• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Washington

DearSirOrMadam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who names anything anything that they hate? GPM was a known racist but nobody aint nobody gonna convince me he named his team the Redskins with hatred and disgust in his heart. The name was never meant to offend, but honor. Regardless what "some" people view as racist the name was derived originally on the contrare. I'm not a fan of the team but will feel cheated as an NFL fan if they are forced to change the name because of this snowball effect on public persuasion. Just my one cent.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing interesting here is how far is the government going to go over this and can they have the success they want without impacting the teams bottom line more? This patent issue reduces some income sources, but not enough to impact them to the point where they are driven to change the name.

Unless major sponsors either threaten to pull their support for the team, or more likely the league, there isn't much chance something gets done. Money talks in this world and so far the money is saying there is no problem with the status quo and that's despite a relentless campaign against it.

I do predict the name will change eventually. Like at least 10-20 years out. And 50 years from now no one will care that it changed. I'm not sure if it is a good thing or not as I really don't care either way.

I'm just more interested in watching the federal government over step in these things and seeing how much real power they are willing to spend, and how far it actually takes them. So far it hasn't done shit and that's funny to me.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing this defense for keeping the name "The word redskins is only ever used when referring to the Football team".

This is actually the best defense for why it should be changed. How many of you would ever use the word Redskins to describe the Native American people? Well why not? Because its a derogatory, mean-spirited word. None of you would walk up to a Native American, friend or stranger, and say "Hey what's up Redskin". Or describe someone you know, "yeah he's a redskin".

That is the only mascot name out there that people couldn't also use in other contexts. I can use the word Cheif, Raider, Buccaneer etc in other contexts all I want because there is nothing inherently derogatory about those words.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question over right and wrong has been played out for some time. Few find it offensive in the first place and the question of do you FORCE a change over everything in society that a small number might be offended by has been answered already. You can't fix everything people find offensive. You just can't.

Seems to me this thread is asking more about the political side of it after this move through the patent office. That's far more interesting. It is a major over stepping by the government and so far this is all they have been able to do, and at first glance it isn't nearly enough to force a change.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing this defense for keeping the name "The word redskins is only ever used when referring to the Football team".

This is actually the best defense for why it should be changed. How many of you would ever use the word Redskins to describe the Native American people? Well why not? Because its a derogatory, mean-spirited word. None of you would walk up to a Native American, friend or stranger, and say "Hey what's up Redskin". Or describe someone you know, "yeah he's a redskin".

That is the only mascot name out there that people couldn't also use in other contexts. I can use the word Cheif, Raider, Buccaneer etc in other contexts all I want because there is nothing inherently derogatory about those words.

Actually I would be quite fine with a name change, if an unbiased poll of the NA community showed that this was an issue of importance to them and the majority of them felt offended by the context of HOW the Redskins Franchise has used the name. There are too many NA schools using the name, to believe, at this point, that the majority of NAs feel offended. This may change, if so, the name should change too.

I'm more concerned about government being the arbiter of acceptable words and images. Slippery slope here. Lot of free speech and personal liberties that go under fire if this gets set as a precedent. When government determines what is offensive, big problems ensue.

If a change occurs because of a ground swell of outrage and majority public support within the NA community, then so be it.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I would be quite fine with a name change, if an unbiased poll of the NA community showed that this was an issue of importance to them and the majority of them felt offended by the context of HOW the Redskins Franchise has used the name. There are too many NA schools using the name, to believe, at this point, that the majority of NAs feel offended. This may change, if so, the name should change too.

I'm more concerned about government being the arbiter of acceptable words and images. Slippery slope here. Lot of free speech and personal liberties that go under fire if this gets set as a precedent. When government determines what is offensive, big problems ensue.

If a change occurs because of a ground swell of outrage and majority public support within the NA community, then so be it.

I completely agree that this is a change that should be brought about by public outcry and PR issues within the organization, not forced by the government.

I'm not too concerned about the government doing that. This ruling by the trademark people really does nothing beyond giving more attention to the outcry. Let's not forget that this ruling was brought about by a group of the public making a petition. I don't see this as overstepping any bounds at all.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see an updated survey asked to all native americans or at least a very large sample size of each tribe...

4 Questions needed-all with 3 choices YES, NO, dont care

1. Are you a football fan
2. Are you a washington redskins fan
3. Are you offended by the term Redskin
4. Should Washington change its name

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see it sorted by location and tribe...

Honestly, should a native american from Wyoming have the same input as a native american in maryland??

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the name. Put these on the helmets:

th

...and tell the butthurt Native Americans to bugger off.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL no not even close, its for the same reason I don't go up to other whites or americans and call them patriots or Vikings or cowboys. Its because it doesn't occur to me not because I'm worried its wrong.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL no not even close, its for the same reason I don't go up to other whites or americans and call them patriots or Vikings or cowboys. Its because it doesn't occur to me not because I'm worried its wrong.

So you're saying that if it did occur to you... you would have no problem using that word to describe the Native American people?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
you would have no problem using that word to describe the Native American people?

I wouldn't. Just like I have no problem calling my French buddy Frenchy or my Russian friend Natasha (which is not her real name, but it's the name of the Russian chick from Rocky & Bullwinkle). But, as always, if someone in particular doesn't want to be called something I'll oblige them. I'll call 'em whatever they want to be called. I actually have a black friend who asks to be called the N word and then his nickname. As in N-word-Borris (the Borris part is hypothetical). So I call him that. Don't care who else it offends because I'm not calling those people anything.

People can call me whitey, Guido (I'm Italian), grease ball or a number of other names if they want because I'm not a giant, complaining bitch about it.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find the majority of this this thread to be startling. Some of the only logical posts in the whole thread are the ones with multiple thumb-downs.

1) At best, the term is simply a description of the color of the skin of a particular race. At worst, it is a hateful, disparaging term. Either way, the use of it as a mascot name is indefensible.

2) There is no other current mascot name that is anywhere close to being comparable to the term 'Redskin'.

3) Oh, there's a hooplan who is part native american and not offended?!? Someone tell the court. This changes everything. My wife is 1/4 Native American and she's not particularly offended.... but that doesn't matter one bit.

4) The idea that because the term has been used in the past by Native Americans that it must not be offensive is beyond ridiculous. Carry that over to other disparaging terms and see where that gets you.

5) The prevalent notion of "get over it, stop crying, don't be such a baby" is cruel, especially given the history of how the Native American's have been treated in this country. This is 1 of 100 reasons that your "Well, I wouldn't care if a team was called the 'crackers'" argument is laughably irrelevant.

POINT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't. Just like I have no problem calling my French buddy Frenchy or my Russian friend Natasha (which is not her real name, but it's the name of the Russian chick from Rocky & Bullwinkle). But, as always, if someone in particular doesn't want to be called something I'll oblige them. I'll call 'em whatever they want to be called. I actually have a black friend who asks to be called the N word and then his nickname. As in N-word-Borris (the Borris part is hypothetical). So I call him that. Don't care who else it offends because I'm not calling those people anything.

People can call me whitey, Guido (I'm Italian), grease ball or a number of other names if they want because I'm not a giant, complaining bitch about it.

That's awesome. You are such the bigger person! Remind me again...at what point were the Italians oppressed in this country?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's awesome. You are such the bigger person! Remind me again...at what point were the Italians oppressed in this country?

Remind me again at what point ANY race was oppressed in this country? Oh that's right: like 50 years ago.

So because certain people were oppressed 50 years ago that means we all have to do whatever liberals say (liberals, not Native Americans) because liberals claim to speak for minorities (even though it was Democrats who were the pro-slave party & the founders of the KKK and a higher percentage of Republicans voted for the civil rights acts than Dem's, which LBJ opposed in the Senate).

And the name of a football team isn't oppressing anybody. The only entity that has done any oppressing here is the The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, which arbitrarily took sides in a political issue. Why would anyone give two shits about what lib's claim is racist anyway? Opposing ANYTHING they say is racist in their eyes somehow.

"I'll have those N*****s voting Democrat for the next 200 years" -Lyndon B Johnson

"Free Soil, Free Men, and Frémont" -John C. Frémont, 1856 first Republican Pres' candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heres the smoking gun!!! the name was never meant to honor anyone or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzI1PRaYe_0

Mmmm they were called the Braves, right? Can we agree that was meant to be respectful and meant to honor NA? Unfortunately to many other teams were called Braves so to avoid confusion they found another term they felt would similarly convey the same idea and settled on Redskins and this is a smoking gun? :noidea:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because certain people were oppressed 50 years ago that means we all have to do whatever liberals say (liberals, not Native Americans) because liberals claim to speak for minorities (even though it was Democrats who were the pro-slave party & the founders of the KKK and a higher percentage of Republicans voted for the civil rights acts than Dem's, which LBJ opposed in the Senate).

All that proves is that historically speaking, liberal doesn't equal democrat and conservative doesn't equal republican. Throughout American history ideology has been fluid between the parties. It's not like the conservative Republican party abolished slavery, they were the liberal party.

Last edited by a moderator: