• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Undrafted Free Agents

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sign Collins in a heartbeat as a flyer. If it doesn't pan out, it won't cost anything. give him $50k as a bonus and be prepared to walk away from it - you paid Millen a hell of a lot more than that with no chance of a return.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I completely agree with the post. You have said it yourself. Why in the hell would a FA of his caliber come to Detroit when he will get same money from Seattle or any other power house?
That is the one benefit a UDFA has... His right or choice to play where he wants to a extent.

Yes, as I said yesterday. He only needs to stay healthy 3 seasons for a big pay day. Which in turn, if cleared of any wrong doing will work out better for him had some team taken him in the second round or beyond

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's 1 of my 2. Falcons grabbed Kevin White.

Many draft sites are showing him as first to sign. Falcons must of been of the phone with him when Mr. Irrelevant was being announced.

I loved this kid when I mentioned him during Reese's bowl week. He shut down The other White and Dorsett daily. I had him going to us in the 4th before the Ngata trade. Another player rated way higher by critics than apparently he should of been. After reading and watching his film I was a sheep.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I completely agree with the post. You have said it yourself. Why in the hell would a FA of his caliber come to Detroit when he will get same money from Seattle or any other power house?
That is the one benefit a UDFA has... His right or choice to play where he wants to a extent.

Yes, as I said yesterday. He only needs to stay healthy 3 seasons for a big pay day. Which in turn, if cleared of any wrong doing will work out better for him had some team taken him in the second round or beyond
We are a 2014 playoff team, you could essentially guarantee him that he will start at RT, and when he is due for unrestricted free agency we should be well off cap wise.

It's not as if we have nothing at all to offer and at this point it's a matter of salesmanship since I'm sure many other teams are thinking the same thing. But I will bet many other teams still have him off their boards completely. This is the time to try and strike because once he is cleared all 32 teams are going to be calling.

I said for Mayhew to once impress me, here is his chance. I don't think there is any image risk if you simply don't have him even so much as put in a Lions hat or jersey before he is completely cleared, let alone come to the facility.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are a 2014 playoff team, you could essentially guarantee him that he will start at RT, and when he is due for unrestricted free agency we should be well off cap wise.

It's not as if we have nothing at all to offer and at this point it's a matter of salesmanship since I'm sure many other teams are thinking the same thing. But I will bet many other teams still have him off their boards completely. This is the time to try and strike because once he is cleared all 32 teams are going to be calling.

I said for Mayhew to once impress me, here is his chance. I don't think there is any image risk if you simply don't have him even so much as put in a Lions hat or jersey before he is completely cleared, let alone come to the facility.
The thing is though, he has specifically said he doesn't want to sign with any team. My guess is he's wanting to fight for a spot in the '16 draft. Maybe the Lions have reached out to his agent? You can't blame Mayhew if Collins isn't signing with ANY team. Wait I take that back.....

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many draft sites are showing him as first to sign. Falcons must of been of the phone with him when Mr. Irrelevant was being announced.

I loved this kid when I mentioned him during Reese's bowl week. He shut down The other White and Dorsett daily. I had him going to us in the 4th before the Ngata trade. Another player rated way higher by critics than apparently he should of been. After reading and watching his film I was a sheep.

I thought we could get him late, especially when we got that extra 5th. He will have an uphill battle with his size/speed, but is worth a shot late or as UDFA. I would rather take the chance on a guy who has proven he can play above his physical talent against the best then some D3 guy who has great measurables but never played against top talent.

When Carter got picked, White was a UDFA only at that point. Too many needs to fill.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is though, he has specifically said he doesn't want to sign with any team. My guess is he's wanting to fight for a spot in the '16 draft. Maybe the Lions have reached out to his agent? You can't blame Mayhew if Collins isn't signing with ANY team. Wait I take that back.....
NFL has already ruled no on him for 2016. He has no case whatsoever for that decision to be overturned if he tries to take it to court.

Maybe Mayhew has reached out to his agent, don't know about that. Not sure if anyone bothers to read posts anymore on here cause I am absolutely certain that what I said was for Millenhew to impress me for once by finding a way to sign him (yup, going right back to that name if I'm gonna battle on statements when I expressly have said its my opinion).

I want the Lions to sign Collins, don't care how they make that happen. He is going to sign somewhere, and I am pretty sure there is still an NFL team in Detroit so they have as good a chance as anyone. Will I blame Millenhew if we don't get him because he chooses to play near his home or for his childhood favorite team? No, not much you can do there and no amount of salesmanship probably overcomes that.

Will I blame Millenhew if it comes out that they didn't try now and instead either completely kept him off their board or waited until he is cleared? You bet I will. I view that as being a shitty GM. His job is to build a winning football team. It's pretty much a no risk huge upside opportunity. He has taken numerous risks on poor character guys, injured players, trading up even to get some of those guys. This would be a better risk to take than any one of those past moves.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Carter got picked, White was a UDFA only at that point. Too many needs to fill.

here I thought BPA lasted throughout every pick for LIONS or so I've read when local media interviewed Mayhew in previous drafts. needs vs BPA, IDK.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought they were a crappy one and done team. Nothing to be happy about. Now it is a sales pitch? Impress you? He drafted OL before RB. He moved back in first round, he did not draft a TE or a WR all things you said you wanted to happen. So he did what you wanted and still his philosophies suck.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that 4.75 40 time, coupled with his small stature really hurt his prospects... he's a guy who looks faster on tape...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they were a crappy one and done team. Nothing to be happy about. Now it is a sales pitch? Impress you? He drafted OL before RB. He moved back in first round, he did not draft a TE or a WR all things you said you wanted to happen. So he did what you wanted and still his philosophies suck.

I can honestly say that Im impressed that they didnt take a WR at any time.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's apparently reversed course on that because the NFL has already denied him entry into next years' draft. Basically he realizes that he got screwed (assuming that he's innocent) and has only one option if he wants to play. That's why I'm still shocked that no team grabbed him with a 7th rounder. I realize there's a potential image problem there, but if I were the GM I'd call a presser and just say "Look, there's zero evidence connecting this kid to the case, the police simply want to talk to him because he recently dated the victim. If that changes and he becomes a suspect, we will cut ties with him immediately. Thank you."

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly say that Im impressed that they didnt take a WR at any time.

So am I, so am I. I never had any feeling of a TE. Just saw snide remarks from many leading up to the draft. Hell, I made one about Maxx in the second at one point.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am shocked no team spent a 7th on Collins. The fact he hasn't been charged or tied to the murder would seem lie he should have been draft worthy. Even if he was later arrested the GM that drafted could put language in his contract to release him and make the contract very bonus heavy.

I have to believe the information out there must be pretty damning if no team drafted him. Hell even the Cowboys signed Hardy. Winning trumps bad pr.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So am I, so am I. I never had any feeling of a TE. Just saw snide remarks from many leading up to the draft. Hell, I made one about Maxx in the second at one point.

Now, Im sure next year may be different.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, Im sure next year may be different.

Well if they don't keep Fauria around I can see another TE in mid rounds. I surely see a WR next year also, unless FA solves those issues. Will worry about this in Feb. 2016

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burton the FB from Rutgers is essentially an H-Back that will line up as a second blocking TE if he has a role on the team. So in a sense the Lions did get a sorta TE out of the draft. Just trying to spread a little joy:D

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a TE will be (or at least, may be) in play next year because unless he steps up his production a fair amount, there's no way Pettigrew will be back in 2016 at his projected salary. If I remember correctly, his contract is set up as such that he can be cut or traded next offseason with very little dead money coming our way for it.

Now, he may be able to get back to his pass-catching ways of old as a combo blocker/safety valve if our o-line does its damn job and he doesn't have to be a 3rd OT every play. If he earns the contract he'll stick around and we'll have little need at the position, but I think its pretty fluid at this point still.

I'm also fine with carrying four TEs at the expense of a WR roster spot (most all teams carry at least 5 WR, many carry 6), because I think the modern "joker" or "move" TEs are basically akin to a possession WR anyhow, so it's 6 of one, baker's dozen of the other on that one. We have a couple of receiving threat TEs already, but I'd be fine with adding another in-line type TE, provided he was a core special teamer, at the expense of a 5th WR with the way our offense is set-up right now.