI, so his recruitment would be back open. I dont see the need for an announcement if it doesnt mean he is at VT next year.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marshall Wood is sticking with the Hokies!!!!!

he met with Johnson today and decided to stay!!!

I think that's pretty big, right? At least that's what all the articles have said over the past few weeks.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more concerned about getting Harrell back then Wood because I think Harrell will be able to contribute from the get go. I think Wood will take a year or so before he is able to contribute.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Johnson manages to hold on to Harrell and Wood, then that bodes pretty well for the future of VT basketball.

That's one of the three steps Giannotto of the Washington Post outlined in Johnson's road to success. Kind of obvious, mind you, but a definite step in the right direction.

The guy is on the case. Next up, he needs some good assistants.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Johnson manages to hold on to Harrell and Wood, then that bodes pretty well for the future of VT basketball.

That's one of the three steps Giannotto of the Washington Post outlined in Johnson's road to success. Kind of obvious, mind you, but a definite step in the right direction.

The guy is on the case. Next up, he needs some good assistants.

The names I keep hearing for assistants are Mark Byington (CofC) and Ron Everhart (Duquesne). I don't know a whole lot about either of them, other than they both seem like they would be good hires

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Harrell closer to staying than Wood?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
David Teel‏@DavidTeelatDP
This from plugged-in Charleston columnist. MT @Sapakoff: Really looking like Mark Byington will bolt College of Charleston for #Hokies.

-----------------------

Mark Byington Bio

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From the Bio:

"Mark Byington is in his sixth season as the top assistant to head coach Bobby Cremins and ninth overall at the College of Charleston. He was appointed interim head coach on Jan. 27, 2012.

Recognized as one of the top assistant coaches in the country by his peers in a national league-by-league poll compiled by CBSSports.com senior college basketball writer Jeff Goodman last fall, Byington was tabbed the No. 1 assistant in the Southern Conference..."

JJ is showing some early signs of success.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Bio:

"Mark Byington is in his sixth season as the top assistant to head coach Bobby Cremins and ninth overall at the College of Charleston. He was appointed interim head coach on Jan. 27, 2012.

Recognized as one of the top assistant coaches in the country by his peers in a national league-by-league poll compiled by CBSSports.com senior college basketball writer Jeff Goodman last fall, Byington was tabbed the No. 1 assistant in the Southern Conference..."

JJ is showing some early signs of success.

Sounds like a great hire, wonder why he didn't get the head gig when Cremins retired?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know, but their loss is our gain in this instance.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more concerned about getting Harrell back then Wood because I think Harrell will be able to contribute from the get go. I think Wood will take a year or so before he is able to contribute.

I would agree that Harrell is more likely to contribute in year 1, especially with DFS and Eddie already at the 3 spot, but getting Wood back in the fold is still huge.