• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would an unbeaten Houston get a playoff spot?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Houston goes undefeated in convincing style (without 3 or 4 overly-close wins against lesser-rated competition) and Louisville does well in the ACC after being beaten by Houston, then I think Houston gets in.

If Houston is undefeated and both Oklahoma & Louisville get through their conference slates with no more than one league loss, I don't see how you can keep them out. On the other hand, if the Cardinals & Sooners both implode before the end of the season and the rest of the AAC has 3 or more losses, then it gets a bit more difficult.

As of right now, I would say Houston is in the mix.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now I would say it looks like the Big 12 is the Power-5 conference that is most likely to get left out of the playoffs. The Pac-12 could be left out if everybody knocks each other off like they did last year. If Clemson or Louisville stumbles against anyone other than each other, that could put the ACC in danger of missing out; and if anyone other than Alabama wins the SEC without going undefeated, that could jeopardize that league's standing. The only league that looks to be a shoe-in at this moment is the Big 10.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't matter, they won't go undefeated.

We've seen this movie plenty of times before. A hot team from a non-P5 league makes a splash early in the season by beating a P5 school (maybe 2, even) but then chokes on the road against one of their middling conference opponents.

If they DID go 13-0, by all means give them a spot in the Semis, but they'd probably get Bama and look about as bad as Michigan State did last year. Ohio State would whoop the ever-lovin' dogshit out of the Cougars, too.

The Committee wants 3 good games.
Then just have Ohio State and Bama play 3 times.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If an unbeaten Houston got left out this year they should legitimately just change the CFP rules to only take P5 teams. Unless the B10, SEC, ACC and P12 ALL have unbeaten Champs I can't see how you leave Houston out. We always hear people say that if a G5 wants to make the playoff they need to schedule and win big OOC games. I'm not sure how you much better than Oklahoma and Louisville in that regard. Plus Houston has already proven they belong by kicking the shit out of FSU last year. If a G5 team with that kind of resume doesn't make the playoff then none ever will and none will ever have a chance to. If that's the case then just change the rules.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston needs Louisville to win the ACC. The OU win won't matter too much, since the big 12 is probably 1 of the conferences left out of the playoff this year. If Louisville wins the ACC, but lost to Houston how do you not give Houston a playoff spot over Louisville? Now if Clemson wins the ACC, it doesn't matter Houston isn't getting in. But they should have a spot in the Big 12, who'd a thought when expansion talk started the Big 12 would actually have a candidate that make the conference better?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then just have Ohio State and Bama play 3 times.

So far, I don't see anybody that is even CLOSE to those two, and it just tears me up inside.

Louisville played a flawless game last week, but I don't think they're as great as that one ass-whomping made them appear.

SOMEbody can beat the Tide and Buckeyes, but they're going to need to play as flawless a game as the Cardinals did. I'll be praying for it

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've earned it if they can beat Louisville

Yes, and Houston it VERY lucky that Louisville beat FSU that badly. This would be a late season quality win for Houston and maybe the only thing that gets them any attention. That said, Louisville can't implode or it's probably over for Houston.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great read and I agree with Boise. If they run the table and beat Louisville I believe the earned the playoff spot.

But for this to happen, two P5 conferences won't get a spot. Right now, I think the BIG and SEC will get a team in no matter what happens. Don't know yet about the ACC. If we're assuming Louisville beats Clemson, and Houston beats Louisville, then do they get a spot? Maybe not. Stanford's schedule is not all that easy... they could lose and still get a spot if they win the conf again. This will be fun to watch as it unfolds.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But for this to happen, two P5 conferences won't get a spot. Right now, I think the BIG and SEC will get a team in no matter what happens. Don't know yet about the ACC. If we're assuming Louisville beats Clemson, and Houston beats Louisville, then do they get a spot? Maybe not. Stanford's schedule is not all that easy... they could lose and still get a spot if they win the conf again. This will be fun to watch as it unfolds.
Unless the Big XII and PAC 12 have an unbeaten team. I could see the BIG XII not getting a spot. And with how the PAC is come conference play. I could see the PAC missing out again. If Houston runs the table with wins over Oklahoma and Louisville. And the PAC and BIG XII champions have 1 loss. I believe Houston earns that last spot. I believe the B1G,SEC an ACC all get a team in again.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the Big XII and PAC 12 have an unbeaten team. I could see the BIG XII not getting a spot. And with how the PAC is come conference play. I could see the PAC missing out again. If Houston runs the table with wins over Oklahoma and Louisville. And the PAC and BIG XII champions have 1 loss. I believe Houston earns that last spot. I believe the B1G,SEC an ACC all get a team in again.

Now that you mention it, I think the ACC gets in as well. There's just too much talent in that conf not have someone in the playoffs. I would say the Big12 is out this year for sure. They just didn't do well enough in these early OOC match-ups. Texas had a nice win over ND then turned around and lost to Cal. I feel like no matter who wins the conf, we're still gonna say there are just not enough quality wins. In the PAC it's between Standard and Washington... so who knows.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the Big12 is out this year for sure. They just didn't do well enough in these early OOC match-ups.

Hey Baylor TOTALLY fuckin dominated the shit outta their OOC matchups...don't punish the Bares because the rest of those yokels couldn't pull their weight

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you mention it, I think the ACC gets in as well. There's just too much talent in that conf not have someone in the playoffs. I would say the Big12 is out this year for sure. They just didn't do well enough in these early OOC match-ups. Texas had a nice win over ND then turned around and lost to Cal. I feel like no matter who wins the conf, we're still gonna say there are just not enough quality wins. In the PAC it's between Standard and Washington... so who knows.
Barring a complete disaster I cant see Clemson or Louisville not getting in. I think the only thing that may take Louisville out is a loss to Houston. And even then if things fall into place i see them still having a very solid case for a spot. The FSU loss was early and to a very good Louisville team I cant write them off either.

Unless Alabamas wheels fall off they are in imo. And even then there are far too many SEC teams in good position for that slot.

The B1G has way too much talent. The conference has been extremely strong. And won quite a few big OOC games. They may have the most potential to get 2 teams in since the inception of the playoffs. I would be shocked if they didn't have a team in the playoffs.

The PAC doesn't have the greatest SOS. And I think it requires an undefeated team to make the playoffs.And with conference play beginning. Which has bee a crap shoot as of late. I don't like the odds they produce an unbeaten team. The North seems to trend towards Stanford,Oregon and Washington knocking one another off. And the South is a complete shoot out. The PAC in general has had a consistent trend for upsets in general.Combined with a lack of ranked teams. I could very easily see them missing the playoffs again.

The BIG XII took some major hits. Oklahoma deserves a lot of credit for their OOC scheduling. But the risk didn't pan out in their favor. Texas was a surprise and looked very good. But the loss vs Cal hurt a lot. Oklahoma State took a major hit with the CMU game. Baylor and West Virginia may be their best shot but I don't see that happening. Especially if Texas plays Baylor like last year.

If Houston runs the table and everything falls into place. Where they have two top 5 wins. Or A top 5 win and a potential high ranked win regardless.Louisville does play Clemson first. And it would depend on that game and how the rankings pan out by time they play Houston.Its going to be very hard to overlook Houston imo

Theres a lot of football to be played still. But Houston is in a good position

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Baylor TOTALLY fuckin dominated the shit outta their OOC matchups...don't punish the Bares because the rest of those yokels couldn't pull their weight

30582-Krusty-the-Klown-Me-So-Solly-g-HjpJ.gif

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring a complete disaster I cant see Clemson or Louisville not getting in. I think the only thing that may take Louisville out is a loss to Houston. And even then if things fall into place i see them still having a very solid case for a spot. The FSU loss was early and to a very good Louisville team I cant write them off either.

Unless Alabamas wheels fall off they are in imo. And even then there are far too many SEC teams in good position for that slot.

The B1G has way too much talent. The conference has been extremely strong. And won quite a few big OOC games. They may have the most potential to get 2 teams in since the inception of the playoffs. I would be shocked if they didn't have a team in the playoffs.

The PAC doesn't have the greatest SOS. And I think it requires an undefeated team to make the playoffs.And with conference play beginning. Which has bee a crap shoot as of late. I don't like the odds they produce an unbeaten team. The North seems to trend towards Stanford,Oregon and Washington knocking one another off. And the South is a complete shoot out. The PAC in general has had a consistent trend for upsets in general.Combined with a lack of ranked teams. I could very easily see them missing the playoffs again.

The BIG XII took some major hits. Oklahoma deserves a lot of credit for their OOC scheduling. But the risk didn't pan out in their favor. Texas was a surprise and looked very good. But the loss vs Cal hurt a lot. Oklahoma State took a major hit with the CMU game. Baylor and West Virginia may be their best shot but I don't see that happening. Especially if Texas plays Baylor like last year.

If Houston runs the table and everything falls into place. Where they have two top 5 wins. Or A top 5 win and a potential high ranked win regardless.Louisville does play Clemson first. And it would depend on that game and how the rankings pan out by time they play Houston.Its going to be very hard to overlook Houston imo

Theres a lot of football to be played still. But Houston is in a good position

If Louisville does get beat by UH an still gets in, I can see where this is a great case for getting UH in as well. I think hell would have to freeze over before Bama's wheels fell off. Sabans record speaks for itself. It is early, but I think they're a lock. As for the BIG.. someone for sure goes. I think it's between OSU and MSU, but I guess we'll have to see what happens with UM in the mix as well. PAC... well, we'll just have to see. I don't really know what to expect other than chaos.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pac-12 would likely be screwed

No one ever gets through that league unbeaten