• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Open Series Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennis Channel offered first-ball-to-last coverage for Washington, expanding the time on air from six hours to 171 hours.

Did Tennis Channel really show 171 hours of coverage for the Citi Open?

How is that possible? 7 days = 168 hours. If they showed the Citi open for 24 hours, 7 straight days, that's still less than 171 hours.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many hours of coverage did ESPN give the Rogers Cup?

What about Cincinnati?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"For us, being part of the Emirates Airline U.S. Open Series gives us tremendous credibility," said Eddie Gonzalez, tournament director of the BB&T Atlanta Open. "We really want to be that mini U.S. Open, and obviously the series culminates in New York. We're getting much healthier financially, and as a 250, 250s around the world typically struggle. We're one sponsor away from being in the black or the red, though for two years in a row we've been extremely successful, and that's due to not only being a part of the Series, but having a great title sponsor in BB&T and a great site sponsor with Atlantic Station."

What's the difference between a title sponsor and site sponsor?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington D.C.'s Citi Open out of US Open series due to TV deal - Tennis - SI.com

Hope that Tennis Channel ends up getting all rights to US Open Series stuff when ESPN's contract is up.

The USTA, which owns the rights to the WTA side of next week's Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati, the biggest event of the Series, stunned Tennis Channel during Washington by saying that the network would not have rights to women's matches the event, leaving them only able to broadcast the men's matches it has through a separate deal with the ATP.

Finished reading the article.

Does this mean that there will be on WTA matches on TV at all during the next week? Or none on Tennis Channel, and ESPN will have some?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nole hopefully only has some mild tendonitis. Would suck to have to go into the Open injured. Murray won the battle finally, but probably will not win the war.

Also, I thought Halep was going to die. Surprised she even tried to keep going. Bencic is a future star if she can improve her serve. Unfortunately, most women dont.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished reading the article.

Does this mean that there will be on WTA matches on TV at all during the next week? Or none on Tennis Channel, and ESPN will have some?
pretty sure there will be no wta matches televised until Thur, yeah

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love that Tennis Channel commentators are making a special point to bring up that ESPN fucked everybody out of getting to watch most of one of the biggest WTA tournaments of the year.

Hope to see more tournaments do what DC did, and leave the US Open Series completely and move to Tennis Channel coverage. Probably won't happen, but I can hope.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have espn3 you can see WTA matches until wednesday when espn coverage begins.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love that Tennis Channel commentators are making a special point to bring up that ESPN fucked everybody out of getting to watch most of one of the biggest WTA tournaments of the year.

Hope to see more tournaments do what DC did, and leave the US Open Series completely and move to Tennis Channel coverage. Probably won't happen, but I can hope.

It's really not a big deal IMO. If you have espn3 you can watch every WTA match and on top of that it's not like you're missing any big part of the tournament if you don't have espn3. You're missing the first and 2nd round if you don't have espn3 (which you should)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you made it clear that you don't care bksballer. I'll go ahead and put this next part in spoiler tags so you don't have to bother reading or responding to it. Almost time for football, so that means it's time to put your stupid ass back on ignore. lol.

ESPN3 is wonderful as a supplement, but the problem goes a little deeper than that for actual tennis fans.

Every year, these Masters 1000 tournaments are getting less and less coverage from ESPN, and it's not that hard to understand that the trend will probably continue for the next decade of their contract.

We were going to get a total of 4 hours of TV coverage for the Citi Open (which is the only 500 tournament in the US during the summer hard court swing), but they pulled out of the US Open Series and TTC showed the whole tournament from the first minute of match play to the last...so 80+ hours.

Here's to hoping that more tournaments do the same.

Last edited:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, was nice to see Fish play lights out against Troicki today.

I'm not sure if anybody read about it, but he suffers from debilitating anxiety. He was pretty brave to come out and talk about it openly in this WSJ article that was published yesterday.

Mardy Fish’s Match With Anxiety - WSJ

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you made it clear that you don't care bksballer. I'll go ahead and put this next part in spoiler tags so you don't have to bother reading or responding to it. Almost time for football, so that means it's time to put your stupid ass back on ignore. lol.

ESPN3 is wonderful as a supplement, but the problem goes a little deeper than that for actual tennis fans.

I'm hurt

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
players are back on court, or at least they were 10 minutes ago according to the tournament, so the next live match should start soon

:)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kokkanakis is playing fognini right now

kokk is probably going to make some slam finals, but not sure he's ready to do all that great off grass yet.

hope to see some intensity out there from these 2, and i'd say the odds are highly favorable for that.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the coric/zverev match is a taste of what's to come at majors when they're both in their early 20s, i'm betting. great stuff.

not surprised big john went down. that's a lot of matches in the past 3 weeks for the guy.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the coric/zverev match is a taste of what's to come at majors when they're both in their early 20s, i'm betting. great stuff.

not surprised big john went down. that's a lot of matches in the past 3 weeks for the guy.

As I said last week the amount of leading up to the open is the reason I believe he always struggle to get to the 2nd week there imo

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which broadcasters talked about it?

Did they mention ESPN by name?

So the deal that the Cincinnati Open signed with ESPN last November, purposely didn't include the first few days of the WTA? Or did ESPN recently decide not to show those early rounds?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every year, these Masters 1000 tournaments are getting less and less coverage from ESPN, and it's not that hard to understand that the trend will probably continue for the next decade of their contract.

We were going to get a total of 4 hours of TV coverage for the Citi Open (which is the only 500 tournament in the US during the summer hard court swing), but they pulled out of the US Open Series and TTC showed the whole tournament from the first minute of match play to the last...so 80+ hours.

Here's to hoping that more tournaments do the same.

Do you two chat on the same football forum too? If so, which one?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington D.C.'s Citi Open out of US Open series due to TV deal - Tennis - SI.com

Tennis Channel offered first-ball-to-last coverage for Washington, expanding the time on air from six hours to 171 hours.
Did Tennis Channel really show 171 hours of coverage for the Citi Open?

How is that possible? 7 days = 168 hours. If they showed the Citi open for 24 hours, 7 straight days, that's still less than 171 hours.
So was this just a typo in the SI.com article?