• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UDFA

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you have him convicted even though he's not charged with a crime? Got it.
I didn't convict anyone, I just expressed an opinion.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call. I would have used a 7th rounder on him. Worth the gamble to me...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call. I would have used a 7th rounder on him. Worth the gamble to me...

I think if this was the case he could sit out and reenter the draft next year. By not being picked he cannot apply for the draft in 16 thus the reason he has said he'll sign as a UDFA after thecauthorities clear him. If he's innocent he got screwed by a bad situation.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if this was the case he could sit out and reenter the draft next year. By not being picked he cannot apply for the draft in 16 thus the reason he has said he'll sign as a UDFA after thecauthorities clear him. If he's innocent he got screwed by a bad situation.

I know he said he would re-enter the draft, that is part of why I'd use a 7th and said it was worth the risk. 80% chance or more he won't sign, but 50/50 a 7th rounder even makes the team any way and we are talking about a first round talent. Role of the dice and could come up big

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he said he would re-enter the draft, that is part of why I'd use a 7th and said it was worth the risk. 80% chance or more he won't sign, but 50/50 a 7th rounder even makes the team any way and we are talking about a first round talent. Role of the dice and could come up big

I thought a team would use a 7th on him. I guess his threat of sitting out had weight behind it.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if Jerry didn't throw out a big signing bonus offer. The Bengals gave Vontaze Burfect like $50K, I'd say that was money well spent. If he had no suspension and went through camp he'd have a great chance to start this year. Yep, I know we have an awesome line. This kid would challenge Leary and Free day 1. Athletic, 6'5", 325 lb tank

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if Jerry didn't throw out a big signing bonus offer. The Bengals gave Vontaze Burfect like $50K, I'd say that was money well spent. If he had no suspension and went through camp he'd have a great chance to start this year. Yep, I know we have an awesome line. This kid would challenge Leary and Free day 1. Athletic, 6'5", 325 lb tank
There are limits on what any team can offer him per the CBA. Basically it comes down to where he feels the best situation for him is. There is a on going thread on the general board about him. Check it out.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are limits on what any team can offer him per the CBA. Basically it comes down to where he feels the best situation for him is. There is a on going thread on the general board about him. Check it out.
You are right in that there are limits, but what the Bengals did was guarantee more money than anyone else, make the team or not. But no, you couldn't offer him like $2 million or something. That kid lost a lot of money the last two weeks. He was projected top half of the draft, so around $20 million. Yikes

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL has already said that if he was not drafted that he could not re-enter the draft next year. his best bet now is to clear his name and then sign with a team as a UDFA. he is 1st round talent so IMO he would make any team's roster

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys don't need another head case.

how is he a headcase? he had a relationship that ended. the cops have already said he is not a suspect in the actual murder just someone that knew her and might be able to aid in their investigation. if i read the stories correctly of course.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is he a headcase? he had a relationship that ended. the cops have already said he is not a suspect in the actual murder just someone that knew her and might be able to aid in their investigation. if i read the stories correctly of course.

In fairness the cops now say people are not suspects, and just want to question individules all the time. We don't know if he will be become a suspect or not. I just took issue with convicting a kid who hasn't even been charged with a crime.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness the cops now say people are not suspects, and just want to question individules all the time. We don't know if he will be become a suspect or not. I just took issue with convicting a kid who hasn't even been charged with a crime.

he supposedly has an air-tight alibi for the actual murder.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he supposedly has an air-tight alibi for the actual murder.

But he's still not cleared. I'm sure if a team thought there is no way he can get charged with connection to the crime bed have been drafted. Maybe the whole Aaron Hernandez thing has teams nervous.

Anyone think maybe the NFL office told all team to stay clear of him. Personally I though it was BS that the league denied his request to be pulled from this draft. I don't see the harm in releasing him now and letting him go in the upcoming supplemental draft.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought a team would use a 7th on him. I guess his threat of sitting out had weight behind it.

Cowboys had 87K for signing bonuses for UDFA's and 15K of that went to WR George Farmer leaving 72K for the other 12.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't the Cowboys just outbid teams for his services, just like Dallas did for Ronald Leary? Dallas signed Leary for $393,000 and guaranteed $214,000.

Sign Collins for the max amount and guarantee the entire contract. The signing bonus would be irrelevant in this scenario since the entire contract would be guaranteed, and in this case Dallas can retain it's $75k pool for other UDFA's. It's not a large amount of money in the scheme of things, and if it's enough to land Dallas a first round talent, it's well worth the gamble. This is assuming he is cleared of any wrongdoing.

Last edited:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't the Cowboys just outbid teams for his services, just like Dallas did for Ronald Leary? Dallas signed Leary for $393,000 and guaranteed $214,000.

Sign Collins for the max amount and guarantee the entire contract. The signing bonus would be irrelevant in this scenario since the entire contract would be guaranteed, and in this case Dallas can retain it's $75k pool for other UDFA's. It's not a large amount of money in the scheme of things, and if it's enough to land Dallas a first round talent, it's well worth the gamble. This is assuming he is cleared of any wrongdoing.

It will probably come down to the team that has spent the least UDFA money when/if Collins is cleared by police.

I have a feeling the police are looking at him as a subject of interest.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's still not cleared. I'm sure if a team thought there is no way he can get charged with connection to the crime bed have been drafted. Maybe the whole Aaron Hernandez thing has teams nervous.

Anyone think maybe the NFL office told all team to stay clear of him. Personally I though it was BS that the league denied his request to be pulled from this draft. I don't see the harm in releasing him now and letting him go in the upcoming supplemental draft.
If the NFL office told teams to collude and not pick him, he won't have any trouble finding a lawyer for the civil suit...this is a league where Ray Lewis found work...

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will probably come down to the team that has spent the least UDFA money when/if Collins is cleared by police.

I have a feeling the police are looking at him as a subject of interest.

Just curious, why do you think that is?

As I understand it, the signing bonus the UDFA's sign goes towards that player's total salary if he makes the team. It's not in addition to the salary they signed a contract for. So with that in mind, if Dallas were to offer say $400k to Collins and guarantee the entire 400k, it wouldn't be much different than a team offering Collins $400k with $75k signing bonus -- the only real difference is that with the Dallas offer Collins is guaranteed the entire 400k from the start.

example:

Team A offers $400k salary and guarantees all $400k. Player receives $400k over the course of the contract, and is guaranteed to receive all of it.

Team B offers $400k salary with $75k signing bonus, but no additional guaranteed money. Player receives $400k over the course of contract, but is only guaranteed the $75k.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, why do you think that is?

As I understand it, the signing bonus the UDFA's sign goes towards that player's total salary if he makes the team. It's not in addition to the salary they signed a contract for. So with that in mind, if Dallas were to offer say $400k to Collins and guarantee the entire 400k, it wouldn't be much different than a team offering Collins $400k with $75k signing bonus -- the only real difference is that with the Dallas offer Collins is guaranteed the entire 400k from the start.

example:

Team A offers $400k salary and guarantees all $400k. Player receives $400k over the course of the contract, and is guaranteed to receive all of it.

Team B offers $400k salary with $75k signing bonus, but no additional guaranteed money. Player receives $400k over the course of contract, but is only guaranteed the $75k.

Each team has an equal pool of money for UDFA's. That means that by the time Collins is cleared one team will have more to pay Collins than the others do.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would have been a pretty wise way to go. If he never signs, you lose a 7thm big whoop. Jerry could tell them that if he plays well, we would resign him long term after year two, get him to big money quicker