• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Washington

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a badge of honor.

Being a redskin fan IS a badge of honor to me. It connotes an NFL football fan of a franchise that's been beloved since 1932, in this context. Which is HOW it is used almost exclusively in this day and age. As an honorific, NOT a slur.

And I could give two shits about anyone who calls me a racist because of it.

You're welcome to feel that way tho and I'm not going to try and tell you to think differently. Thats the beauty of the way I choose to think.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a redskin fan IS a badge of honor to me. It connotes an NFL football fan of a franchise that's been beloved since 1932, in this context. Which is HOW it is used almost exclusively in this day and age. As an honorific, NOT a slur.

And I could give two shits about anyone who calls me a racist because of it.

You're welcome to feel that way tho and I'm not going to try and tell you to think differently. Thats the beauty of the way I choose to think.

I'm not calling anyone a racist. The poster I responded to called himself one.

I also understand your pain. I've been through much worse as a football fan in Baltimore. I actually have a constant reminder of it every time I see the team based in Indianapolis play.

This being said...changing the name is the right thing to do. Hell...maybe they can pick a new name that the fans as a whole can actually relate to, instead of one that was picked while the team was in Massachusetts. It's too bad you can't change the owner though.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not calling anyone a racist. The poster I responded to called himself one.

I also understand your pain. I've been through much worse as a football fan in Baltimore. I actually have a constant reminder of it every time I see the team based in Indianapolis play.

This being said...changing the name is the right thing to do. Hell...maybe they can pick a new name that the fans as a whole can actually relate to, instead of one that was picked while the team was in Massachusetts. It's too bad you can't change the owner though.

Indeed you can understand my pain over this. The Colts flight out of Baltimore in the dead of night was an embarrassment and absurdity.

I have already noted what my preference for a name change would be, if one is forced on us. I actually don't think it's the right thing to do. Maybe I'd feel differently if I believed there was a great consensus amongst NAs themselves. But with so many NAs having schools with the name redskins, and so many being the fan of my team and logo, it's hard to take seriously.

'Skins' is just fine with me as a name change. Change the logo to a spear. No one can bitch and gripe. Anything else just feels like caving to faux outrage on the part of a vocal few, most not NA, who care not about affecting real change for NA issues. If they did, they'd be focusing on what really would bring about positive change, not a name that has never intended NAs any disrespect, only honor.

I Understand and respect that you feel differently about it, tho. And yes, Snyder is painful to bear at times, but I support him fully on this issue. :suds:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have decided that if Snyder IS forced to change the name, I am most comfortable with dropping the 'red'. And being named the 'skins'. Use the spear logo. That is IF, it has to change. I call the team skins more than I call them redskins already.

[MEDIA=twitter]481259469687775232[/MEDIA]

That tweet is the dumbest thing ever. They have a "redskin" on their logo. Arguing that it has a separate meaning is absolutely absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this kind of sums it up:

If you think you are preserving our culture or your history [by retaining the name Redksins], then may I suggest a change? To live up to your name, your team would field only two men to the opponents eleven. Your player’s wives would be required to face the men of the opposing team. After having lost every game in good faith, you would be requited to remain in RKF stadium’s end zone for the rest of your life living off what the other teams had left you. (Which wouldn’t be much.)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

If you think you are preserving our culture or your history [by retaining the name Redksins], then may I suggest a change? To live up to your name, your team would field only two men to the opponents eleven. Your player’s wives would be required to face the men of the opposing team. After having lost every game in good faith, you would be requited to remain in RKF stadium’s end zone for the rest of your life living off what the other teams had left you. (Which wouldn’t be much.)

Exactly. I remember reading in history class about how Daniel Snyder stole from, raped and pillaged the Native Americans for hundreds of years. Man that guy is old!

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I remember reading in history class about how Daniel Snyder stole from, raped and pillaged the Native Americans for hundreds of years. Man that guy is old!

Which has nothing to do with the point of the quote, but carry on.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tweet is the dumbest thing ever. They have a "redskin" on their logo. Arguing that it has a separate meaning is absolutely absurd.

Yes of course, context and intent, when using the word Redskin to refer to an NFL football team means absolutely nothing. Btw, the logo was created by a NA. So of course, it follows that it was designed as an insult.

I'm not claiming anything other than 82 years of tradition and bull shit on a PC agenda that has nothing to do with fixing anything tangible within the NA community. A community that has many schools using the name Redskins, I might add. This is very simply about Money, notoriety and government trying to overstep it's boundaries.

And what team is required to 'live' up to their team name?

I have no problem respectfully disagreeing with you, but this line of thinking is flawed.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes of course, context and intent, when using the word Redskin to refer to an NFL football team means absolutely nothing. Btw, the logo was created by a NA. So of course, it follows that it was designed as an insult.

I'm not claiming anything other than 82 years of tradition and bull shit on a PC agenda that has nothing to do with fixing anything tangible within the NA community. A community that has many schools using the name Redskins, I might add. This is very simply about Money, notoriety and government trying to overstep it's boundaries.

And what team is required to 'live' up to their team name?

It's not about money. It's a god awful name that needs to be changed. I think it's ridiculous that we're arguing something that's clearly offensive actually is offensive. What I want to know is why people give a crap. It's a fucking name. The same players and coaches are going to show up next season no matter what the team is called.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Which has nothing to do with the point of the quote, but carry on.

Your quote had nothing to do with the point of this thread! That was the point you purposely missed.

You essentially argued that Native Americans were mistreated in American history. Would you also like argue whether water is wet or not?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your quote had nothing to do with the point of this thread! That was the point you purposely missed.

You essentially argued that Native Americans were mistreated in American history. Would you also like argue whether water is wet or not?

What exactly are you talking about? These idiots have been talking about how it was some type of tribute to native americans for years. Now they're saying it has nothing to do with native americans at this point when they have an image of the native american on the damn logo. But I'm really not going to argue with you, because you obviously fly off the handle when you encounter anything that might remotely smell like a "liberal agenda". I'm a libertarian and I think the name is stupid and offensive and should change. It would be like an Israeli team having a derogatory term for a Palestinian as a name.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about money. It's a god awful name that needs to be changed. I think it's ridiculous that we're arguing something that's clearly offensive actually is offensive. What I want to know is why people give a crap. It's a fucking name. The same players and coaches are going to show up next season no matter what the team is called.

You may think it's a god awful name, but that doesn't make it so.

What's in a name? Quite a lot of MONEY and loyalty and tradition. But more than that, I choose NOT to be a fan of government agencies being the arbiters of acceptable words and images.

There is absolutely no clear consensus that the word is offensive. Just a lot of people claiming that as fact.

As a side note: Just because a current dictionary tells you a word can be used in a derogatory way DOES not mean that word is immediately offensive. Context and intent can't be conveniently ignored.

Now I'm just going to stop right here, because this is bringing nothing new to this thread. All these points have already been presented for deciding what you choose to feel about this issue.

Again, agree to respectfully disagree with your take.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth of the matter is that the logo and name does offend some native americans. But they are in the vast minority, even among native americans. I would go so far as to argue that the ones that are offended are most likely far more racist than your average Dan Snyder defender. While I have NEVER heard a single sole use the term "redskin" to demean a native american, I have heard plenty of native americans refer to anyone from eurpoean descent as "the white man" and is quickly followed by a rant about how "the white man" continues to steal from them. It is common to also hear them complain that "the white man talks with a forked tongue." That is racist. And those are the people that we are supposed to be politically correct for?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What exactly are you talking about? These idiots have been talking about how it was some type of tribute to native americans for years. Now they're saying it has nothing to do with native americans at this point when they have an image of the native american on the damn logo. But I'm really not going to argue with you, because you obviously fly off the handle when you encounter anything that might remotely smell like a "liberal agenda". I'm a libertarian and I think the name is stupid and offensive and should change. It would be like an Israeli team having a derogatory term for a Palestinian as a name.

"I'm not going to argue with you, and here's my argument." :what:

Whether the team name honours or disparages Native Americans has nothing to do with the historical atrocities to which you eluded. Claiming the name is derogatory is really the first time you've stuck to the point since I replied to your post.

Football teams decide on their names in order to promote the team's likeability and get people to follow them. That's why you don't see names like the Detroit Nazis or the Oakland Gang Bangers (although that name might just work in Oakland).

WHY THE HELL, IN 1932, WOULD THE TEAM CHOOSE A NAME THAT IS ESSENTIALLY A FORM OF DEBASING ITSELF!!!???!!! :gaah::doh::gaah:

The answer is they wouldn't, and the term "redskin" has never been a racial slur. Terms like "red people," "Red Skins," "The Great Spirit's red children" have been used by both Natives and Europeans since colonial times. And the fact that you're a libertarian promoting an exclusively-liberal position on this subject doesn't change the fact that only liberals (including you on this particular topic) want the Redskins to be FORCED to change the team name. Liberals; not Native Americans.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you have absolutely no valid proof to prove your opinion . An Indian made the freaking logo in the first place. There is no historic actual proof that the term red skins was used as a negative skinning/scalping term. Indians are in effect being told they are too stupid to know they were actually wronged. plenty of native americans are on redskins sites saying they like the name. 46 or so high schools on reservations use the damn name. the dumb woman who started this whole thing has used liberal college gobbeltygook to say Indians have been brainwashed into accepting the term as she elects herself as a dumb ass spokesperson . This is a pointless agenda by people who aren't even indians.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, the plight of the offended, why must they suffer so?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not here posting all kinds of political topics; I simply replied to one that already existed.

Exactly, this is strictly a liberal view of how the name is racist. It is a bunch of white liberals who are brainwashing native americans that it offends them. Telling them how the redskins name is near the N word which everyone knows would not fly and Redskins vs the N word is not even remotely close. If any word team name for a native american is racist then it would be the Cleveland Indians. While the term Indian was not originally a slur it became a slur throughout the 17th century yet that name is completely fine.

This is America, if the name is so offensive then in America, people can force changes by not watching them, stop buying their merchandise, get sponsors to pull out. Not doing this through a liberal based government forcing a change.