• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW @ Colorado

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game was a real mixed bag.

Defense wasn't strong in the first half, but played very well in the second. Their tackling was fucking horrible in that first half. Just basic technique kind of stuff. They were able to play a lot better when the game was on the line and that's encouraging.

Only 3 penalties in the game. In that regard they were outstanding in those little details that have dogged them so much this year.

Turned the ball over 3 times. Can't have that. Shaq admitted one of them was on him. He thought Miles was going to keep the ball and let it go at the mesh point. The others related to simply catching the fucking ball from the snap? :L Holy crap is Miles bad most of the time...

He was able to complete some quality passes this week thanks in no small part to them having a real running game with Shaq out there. Helps that Colorado is fucking awful against the run. How much of that was Shaq, and how much of it was the line just finally finding a defense they can block against? Either way, that's what the offense would look like if they had consistent balance. It's something to build on.

Special teams - first punt return for a TD since 2003. That was the longest such drought in all of the power 5 conferences. Sad that this was the case, but happy Pettis broke that.

Team scored 38 points, however 14 of them came off of turnovers and 7 off that punt return. That leaves just 17 points created from offense. Despite the balance on that side of the ball, the turnovers just killed their production.

It was brought up that the broadcasters pointed out they wouldn't have won without Shaq. :wtf: First of all, it wasn't the "team", it was Allioti and it was a knee jerk reaction from a former DC. Second of all, 21 of UW's 38 points came from a source not related to Shaq in any way. Move him to defense in place of the freshman Bierria (who missed many tackles in that game) and it's reasonable to assume they prevent at least 3 of their points which would be enough to win with zero offense.

The point is they DID have Shaq and he was able to do things with the holes the offensive line gave him. Again, a line that hasn't shown they can do that for anyone against a solid run blocking team and Colorado is bad.

So what is the takeaway then?

Defense misses Shaq. LB play is just not up to speed without him.
Offense showed they can throw the ball when they also can run, but can they do it against a real defense? Won't believe it until we see it.
Special teams is coming around, again against a bad team, but still.
This team flat out HATES John Ross. Not one touch in that game. Not one. Mickens only had one reception for 8y as well. Not sure what this staff is thinking, but I don't like it.
Smith did have more balance in his calls and I wouldn't actually give him a total F this time, but I still question not using your big play makers outside of Shaq AT ALL. Tells me he still doesn't really have a grasp of things.

They need Coleman and Washington back for UCLA. I don't mind them using Shaq on a few package plays IF he stays on defense for most of the snaps (a la Miles Jack), but he can't stay on offense full time. They NEED his tackling, leadership, and energy on defense if they are going to do anything against Hundley.