• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UC signs 2 white kids (twin brothers)!

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh neat... They got positive attention. Mason was 7 games over .500 for his 10 year career. It's like he was the Marvin Lewis of college football. Jerry Kill was .500. Minnesota is a great destination for coaches that love being average.

Why will Fleck leave? Money. Same reason other good coaches leave and go somewhere else. Unless you have other information, I'd say that Minnesota is not in the top 20 in total revenue from their football program. That's (at least) 20 other schools that could come calling with money and resources. You can call me ignorant or call me names. And no, I can't prove anything...... But I'd say history is on my side - Coaches leave when money comes calling. If you don't think there are better programs and destinations for college football and basketball in this country, I think you're naive.

Sorry to pop your bubble, but UMn is easily Top 20 in total revenue. Have been for decades. Maybe not every single year, but on average for sure.

Last chart I saw, regarding recruiting spending/budgets, UMn came in #15 in recruiting spending for football at $1,081,075.

UC came in #52 at $374,630

UMn just gave Fleck something like a million dollar raise, he's up to something like 4.6 mil a year, which puts him among the Top 20 highest paid coaches in cfb right now, and his bonuses this year were near the highest of anyone, Top Ten for sure, at $375,000 I think?

His wife just took a position with the board at the local Ronald McDonald House. Word is she LOVES it here in Minnesota. They have a house on Lake Minnetonka. I've been there, I know he's digging it. He's a midwestern boy, and claims coaching in the B1G has been his ultimate dream job. And since we all know the whole RTB/Culture stuff he's so into would never work in the NFL, the only other option is a northern non-Big School, so Notre Dame? He's not Catholic, so we just might be safe and may have Fleck for a very very long time.

Maybe you have never been to Minnesota? It's hard to get people to move here, but once they do, it's even harder to get them to move away. I'm not even kidding, there is statistical data to prove this is a fact.

UMn, at one point, was the largest university in the world, sometime back in the 70s. It's still Top Ten I believe, so that is a shitload of alumni. Couple Billionaires among them. Lots of very right millionaires. UMn has been quite on the sports scene for awhile so those people weren't very activated, but we still did manage to come up with the money to build a football stadium, a new baseball stadium, a brand new practice facility/student village, among other things, and that was BEFORE we landed a hot young coach who quickly vaulted us up the rankings into the Top Ten.

So we have the top notch facilities, the hottest young up and coming coach, our academics are top notch, our big city metropolitan location is top notch for players who want that kind of an atmosphere, tons of Fortune 500 companies near buy, to either hire our graduates, donate money to the University as many of them do, and finally, and probably the least important factor of all, is we have a glorious history that some young kid just might want to become a part of.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never questioned UM's academics or whether it is a nice city.

The facts remain the same - The school has been largely irrelevant in football and basketball since the beginning of the cable television era. I'm happy you are optimistic for the future.... Probably plenty of reasons for optimism. That doesn't change the fact that coaches leave. It happens every year - Even to guys that swear they are in their dream job.

As for revenue.... They likely aren't above any of the teams listed here, but true revenue from the last two years isn't reported.

College Football’s Most Valuable Teams: Reigning Champion Clemson Tigers Claw Into Top 25

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never questioned UM's academics or whether it is a nice city.

The facts remain the same - The school has been largely irrelevant in football and basketball since the beginning of the cable television era. I'm happy you are optimistic for the future.... Probably plenty of reasons for optimism. That doesn't change the fact that coaches leave. It happens every year - Even to guys that swear they are in their dream job.

As for revenue.... They likely aren't above any of the teams listed here, but true revenue from the last two years isn't reported.

College Football’s Most Valuable Teams: Reigning Champion Clemson Tigers Claw Into Top 25

Well, Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin were all in there, with both UW and Iowa having consistency in the coaching position and Nebraska still riding the coattails of their formerly being a blue blood in the 90s, and we probably had a dip right around the 3 year period where we had 3 different coaches and a semi-scandal. But otherwise, we often rank right there in among Iowa and Wisconsin.

So check back to see how we stand after the last 2 years are figured in. B1G's being getting lots of team into some great bowl games, so lots of revenue there.

And then not figured into that ranking I'm sure, is cbb revenue and UMn is one of the few colleges in the country that has a 3rd revenue sport, as our men's hockey program makes money. And a couple of our other programs come close to breaking even, our Women's VB program and our Wrestling program, so that helps as some schools are hit hard by all the non-revenue programs their football program has to cover.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then THIS also just went up since that ranking you posted. Along with the 11-2 season. All coming together.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really interested in watching Gopher p#rn.... But thanks for chatting anyway.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such an odd flex to come onto someone else's board and post a bunch of irrelevant stuff, but ok.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game from the Bearcats the other night. Though I've been skeptical of the new coach, his team is starting to find an identity and they are winning big games.... That's a sign of good coaching. I wish they played better situational basketball - It was hard watching them waste so many offensive possessions late in that game, but they pulled it out.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bball - but still UC related - Fickell burns MSU by returning to UC.

Those fans on another site are all on suicide watch. They are in full melt-down mode that a coach from "UC" would dare to turn down the great MSU.

Hilarious.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m too old for that shit

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mick Cronin named Pac-12 Coach of the Year..... The dude is a great coach - Not appreciated enough by UC fans.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mick Cronin named Pac-12 Coach of the Year..... The dude is a great coach - Not appreciated enough by UC fans.

I loved him in Willy Wonka, though.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a great hire at the time, and was exactly what was needed. But, it's hard not to also think that his time at UC had kind of run its course. He'll succeed at UCLA because he'll be able to land high end talent by default - something he couldn't really do at UC.

As a matter of fact, if you look at his last 3 recruiting classes - he's got 1 bonafide player in Keith Williams, a potential guy in Mamadou, but who has show the biggest growth under the new system with Brannen....and that's it. His last 3 recruiting classes had: Logan Johnson, Nsoseme, Hardnette, Fredericks, Prince (out with medical issue), Trevor Moore, Samari Curtis, Keith Williams, and Mamadou.

That's a big 'ol WHIFF in the recruiting cycle over a 3 year period.

When you look at what Brannen was able to put together in just about 2 months: Harvey, Adams-Woods, Davenport, and Vogt - and then adding in Eason, Madsen twins, and Saunders...

The future is bright. I wish Cronin the best, but I think by the end, he was bitter, and word was he wasn't recruiting like he had the previous few years, and I think that showed. Whatever it was that went down between him and the former AD, Bohn, it wasn't good and I think it really affected his ability to be at UC and continue at a high level moving forward.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren’t getting ousted from the tournament in the first round this year!

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a great hire at the time, and was exactly what was needed. But, it's hard not to also think that his time at UC had kind of run its course. He'll succeed at UCLA because he'll be able to land high end talent by default - something he couldn't really do at UC.

As a matter of fact, if you look at his last 3 recruiting classes - he's got 1 bonafide player in Keith Williams, a potential guy in Mamadou, but who has show the biggest growth under the new system with Brannen....and that's it. His last 3 recruiting classes had: Logan Johnson, Nsoseme, Hardnette, Fredericks, Prince (out with medical issue), Trevor Moore, Samari Curtis, Keith Williams, and Mamadou.

That's a big 'ol WHIFF in the recruiting cycle over a 3 year period.

When you look at what Brannen was able to put together in just about 2 months: Harvey, Adams-Woods, Davenport, and Vogt - and then adding in Eason, Madsen twins, and Saunders...

The future is bright. I wish Cronin the best, but I think by the end, he was bitter, and word was he wasn't recruiting like he had the previous few years, and I think that showed. Whatever it was that went down between him and the former AD, Bohn, it wasn't good and I think it really affected his ability to be at UC and continue at a high level moving forward.

I wonder how easy it was to recruit with the constraints being put on him by the administration.... It's pretty easy for a competing coach to point to the AD and tell the recruit that it is obvious Mick is being forced out. While I am impressed by Brannen's early recruiting, I still fear that he's going to be set up to fail. We'll see.

As for Mick... We'll see. Coaches that don't advance through the tourney don't make it very long out there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how easy it was to recruit with the constraints being put on him by the administration.... It's pretty easy for a competing coach to point to the AD and tell the recruit that it is obvious Mick is being forced out. While I am impressed by Brannen's early recruiting, I still fear that he's going to be set up to fail. We'll see.

As for Mick... We'll see. Coaches that don't advance through the tourney don't make it very long out there.
On Mick - I think he'll get at least 3 more years. I believe his buyout is north of 15M until after his 4th season, or something like that. UCLA couldn't pay TCU 7M for Dixon, they're not going to pay Cronin that much to go away - unless he really bombs out, I don't see that happening. He returns every player from this year, landed 2 top 100 kids, and beat Sean Miller's ass twice this season (That was glorious to watch - because Miller is an ass who should have a life-time show-cause for his coaching). I think Mick will do well - but you are right - he's got to win in March.

I think Brannen will do well. He's a solid recruiter (he was lead recruiter at Alabama when they landed Sexton and that class that was like 4 top 100 kids). He knows how to build relationships with the kids and their families that run pretty deep. He's also great at showing how his offense can showcase a kids skills - something every recruit has mentioned after meeting with him. Also, I think his style of offense is appealing. They are going to run, pass, and shoot like crazy.

As long as UC is in the AAC - there are always going to be limits, but I believe those limits are more geared to football with how the playoff is setup. In basketball - you can make March - even in the AAC. It's what you do when you get there that's on you as a coach, and as a team.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
starting to miss sports. I was looking forward to watching my kid play soccer for his club, and also for FCC to start.

who dey? nobody...
nobody going to beat shit.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
starting to miss sports. I was looking forward to watching my kid play soccer for his club, and also for FCC to start.

who dey? nobody...
nobody going to beat shit.
I mean, I miss March Madness. It's probably my favorite sporting time of the year - and I've been out to Vegas for this several times. It's just great - especially that 1st weekend.

What really sucks more than the sports, for me, is all the places closing down. Most of my weekends involve meeting up with friends and grabbing a drink at a brewery or at Coopers Hawk for the ladies so they can have wine. You can still grab-and-go, but it's more about the ability to hang out there (wherever) and just relax that sucks.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I miss March Madness. It's probably my favorite sporting time of the year - and I've been out to Vegas for this several times. It's just great - especially that 1st weekend.

What really sucks more than the sports, for me, is all the places closing down. Most of my weekends involve meeting up with friends and grabbing a drink at a brewery or at Coopers Hawk for the ladies so they can have wine. You can still grab-and-go, but it's more about the ability to hang out there (wherever) and just relax that sucks.

Yeah.... This is going to get tough. Most people have something or a number of things that they do to get out of the house and interact. Some folks do the church thing, some the gym, the movies, breweries, food, sporting events, etc., etc., etc.... While one or two weeks isn't going to hurt anyone, you can bet this is going to be hard as time goes by.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that sucks for the NCAA's - Coach Brannen was on the radio yesterday, I think it was, and was talking about how the team was prepping for the AAC Tournament - said Jarron had finally turned a corner on his heel and was getting really close to healthy. Healthy Jarron - and UC is the best team in the conference - and would have ended up one of those lower seeds with a chance to really hurt some teams in the tourney. Sucks that they go out this way.