• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't really disagree... Who among the rumored candidates would a new AD have trouble firing?

If dude isn't winning, dude gets canned. This applies to everyone not named Joe Paterno, and it almost didnt apply to him.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Frank Beamer Coaching Record | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Sometimes it pays to be patient if you think you have the right guy, though. I wonder if the VT AD would have been this patient in the modern atmosphere of college sports.

Not old enough to actually remember it but have always heard stories about it being close for Beamer even back then. I know at one time he was forced to replace a lot of the staff. My uncle says that even though he didnt stay at VT long, Frank wouldnt have made it without Phil elmassion.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anybody catch the press conference today? It's still early but I haven't found a good write up of what was said.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to it, fairly uneventful. Andy Bitter did a pretty good job on twitter giving updates if you're interested, I would check his page out

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Did anybody catch the press conference today? It's still early but I haven't found a good write up of what was said.

-there was a lot of "thankful" people.

-IIRC Weaver basically said he wouldnt talk about any other candidates for the job.

-JJ is making roughly 650k yearly

-No talks so far between he and seth

-JJ said he like some things about the things in place at VT and some that he didnt

-I couldnt really listen (people in the office) but from what i caught no mention of assistants.

eh, thats basically all i got.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to it, fairly uneventful. Andy Bitter did a pretty good job on twitter giving updates if you're interested, I would check his page out

Thanks. Just checked it out. I was hoping someone would ask him what style he was going to employ but I guess no one did. At least Bitter didn't mention it. I'm a little intrigued by the comment JJ made, something along the lines of "he didn't see any deficiencies in Greenberg's program". I wonder what he meant by that exactly. Does he mean he basically going to run the program the exact same way, were they even talking about Xs and Os, or was he just brushing off the question because he didn't want to go into detail and potentially badmouth SG.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Just checked it out. I was hoping someone would ask him what style he was going to employ but I guess no one did. At least Bitter didn't mention it. I'm a little intrigued by the comment JJ made, something along the lines of "he didn't see any deficiencies in Greenberg's program". I wonder what he meant by that exactly. Does he mean he basically going to run the program the exact same way, were they even talking about Xs and Os, or was he just brushing off the question because he didn't want to go into detail and potentially badmouth SG.

I took it as he just didn't want to badmouth Seth, but that's just me.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little intrigued by the comment JJ made, something along the lines of "he didn't see any deficiencies in Greenberg's program". I wonder what he meant by that exactly. Does he mean he basically going to run the program the exact same way, were they even talking about Xs and Os, or was he just brushing off the question because he didn't want to go into detail and potentially badmouth SG.

I think he was just trying to tread lightly on the whole Greenberg thing. He mentioned that he hadn't even talked to Greenberg since he said he was going to leave for Clemson. I have to think Greenberg is the reason he left though with how all of this went down, what the players are saying, and the whole 'money isn't the issue' thing, so I'm guessing he wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers early.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
-there was a lot of "thankful" people.

-IIRC Weaver basically said he wouldnt talk about any other candidates for the job.

-JJ is making roughly 650k yearly

-No talks so far between he and seth

-JJ said he like some things about the things in place at VT and some that he didnt

-I couldnt really listen (people in the office) but from what i caught no mention of assistants.

eh, thats basically all i got.

650K is easily the lowest in the ACC. It's less than 1/2 of SG's compensation. VCU, ODU, and GMU offer more than 650K. The "saved" money better go to good use!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
650K is easily the lowest in the ACC. It's less than 1/2 of SG's compensation. VCU, ODU, and GMU offer more than 650K. The "saved" money better go to good use!

Im hopeful its for top notch assistants.

BTW I wouldnt take any of what i said as gospel. Like i said there were people in my office so i could only half listen.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so has anyone heard anything about any recruits decommiting?

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dang...well that sucks...hopefully it's just the one...iirc correctly, weren't there 2 guys thinking of decommiting?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think we have a good chance with Harrell over 50% but wood is as good as gone IMO.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The saved money appears to be going towards Seth's buyout, because Weaver stated the total package for the assistants would match Clemson....around $475,000....tied for the lowest in the ACC. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. We need a top notch assistant to come in and help JJ get off to a good start. And after hearing JJ speak, I am a little worried. He was soft spoken and sounded a little like Chuck Amato. He never really got into X's and O's. I also heard that Harrell was requesting his release today as well. Something else I found odd was that Weaver basically consulted the current players on the coaching search. That leads me to believe this hire was only based on our short term situation.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as recruits go... the firing of Greenberg also pretty much cut ties with the 2013 PG Anthony Barber who is a 5-star on rivals. Many considered us to be the leader before Greenberg was fired.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as recruits go... the firing of Greenberg also pretty much cut ties with the 2013 PG Anthony Barber who is a 5-star on rivals. Many considered us to be the leader before Greenberg was fired.

Everything I've read the last 2 days indicates JJ is some sort of awesome recruiter/great guy so maybe he'll use his charms on Barber to change his mind

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I've read the last 2 days indicates JJ is some sort of awesome recruiter/great guy so maybe he'll use his charms on Barber to change his mind

That's what I was hoping... but Barber said he doesn't want to form a whole new relationship with a new coach. 2013 will probably be a difficult year for JJ to recruit since he's going to be way behind other coaches.