• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UVA to change athletics logo

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he looks very concerned.
He’s upset that the football team will probably not win the national championship any time in the near future.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
image.jpeg

I don't know why the UVA Mascot was made to look like a UNC Basketball player(Luke Maye)

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

%27Gator_Bait.jpg

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure you have not read any of these books.
I've read 5 of them.

Is Brazil a book or just a film? Which I've seen many times!

No idea about some of the others either.

1984, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, Lord Of The Flies, Handmaid's Tale all great.

Brave New World and A Clockwork Orange I have not read.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'd no idea at all there was any correlation to that logo and slavery.

I love that logo.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. No way. Slave owners had gotees back then. That's clearly a slave owner. Build a statue and then take it down. PRONTO.
But he has that little dot looking thing on his forehead. That’s being culturally sensitive to Indian women. It must be kept. :D

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'd no idea at all there was any correlation to that logo and slavery.

I love that logo.
No normal human thinks there is because, well, there's not.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVA to change athletics logo design linked to slavery

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — The University of Virginia is changing the logos it uses for its athletics teams just two months after they were unveiled after criticism that a design element referred to the school’s history with slavery.

Fans raised objections to the serpentine curves put on the handles of the sabres below the V for Virginia and on the Cavalier shield. They were meant to mimic “the design of the serpentine walls” that long stood on the campus, according to a statement from the school’s athletics department on Monday.

Athletic Director Carla Williams said she decided to change the logos after she was “made aware of the negative connotation between the serpentine walls and slavery.”

Historians pointed out that former President Thomas Jefferson designed the original eight-foot-high walls to muffle the sounds of slaves and hide them from public view.

“There was no intent to cause harm, but we did, and for that I apologize to those who bear the pain of slavery in our history,” Williams said.

The school has redesigned the detail in the logos to remove the curved handles, and will replace it with another version that has straight-line handles, Williams added.
Nope. The entire university was founded by a slaveowner, in part off the proceeds of slavery. Nothing less than the immediate closing of the school, rescinding of any degree awarded from it, and destruction of the rotunda into building materials for a 98 ft statue of George Floyd, will be tolerated. Otherwise, gonna be riots and stuff.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVA to change athletics logo design linked to slavery

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — The University of Virginia is changing the logos it uses for its athletics teams just two months after they were unveiled after criticism that a design element referred to the school’s history with slavery.

Fans raised objections to the serpentine curves put on the handles of the sabres below the V for Virginia and on the Cavalier shield. They were meant to mimic “the design of the serpentine walls” that long stood on the campus, according to a statement from the school’s athletics department on Monday.

Athletic Director Carla Williams said she decided to change the logos after she was “made aware of the negative connotation between the serpentine walls and slavery.”

Historians pointed out that former President Thomas Jefferson designed the original eight-foot-high walls to muffle the sounds of slaves and hide them from public view.

“There was no intent to cause harm, but we did, and for that I apologize to those who bear the pain of slavery in our history,” Williams said.

The school has redesigned the detail in the logos to remove the curved handles, and will replace it with another version that has straight-line handles, Williams added.
:dhd:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. The entire university was founded by a slaveowner, in part off the proceeds of slavery. Nothing less than the immediate closing of the school, rescinding of any degree awarded from it, and destruction of the rotunda into building materials for a 98 ft statue of George Floyd, will be tolerated. Otherwise, gonna be riots and stuff.
Any suggestions for what to do with the proceeds from the liquidation of UVA, this bastion of racism?