• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Washington

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any statistical reports to show which tribes are wanting the name change and what percentage of each tribe is asking for the change??- and where the people asking for the change live??

I just want to know if the people who want the change are asking for it for the right reasons, and I want to know if it is just an extremist sect or a popular consensus...

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is still being discussed? and now the patent office is involved? Man we're a nation of seriously fucked up priorities. Redskins= football team. People latch on to the strangest "causes"

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, can I get the patents of everything I find offended taken away? What should I start with?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, can I get the patents of everything I find offended taken away? What should I start with?

Crackers should be renamed. I find that name offensive beyond belief. When I see them at the grocery store all I feel is outrage and indignation.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You certainly have the right to try. You might want to start with something that truly offends who you are as a person.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crackers should be renamed. I find that name offensive beyond belief. When I see them at the grocery store all I feel is outrage and indignation.

graham crackers are the worse... They are not just offensive to whites... But all british people!!!

Then again screw them brits...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with renaming crackers, I usually refer to them as biscuits or saltines anyways.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article by Sally Jenkins of The Washington Post. She has been a strong proponent of changing the Redskins name.

While I do not agree with her on the name change and question a lot of her skins coverage,

I ABSOLUTELY agree with other points made in the article, especially the problems that result when you allow "Government agencies to become the arbiter of acceptable words and images."

The team and NFL should change the Redskins name, not the federal government - The Washington Post

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whats cracka-lacking cracker?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an excerpt from the article:

“At first blush, it might seem obvious that the USPTO should have the ability to deny registration to racist or vulgar trademarks,” wrote Gabe Rottman, a legislative counsel for the ACLU, last December in an essay considering the team’s trademark question. “But, as with all things free speech, who gets to decide what’s racist or vulgar? That’s right, the government, which is just ill-equipped to make these kinds of determinations.”

You don’t really want government agencies to become the arbiter of acceptable words and images. You really don’t. The main reason you don’t is because, like it or not, what’s offensive is subjective. It creates “a morass of uncertainty,” Rottman wrote. Consider how many offensive violations someone could find in one episode of “The Family Guy.” Or “Game of Thrones,” or “Orange Is The New Black.”

“Being offended is the natural consequence of leaving one’s home,” Fran Lebowitz wrote. She added, “I do not like after-shave lotion, adults who roller skate, children who speak French, or anyone who is unduly tan. I do not, however, go around enacting legislation and putting up signs.”

In his dissent from the trademark decision, USPTO panelist Marc Bergsman observed that “the context” in which a word is used “changes the perception of the term.” For some people the word “Redskins” has lost all of its vicious old meaning and represents their beloved Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer; for others it’s a hate term. Personally, I find it distasteful in all contexts. But how is a bureaucracy supposed to effectively arbitrate its “real” meaning without a lot of unintended consequences and restrictions?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone really offended by the term cracker? At what point in history were whites oppressed in the United States and how did the term "cracker" relate to that?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone really offended by the term cracker? At what point in history were whites oppressed in the United States and how did the term "cracker" relate to that?

Its all good whitebread

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original owner/coach of the football team who coined the nickname was a Native American. This is a non-issue except for some progressives who have hijacked the Patent Office and a 10% minority of Native Americans who had sided with them. 90% Native American polled revealed this is a non-issue.
No he wasn't.

George Marshall (owner) employed 4 players who were native american on the original 1933 Boston Redskins. Then moved the team to Washington in 1937.

The dude was a huge bigot and racist. This is from his wiki page.

His legacy includes the George Preston Marshall Foundation which serves the interests of children in the Washington, DC area. The $6 million he left had the qualification that none of it could be used "for any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration."

Marshall has gained infamy for his intractable opposition to having African-Americans on his roster. According to professor Charles Ross, "For 24 years Marshall was identified as the leading racist in the NFL".

Though the league had previously had a sprinkling of black players, blacks were excluded from all NFL teams in 1933. While the rest of the league began signing individual blacks in 1946 and actually drafting blacks in 1949, Marshall held out until 1962 before signing a black player. Along with his own personal views, Marshall refused to sign African-American players because of a desire to appeal to Southern markets, which lacked an NFL team until Dallas entered the league in 1960

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is unfortunately true that George Preston Marshall was a bigot and a racist. I do not believe, however, that he was motivated by bigotry when he named the team Redskins back in the day, it was a financially motivated decision.

Also the Native American coach, Lone Star Dietz' NA ancestory is questionable.

Initially, the new team took the same name as their landlords, the Boston Braves, one of the two local baseball teams at the time. The Braves played their first game on October 2, 1932.

The team moved to Fenway Park (home of the Boston Red Sox) the next year, and Marshall changed the name to the "Redskins" apparently in honor of then-coach Lone Star Dietz, a Native American (he claimed to be part Sioux, but his actual ancestry has been challenged). A 1933 news article quotes Marshall as saying that he did not name the team in honor of Dietz.