• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Undrafted Free Agents

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not research that so if someone has and I am wrong please let us know

Basically from the second round on it reads to be locked in with no wiggle room.

What I don't know is do they consider the UDFA in the rookie pool you declare you will spend in the cap? Well at least the amount that it states you can spend on the rookies over the four year period. I am looking for that article I read. It talked about how there is a cap amount you spend on the total value of rookies signed contracts.
So I am guessing if the amount was 30 million for your rookies over that four year period it may decide what you can afford on Collins. That's if he is considered in your draft class or any other FA.
There was something else about the signing bonus for rookies. Where it is 80-120% of a set number.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon Johnson - WR - Lions
Lions signed Texas A&M Commerce WR Vernon Johnson.

Johnson (6'0/196) dominated in two seasons at the D-2 level, converting 147 catches into 2,608 yards (17.7 YPR) with 25 touchdowns. He averaged a whopping 113 receiving yards and 1.1 TDs per game at TAMU-Commerce. Johnson also showed big-league athleticism at his Pro Day, running 4.56 with a 37-inch vertical and 10-foot-7 broad jump. Johnson's initial ticket to a roster spot may come on special teams, where he averaged 27.6 yards as a college kickoff returner.
My room mate on the road played there. He is the first Cowboy fan I have heard say Romo sucks at times.
He is a big mofo. As we have talked a lot of football. He tells me he was the smallest guy on his H.S. OL. Got to love Texas football. All of went D2 or D1.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions have signed: Zach Zenner, RB, South Dakota St. WooHoo!!!!!!

Love this pickup. Even though they drafted a FB, he was listed as a FB/RB so maybe he can play FB and yet carry the ball where it is not obvious to the defense our intentions.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is an unrestricted free agent. He is not only free to sign anywhere he wants but teams should be able to offer him any amount unless the CBA says something different. Make him the offer of a mid-2nd rd pick with a $1m signing bonus. Don't allow him in the building until his legal issues are handled to completion. Only cap space is at risk if you only guarantee a small amount

Collins is not signing, he will reenter the draft next year.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL told him he can't

After failing to get his name removed from the draft altogether Thursday, Collins' representatives said Friday he would re-enter the draft in 2016 if he was not selected in either the second or third round. However, an NFL spokesman said Collins cannot enter next year's draft and that if he is not picked this year, he will become a free agent.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will be dependent on his exact classification via the terms of the CBA. There may very well be wiggle room in what you can offer him in terms of contract value.

I suggested the mid-second round level because after sitting out without playing for a full year his value will be less than what it was this year before this issue.

If you can indeed offer something other than a pre-determined amount as specified in the CBA then he would be much better off accepting an offer like that now than waiting til next year IMO

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions have signed: Nate Lindsey, SS, Fort Hood State

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions have signed: Al Bond, OG, Memphis

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions have signed Isaiah Johnson, S, Georgia Tech

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions land sleeper Zach Zenner on UDFA deal
10429.jpg

Lions signed South Dakota State RB Zach Zenner.

Zenner (6'0/223) was a dominant three-year starter for the Jackrabbits, becoming the first player in FCS history to post three straight 2,000-yard rushing seasons. He averaged 5.99 YPC as a senior and caught 28 passes. Behind only Ameer Abdullah, Zenner posted the second highest SPARQ score in this year's running back class, clocking 4.6-flat in Indy with a 41-inch vertical and 10-foot-1 broad jump. An intelligent (35 Wonderlic) one-cut back with workhorse potential, Zenner was quietly one of the best inside runners we viewed on pre-draft tape, demonstrating impressive balance and powerful tackle-breaking skills. The additions of Ameer Abdullah and Zenner may bode poorly for Joique Bell's future in Detroit.
Source: San Diego State on Twitter
May 2 - 7:35 PM

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Bridge to the Detroit Lions is now in dispute. No resolution expected soon.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rasheed Williams signs with Lions

Lions signed Alfred State RB Rasheed Williams.

Williams (6'1/215) dominated Division-3 football, setting Alfred State career records in rushing TDs (26), rushing yards (2,693), and all-purpose yards (2,843) despite spending just two years at the school. He reportedly clocked a 4.46 forty during a pre-draft private workout, and offers plus pass-game ability. Williams is a small-school long shot, but boasts a production-size-speed combination that makes him intriguing as a super-deep sleeper.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will be dependent on his exact classification via the terms of the CBA. There may very well be wiggle room in what you can offer him in terms of contract value.

I suggested the mid-second round level because after sitting out without playing for a full year his value will be less than what it was this year before this issue.

If you can indeed offer something other than a pre-determined amount as specified in the CBA then he would be much better off accepting an offer like that now than waiting til next year IMO

There was an article I read that laid out all of this stuff yesterday. I'll see if I can dig it up, but I do remember a couple points.
1. If he was drafted and never signed a contract he could re enter the draft. Ala John Elway, Eli Manning, and others have done or threatened to do.
2. If he wasn't drafted by any team he immediately became a FA, and much like a player coming from Canadian or Arena football or something, he could not re-enter the draft. He is just a FA until he signs a contract. Period.
3. There are VERY specific rules on how much you can pay an UDFA, this is to prevent players from circumventing the new rookie pay scale by saying they wouldn't sign with whoever drafted them for less than a certain $ amount. I believe UDFA's have a max of like $90,000 signing bonuses and all rookies drafted and undrafted entire salaries have to fit inside the pool each team is given to sign all of their draft picks.
4. I think UDFA's however are allowed to renegotiate their contracts after 2 years instead of 4 years for draft picks. And I believe they can become an unrestricted FA sooner than draft picks too.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rasheed Williams signs with Lions

Lions signed Alfred State RB Rasheed Williams.

Williams (6'1/215) dominated Division-3 football, setting Alfred State career records in rushing TDs (26), rushing yards (2,693), and all-purpose yards (2,843) despite spending just two years at the school. He reportedly clocked a 4.46 forty during a pre-draft private workout, and offers plus pass-game ability. Williams is a small-school long shot, but boasts a production-size-speed combination that makes him intriguing as a super-deep sleeper.
I don't watch anything from this kid leading to the draft. But if he's legitimately a 4.46 guy I'm anxious to see him in the preseason.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zenner really is a total package kind of RB he doesn't have that elite, home run speed, but he's definitely not slow, he's got good size, and he blocks and catches. I think he's got a great shot at landing a roster spot as the #3 or #4 RB for us this year.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zenner really is a total package kind of RB he doesn't have that elite, home run speed, but he's definitely not slow, he's got good size, and he blocks and catches. I think he's got a great shot at landing a roster spot as the #3 or #4 RB for us this year.

That's 1 of my 2. Falcons grabbed Kevin White.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are a cap fan the Collins situation is fascinating.

It looks like the best you could start with is a $90k signing bonus. But that would actually be the entirety of the team allotment. It sounds as if even a $20k bonus would be a very large amount in the UDFA world.

It's not all lost for Collins though. An UDFA contract is only for three years, at which point the player would be a RFA. If he was the given a first round tender he would actually make more than the top 52 picks in the draft and be a UFA one year sooner than other first round picks who have that 5th year option.

The downside is that he has no guaranteed $ and a paltry signing bonus. I know he is saying that he won't sign until after he has cleared his name but if I were the Lions I would be on the phone with his agent right now, stop signing other players, and offer everything we have left in our signing bonus pool for him to sign with us right now.

Would I risk signing some other UDFA's to devote the largest signing bonus perhaps ever given to an undrafted player in league history to obtain his rights? Damn right I would and the Lions would be smart to do so. You are getting camp bodies with these guys and maybe special teams players vs another first round pick.

Do something for once that impresses me Mayhew on taking a good risk for once you fucking idiot!