• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA Basketball 2016

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he has played for the Sacramento Adversities his entire career. I'd take his 27/11 and deal having to reign him in at times. He plays hard and continues to improve. I can see durability being more of a concern than attitude.

He's had issues at every level due to his attitude.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still performed pretty well.

Individually, sure.

Chemistry matters though. I can't think of a single championship team over the last 35 years that has had an emotionally immature player as their best guy. If he is second or third, maybe, but not as your team leader.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Individually, sure.

Chemistry matters though. I can't think of a single championship team over the last 35 years that has had an emotionally immature player as their best guy. If he is second or third, maybe, but not as your team leader.
So would you want him on your team? Is your team the Wiz btw?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im going friday. good chance to see some all time greats live, good seats, and for a reasonable price

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cousins does share a large burden of his issues, but the continuous circle of head coach's he's had hasn't helped his situation.

In his 6 year career he's had the following coaches:

Paul Westphal
Keith Smart
Mike Malone
George Karl

In my opinion, Cousins really seemed like he was turning a corner with Malone. Then the team jettisoned him and brought in Karl who immediately began the sabotage.

Cousins needs to have some veteran leadership, who will help him to tone it down and focus on the game. He's still a beast of a player. I think with the right setting, right front office and right surrounding cast, he could turn out to be a really, really great player. Unfortunately that's going to be a lot of things that has to go right.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would you want him on your team? Is your team the Wiz btw?

Yes, Wizards.

Would I want him? Given the alternative, which is continuing to be irelevant, sure it is worth the gamble. Also, the Wizards have a unique situation because he and Wall have history together at UK. Wall has his head on straight, so maybe Cousins follows his lead.

There are not many places, however, where he would be set up for success. I don't think Washington is one, but no I would not pass the chance to get him. If I were a legit contender though, I would be very careful what I gave up to land him.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Wizards.

Would I want him? Given the alternative, which is continuing to be irelevant, sure it is worth the gamble. Also, the Wizards have a unique situation because he and Wall have history together at UK. Wall has his head on straight, so maybe Cousins follows his lead.

There are not many places, however, where he would be set up for success. I don't think Washington is one, but no I would not pass the chance to get him. If I were a legit contender though, I would be very careful what I gave up to land him.
I'd be willing to bet a lot of teams would take that gamble. He's just too talented to not give it a shot.

Edit: I used to be in your camp btw. I thought the risk was too much, but my opinion has changed the more I watch him play.

Last edited:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cousins does share a large burden of his issues, but the continuous circle of head coach's he's had hasn't helped his situation.

Paul Westphal
Keith Smart
Mike Malone
George Karl

In my opinion, Cousins really seemed like he was turning a corner with Malone. Then the team jettisoned him and brought in Karl who immediately began the sabotage.

Cousins needs to have some veteran leadership, who will help him to tone it down and focus on the game. He's still a beast of a player. I think with the right setting, right front office and right surrounding cast, he could turn out to be a really, really great player. Unfortunately that's going to be a lot of things that has to go right.

The firing of Mike Malone solidified the Kings front office as inept.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to seeing Team USA at the Olympics given Team Canada didn't make it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to bet a lot of teams would take that gamble. He's just too talented to not give it a shot.

Edit: I used to be in your camp btw. I thought the risk was too much, but my opinion has changed the more I watch him play.

I think the following teams are either contenders or have something good cooking:

GOlden State
Cleveland

San Antonio to a lesser extent- don't think Boogie fits here
Minnesota- young, championship caliber talent, don't want Cousins leading
Boston- many pieces, they need to make a move, but Cousins is the wrong target, IMO. Not a strong enough culture there.

Everyone else has little to lose, so why not?

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the following teams are either contenders or have something good cooking:

GOlden State
Cleveland

Boston- many pieces, they need to make a move, but Cousins is the wrong target, IMO. Not a strong enough culture there.

There are a lot of players that had attitude problems that won with good teams too. Rodman, Rasheed, J.R. Smith, a certain nut puncher in the Bay Area. I think he might be a good fit most places tbh.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King Kyrie with another clutch buzzer beater taking his talents world wide now

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of players that had attitude problems that won with good teams too. Rodman, Rasheed, J.R. Smith, a certain nut puncher in the Bay Area. I think he might be a good fit most places tbh.

Correct, but the key is an alpha male locker rom presence to keep them in check.

LeBron in Cleveland with JR, Jordan and Phil in Chicago with Rodman, and Chauncy Billups + a great surrounding culture in Detroit.

Also, none of those players you mentioned were the best guy on their team. That is a pretty important detail. Others tend to follow the lead of the best player. If he is lazy or selfish, then that attitude tends to trickle down. It is hard to find a non-contending team where Cousins would not be the best player.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, I don't think it is fair to put Draymond and Rasheed in that class. Those guys have winning mentalities, just bad tempers. There is a difference. Rodman gave everything he had on the court, he was just impossible to control off of it. Phil Jackson was brilliant in that he did not try to curtail Rodman's antics, he let him be who he was knowing that Jordan and Pippen were going to lead the rest regardless of where Rodman's head was at.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GOlden State
Cleveland

I'm not in favor of the Lakers bringing him in either. Too many young, impressionable players to taint.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paul Westphal
Keith Smart
Mike Malone
George Karl

He bears some portion of the responsibility for those changes (other than Malone). What vets do you think could reach him that are in a situation he would fit? Maybe New York with Melo? Chicago? I don't see the fit in Cleveland or SA (and definitely not GS). Somewhere with CP3 (if he leaves the Clips)?

At some point, he has to be responsible for himself. He's only 25, but he's been in the league for 6 years already. Maturity has to take over at some point soon.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't think it is fair to put Draymond and Rasheed in that class. Those guys have winning mentalities, just bad tempers. There is a difference. Rodman gave everything he had on the court, he was just impossible to control off of it. Phil Jackson was brilliant in that he did not try to curtail Rodman's antics, he let him be who he was knowing that Jordan and Pippen were going to lead the rest regardless of where Rodman's head was at.
I guess it comes down to how bad you think Demarcus really is. I know there were some issues at Kentucky, but he was just a kid. Some of that stuff seemed to be overblown as well. Even Wall defended him saying he was a great teamate and there was absolutely nothing wrong with him at all.

Look, if he played for almost anybody but Sacramento and this locker room stuff was coming up, i'd be a little more likely to give it some heavy pause. But the fact is, that team is a train wreck and he's an emotional guy. I think his some of his frustrations are very much justified and as we all know, he wears his heart on his sleeve just like the players I mentioned.

The dude is incredibly talented and still very young. I guess my hope would be that a fresh start might be exactly what he needs.