• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

Ray

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets hope for the best guys, honestly, sherman can go if we bring ina better recruiter whose proven to coach up WR"s

hokieone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets hope for the best guys, honestly, sherman can go if we bring ina better recruiter whose proven to coach up WR"s

My guess is if we get someone like Hamilton, he is going to want to bring his guys with him, necessitating the removal of VT's entire offensive staff. I agree Sherman has done a good job, but if the new guy wants his boys, then that is what has to happen.

I would not be a bit surprised to see Shane reassigned, too. Let's face it. The RB's were not that impressive and did not progress at all this year.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"The Football Outsiders’ S&P rankings, which grade success on a play-by-play basis and take into account down and distance and field position while eliminating garbage-time stats and accounting for strength of schedule, has Stanford as the 49th most efficient offense this year and Virginia Tech 88th. Last year, with Luck, the Cardinal were 8th nationally."

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2012 NCAA S&P+ RATINGS, OFFENSE

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any chance that Pep might look to the Syracuse head coaching gig instead of another OC job?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is Pep a Hokie yet?!? :D

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that isn't that enthused by the idea of Pep Hamilton? Hasn't he only been the OC there for two years? And their offense didn't rank that highly. With our OL issues, how will a guy with the philosophy of a power run game help anytime in the immediate future?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that isn't that enthused by the idea of Pep Hamilton? Hasn't he only been the OC there for two years? And their offense didn't rank that highly. With our OL issues, how will a guy with the philosophy of a power run game help anytime in the immediate future?

I think a new OL couch will have a big impact. The numbers weren't great because they are a ball control offense, but effective and efficient. We have big guys on the OL, they just need to be couched into being tough.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think a new OL couch will have a big impact. The numbers weren't great because they are a ball control offense, but effective and efficient. We have big guys on the OL, they just need to be couched into being tough.

that and be in a system that isnt so technique driven.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

It's enough that Stinespring would no longer be the OC for me. The bonus is that the recruiting will get a boost definitely as long as Stinespring stays and probably even if he leaves. I don't know what coaches are available right now that would be realistic choices and also have better resumes but Hamilton looks pretty good. Hamilton has been all over the NFL and that will help in recruiting. 4 and 5 stars are thinking about the NFL and the best chance to get them there. They hardly ever say it but I guarantee you it is close to if not priority #1. Hamilton has probably been the guy taking the Stanford players out of Virginia recently. If we get him more of them stay plus he will do well in whatever recruiting area he is assigned. I think I saw a resume comparison between Stinespring before he was given the OC job and Hamilton's current one posted on TSL. The difference was laughable. There has got to be more offered by a program than what VT has on the offensive side. For instance why would you want to play for Newsome? What has he ever done? I'm not inside the heads of HS players but position coaches have to be huge factor

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

They had a really good offense last year. This year's offense got better once they went with Kevin Hogan at QB.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Forgot to add that you can throw stats out when you're talking about the PAC, BIG 10, or SEC. ACC, Big East, and BIG12 are a notch or two below those 3 with defenses. Also Stanford had Notre Dame on their schedule this year and this was the transition year from Luck

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Feldman is a moron if he calls it a lateral move. You have to look past the last 3-4 years of a program and also look in the stands.

Yeah somebody is not looking at the big picture. I'm no football historian but I've never paid attention to Stanford before the last 2-3 years. When have they ever been good and how long did it last?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the reasons the fanbase would be excited is Pep runs a power I type of offense that VT ran in it's hay day and was most successful with. In addition, it is the type of offense that seems most portable from season to season with the most success if run well. Get road graders and punch guys in the mouth...open up the play action and win a lot more, with a VT roster, IMO.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only reason I don't want a spread offense is that it almost always pussifies your defense. I don't know of any spread offense that has a good defense. Now the question is can we get back to recruiting the type of O-line that can maul people. I think the problem is also with the coaching because there's no way the talent we've been getting is as bad as what you see on the field