• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Washington

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing this defense for keeping the name "The word redskins is only ever used when referring to the Football team".

This is actually the best defense for why it should be changed. How many of you would ever use the word Redskins to describe the Native American people? Well why not? Because its a derogatory, mean-spirited word. None of you would walk up to a Native American, friend or stranger, and say "Hey what's up Redskin". Or describe someone you know, "yeah he's a redskin".

That is the only mascot name out there that people couldn't also use in other contexts. I can use the word Cheif, Raider, Buccaneer etc in other contexts all I want because there is nothing inherently derogatory about those words.

Well this post is so bullshit on so many levels.

1st off I have been called Chief many times in my life meant to be a derogatory term.
I have never been called a Redskin in a Derogatory sense.
Don't think people walk up to say hey whats up redskin, anymore than walking up & saying hey whats up Whiteskin, because you would just sound retarded. If you were talking about being apart of a Redskins nation, is one thing, but some one acting retarded is different than being racist.

But since I had to read this drivel, I guess I would also note, I wouldn't walk up to an NA & say hey whats up Brave! (because you would sound retarded)
Don't think the Atalnta Braves are trying to disrespect Native Americans.

The word isnt derogatory (in itself) or mean spirited.
You are ignorantly clueless to this conversation, but yes you can use any word & make it derogatory if you want you fucking "cupcake" (as an example)

Should we ban the name Cupcake now?

This whole movement is for those wanting to grandstand & say see what I did (15 mins of fame)

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some info on Ray Halbritter, head of Oneida Nation.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Political issues come up in professional sports all the time. They're not mutually exclusive.
When you degrade the conversation into GOP v Dems you are indeed no longer having a sports related conversation. It really is that simple.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You certainly have the right to try. You might want to start with something that truly offends who you are as a person.

I don't think that part is nearly as important as pulling their heartstrings. Look at the Redskins, most studies have shown both the general public and Indians are apathetic about the issue. It's my time to cash in while the government is weak.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:whistle:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
When you degrade the conversation into GOP v Dems you are indeed no longer having a sports related conversation. It really is that simple.

I didn't "degrade" anything; whether you like it or not this is absolutely a GOP VS Dems issue (or at least Lib' VS conservative issue). ONLY liberals (not all of them of course) think the Redskins should be forced to change their names (by legal manipulation like arbitrarily revoking their trademark rights). And I've never heard a single conservative agree. That's the definition of a lib' VS conservative issue.

And since it involves the Washington Redskins, it is also a sports-related conversation. Politics is annoying and tedious for a lot of people, so they try to avoid the subject. But the fact remains that this is a political issue. When Democrat politicians are speaking out against a sports team, and the government stripped them of their long-established trademark, we've crossed that threshold.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. Maybe the skins SHOULD move to VA. We already have our gorgeous new training facilities there... At least they have people in power trying to support them in the face of this government infringement.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't "degrade" anything; whether you like it or not this is absolutely a GOP VS Dems issue (or at least Lib' VS conservative issue). ONLY liberals (not all of them of course) think the Redskins should be forced to change their names (by legal manipulation like arbitrarily revoking their trademark rights). And I've never heard a single conservative agree. That's the definition of a lib' VS conservative issue.

And since it involves the Washington Redskins, it is also a sports-related conversation. Politics is annoying and tedious for a lot of people, so they try to avoid the subject. But the fact remains that this is a political issue. When Democrat politicians are speaking out against a sports team, and the government stripped them of their long-established trademark, we've crossed that threshold.

Really no need to broaden the topic. We've got a politics forum for those who love talking politics and spares the rest of us the annoyance. It's really that simple.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Really no need to broaden the topic. We've got a politics forum for those who love talking politics and spares the rest of us the annoyance. It's really that simple.

Well, I'm not here posting all kinds of political topics; I simply replied to one that already existed.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is nothing but political. It has nothing to do with the team at all....just the name.Move it if you care to but that is the reality.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all of you so up in arms about keeping the Redskins name in the NFL...how would it affect you if Washington's NFL team had to change their name? What hardships would it cause you to now have to call them the Washington Senators or Washington Buzzards or something?

There is a large group of people that are offended by the name due to their perceptions about it's racial connotations. I suppose we can debate how large the group is (a slippery slope when dealing with such issues)...but why not just change the name?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all of you so up in arms about keeping the Redskins name in the NFL...how would it affect you if Washington's NFL team had to change their name? What hardships would it cause you to now have to call them the Washington Senators or Washington Buzzards or something?

There is a large group of people that are offended by the name due to their perceptions about it's racial connotations. I suppose we can debate how large the group is (a slippery slope when dealing with such issues)...but why not just change the name?
For the start it would mean a new mascot, logo,name and branding change as well as new fight song. This would cost the team at great expense. In what I have bolded in your post...who really has been offended by the name and why is this just coming out now and not when the team first picked the name?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
These are all good questions, but try to understand why people are opposed to changing the name.

Something doesn't have to cause me a personal hardship for me to believe something is wrong. What's wrong is the US patent office arbitrarily (without a vote of congress) taking sides in a political debate and punishing the Redskins. That is egregious, and it offends me despite my livelihood not being effected. If someone in Tennessee were murdered in a drive-by shooting, that wouldn't affect you personally; but wouldn't you have some justified indignation?

There is a large group of people that are offended by the name

And there's a MUCH larger group who wants the name to stay how it is. So the people who are offended should stop watching the Redskins or football at all and stop buying their jerseys. What they don't have the right to do is usurp the power of a government entity in order to act putatively against a political opponent (and if you're following the very few outlets who are reporting it, this is happening with other gov't entities as well; and people are extremely pissed about it).

but why not just change the name?

Because it will cost the team millions upon millions of dollars to do so. It's easy to tell other people what to do with their money when you're not the one who had to work for it.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FACT: YOU do not, nor does Dan Snyder, get to DECIDE what is racist to a population. The American Indian, enmasse, has been beating this drum for decades.
apuflag.gif

I don't think American Indians really give a crap about the redskin name

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have decided that if Snyder IS forced to change the name, I am most comfortable with dropping the 'red'. And being named the 'skins'. Use the spear logo. That is IF, it has to change. I call the team skins more than I call them redskins already.