• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW 2019-2020 basketball thread

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to ask this...What went horribly wrong with this years team?

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went all in with 2 one and done prospects last year under an attempt to establish a precident. Unfortunately this backfired as their only real pg, Green, got suspended for academics and in the latter half of the season they resorted to an offense that was almost solely dump it into Stewart and hope he could beat double teams.

Why the recap of the previous season? Well, it screwed up this year. After Stewart and McDaniels left and the team was mediocre with them, no other one and done level talent was willing to sign up.
So a derth of talent, and an inability to run a consistent offense led to a horrible season this year, and no relief in sight for next year either.

Unless he pulls out a miracle next year and gets a +.500 team I expect Hopkins to be gone. His recruiting mistakes and inability to improve the team from a coaching scheme standpoint has doomed himself.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too expand upon this with more specifics on this years squad:
*Green was by far their best player, but he is a senior so he is gone.
*The starters next year appear to be Tsohonis, Bey, Stevenson, Roberts. I guess the 5th spot goes to the 7'4" Sorn?
-The problem with this is that Roberts and Sorn have no 3 pt shot so their ability to spread the floor with those 2 to is very limited.
*Tsohonis was mostly the PG when Green and appears to be the heir going forward. I like him for his effort and hustle but his game is flawed. He has a "weird" shot that can be effective but disappears sometimes. But more concerning is his ability to effectively run an offense is questionable, as he is inconsistent and too often mistake prone (doesn't initiate the offense very well, and turns over the ball too often). I feel he shouldn't even be a starter, let alone the PG (he hasn't been great off the ball either).
*No "stars" and/or true leaders on the team. I guess Bey will be the best player(?) next year.
*Hopkins has not shown the ability to adjust to the situations in any way, shape, or form. As a coach when you are hampered by personal with limitations, you need to adjust your systems to find a way to be effective against more talented opponents. Hopkins seemingly just runs his systems regardless of his personal's ability to execute it effectively against more physically talented opponents. He struggled enough with this when he had a talented team the previous year, let alone this years team.

I think Hopkins is gone after next year. They probably should let him go now but they owe him too much money. So..........next year is probably more of what we saw this year, then Hopkins will (probably) be fired, then another program rebuild/reboot starts.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame. I thought Hop had potential to take this program on the up and up.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame. I thought Hop had potential to take this program on the up and up.
His Syracuse zone was supposed to be revolutionary for the Pac-12 but his lack of an viable offense and talent evaluation for his sytem really is the killer.

He might be able to pull it off if Sorn suddenly becomes a seriously defensive monster in the middle. His 7'4" size is intriguing and he can move ok for his size. If he and Roberts can dominate the interior defensively, and Roberts can effectively rotate out to 3 point range in the corners there is a chance it could offset both of their lack of exterior offensive game. But it is a longshot at this point imo.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update: So far 2 assistant coaches are leaving, and starting guards Tsohonis and Stevenson both are transfering with up to 4 more players possibly also transfering.

The program is blowing up. Next year could be an even bigger disaster if they aren't very careful.