• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Uh oh Ebron

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More signs of this staff not being on the same page.

Jim Caldwell: Detroit Lions can build a foundation on TE Brandon Pettigrew | MLive.com

OC Lombardi says Ebron will be involved more BUT then the HC says the Lions absolutely will not pass anymore than they did last year. Now he endorses Pettigrew and NOT Ebron as a "Foundation player." And this comes a year after the OC buried Pettigrew w a mere 15 targets.

How many teams build a foundation around their back up TE?

We all saw Mayhew draft guys Schwartz didn't like/want/use....did Mayhew take a top 10 pick his HC has no interest in?

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're just trolling another teams board, but this is a reach.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're just trolling another teams board, but this is a reach.

Legit thread. OC saying one thing, HC saying another thing, GM drafting pass catchers in a conservative run first O.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be trolling? Don't care, it is a legit question. I still question why he drafted Slay who was a man cover corner to play in a zone scheme. There is no fricking way he had knew what coach he was getting a year later. There was a dramatic difference in Slay last year. Was it all because it was year two or he finally was playing in scheme his smile were better suited for?

Either way Rob brings up a valid question. Unless you just see it as three articles saying three different things and the writers are all wrong?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More signs of this staff not being on the same page.

Jim Caldwell: Detroit Lions can build a foundation on TE Brandon Pettigrew | MLive.com

OC Lombardi says Ebron will be involved more BUT then the HC says the Lions absolutely will not pass anymore than they did last year. Now he endorses Pettigrew and NOT Ebron as a "Foundation player." And this comes a year after the OC buried Pettigrew w a mere 15 targets.

How many teams build a foundation around their back up TE?

We all saw Mayhew draft guys Schwartz didn't like/want/use....did Mayhew take a top 10 pick his HC has no interest in?

Did we not cover all this in another thread? I've also had a conversation lately about people having trouble with dual realities. It doesn't have to be A or B. It can be A and B. The Lions can not pass any more than last year AND Ebron can have more passes thrown his way. Also, the question was ABOUT PETTIGREW. Just because he didn't call Ebron a foundational player doesn't mean he doesn't see him as one. Even more so, the kid is going into year 2. Maybe he isn't a foundational player YET. Most of all, Pettigrew is a backup TE based on what? He's the main blocking TE, basically the main 6th lineman. He will also run pass patterns even if he doesn't get the targets he used to. Until it changes, he's still has a larger role than Ebron.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be trolling? Don't care, it is a legit question. I still question why he drafted Slay who was a man cover corner to play in a zone scheme. There is no fricking way he had knew what coach he was getting a year later. There was a dramatic difference in Slay last year. Was it all because it was year two or he finally was playing in scheme his smile were better suited for?

Either way Rob brings up a valid question. Unless you just see it as three articles saying three different things and the writers are all wrong?

Drafting is a projection. A guy may play man in college but a GM looks at his measurables and thinks he can play zone. IMO zone is easier for a corner and a guy with good speed and instincts should be able to do it. The dramatic difference could have been the new scheme, could have been the new staff, could have been the work he put in/the knowledge that he seeked out in the offseason. I mean we're talking about a rookie who's head seemed to be spinning for most of his first year. It could just be that he got better as a player and would have performed well no matter the scheme.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the systematic conflicts between Mayhew and whoever is coaching is problematic.

If you believe what locals writers say then Caldwell blew Ford Jr out of the water with his interview. It is entirely possible that Junior had more to say about who coached the Lions. After Whiz took the Titans job....much to the disbelief of Mayhew in my belief, Junior very well stepped in and said hire Caldwell. Mayhew was probably good with it as he saw the Colts explosive offense as a by product of hiring Caldwell. Thats just connecting the dots from old reports.

At the time of the hire I thought Caldwell was not the type of guy that fit the Lions scheme, and that is Mayhew's drafting and player acquisition. Not to say Caldwell didn't do a good job, he did. But......

Caldwell is running the Ravens offense and Mayhrew would rather run the Colts offense Caldwell had a part of. So I can very easily see where the two have a difference in philosophy.

It's just a matter of what Caldwell approach Mayhew believed he was getting.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the systematic conflicts between Mayhew and whoever is coaching is problematic.

If you believe what locals writers say then Caldwell blew Ford Jr out of the water with his interview. It is entirely possible that Junior had more to say about who coached the Lions. After Whiz took the Titans job....much to the disbelief of Mayhew in my belief, Junior very well stepped in and said hire Caldwell. Mayhew was probably good with it as he saw the Colts explosive offense as a by product of hiring Caldwell. Thats just connecting the dots from old reports.

At the time of the hire I thought Caldwell was not the type of guy that fit the Lions scheme, and that is Mayhew's drafting and player acquisition. Not to say Caldwell didn't do a good job, he did. But......

Caldwell is running the Ravens offense and Mayhrew would rather run the Colts offense Caldwell had a part of. So I can very easily see where the two have a difference in philosophy.

Caldwell blew him away with what? Pound the rock speech that Moronelli fed Ford Sr. with for a few years?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have you all on ignore, so I can't really tell if anyone has mentioned that Brandon Pettigrew's Lions jersey numbers total 171.

Ebron,.... well..... his total isn't half that.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess...I don't understand all the confusion.

While these coaches and Mayhew express some of these things to the media, fans are taking everything being said out of context if you ask me. No offense but I find it completely illogical and unreasonable to think Mayhew, Caldwell and Lombardi are not on the same page. What exactly are these guys supposed to say to the media?

I think its pretty evident that the team is built to pass but a strong emphasis has been placed on implementing a strong run game. Nothing has changed there. Caldwell is not the first coach to try and run the ball effectively here. I dont necessarily see a conservative approach here nor a Baltimore offense. I do see a group of guys trying to put together a system that is identical to N.O, yet made for the players they have.

Improving the run game is nothing different from what all the other "passing" teams are doing. That includes the Saints, GB, Indy, Denver, N.E, etc, etc. Gotta be able to run the ball.

Although I wasn't really happy about not getting the ball to Pettigrew last year, I do recall Caldwell stating that everyone will have to find their role in the offense and Lombardi would have to figure out how to use certain guys.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I remember is Caldwell being the only candidate that spent a long amount of time at the facility, talking to ownership, talking with Stafford. It was clear that he was at minimum the backup plan. I assume, i think that we all assume, had Whiz gotten on that plane he would be our coach today but there is still a chance that after that extended interview they would have hired Caldwell anyway. The GM can't have a scheme. The GM's scheme has to be what fits the coaches philosophy. It's simply not going to work any other way. Also, as soon as Caldwell was hired, we started hearing about Lombardi. I can't imagine that he had not mentioned Lombardi and a Saints like scheme before he was hired.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I remember is Caldwell being the only candidate that spent a long amount of time at the facility, talking to ownership, talking with Stafford. The GM can't have a scheme. The GM's scheme has to be what fits the coaches philosophy. It's simply not going to work any other way. .

Just read an article yesterday how Caldwell found out on twitter that the Lions traded for Ngata. I find that funny as well. You would think the Head Coach and DC would be consulted.

nobody outside of Allen Park really knows but to me the perception is the GM has a different idea of what should be going on than the HC.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Bro! This is just Fox Newsesque. Most of the time that this article covers, Millen was in charge.

See what I mean about Mayhew fans being far lefties?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read an article yesterday how Caldwell found out on twitter that the Lions traded for Ngata. I find that funny as well. You would think the Head Coach and DC would be consulted.

nobody outside of Allen Park really knows but to me the perception is the GM has a different idea of what should be going on than the HC.

You actually believe that Mayhew went after a guy who worked with both our Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator without talking to them about the player first? I know that you have more sense than that jd. From what I read in a couple of places was the deal got done and Lewand started walking the building to give staff the news. Twitter got to Caldwell before Lewand did. But to think Caldwell had no idea they were talking to Baltimore, come on man, you can't believe that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mayhew is obviously a poor communicator. He's gonna get the guys he wants regardless of scheme. That's why he took a TE who can't block in the top 10 even though his new HC really has no use for him.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See what I mean about Mayhew fans being far lefties?

That's basically an admission that you stetched the truth to the point of it snapping.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew is obviously a poor communicator. He's gonna get the guys he wants regardless of scheme. That's why he took a TE who can't block in the top 10 even though his new HC really has no use for him.

Sooooo the Saints had no use for Graham? I mean that's what our O is supposed to be like. That's who Ebron was supposed to be like.