• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UC signs 2 white kids (twin brothers)!

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1977 Final AP Men's Basketball Poll - College Poll Archive - Historical College Football and Basketball Polls and Rankings

1977 Gopher's BB program, ranked #13 in the nation, with a win over eventual Natl Champs Marquette, were NOT invited to play in the NCAA tourney.

This team only had 5 or 6 future NBA players on it, including the #1 pick overall, Mychal Thompson, and future NBA coach Flip Saunders. I believe one of the guys ended up on the Harlem Globetrotters.

I'd argue with anyone, that this is the GREATEST TEAM EVER not to play in the NCAA tourney.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMn has produced FOUR Naismith Basketball Hall of Famers, and over 40 NBA players, including 5 that scored over 10,000 pts.

How did this happen? How could it happen? Seeing as they have had so few teams play in the NCAA tourney???

Well, I've given you some evidence as to how.

UMn has produced MORE NBAers than Cincy, and it's not even close.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not making any sense. Aside from a short period in the 80s and then a short period after Bob Huggins, the Bearcats have been a perennial tournament team. They've made the tournament the past 9 seasons. They appeared in 14 consecutive tournaments from 1992-2005. That's 23 tourneys in the last 27 years. The idea that this isn't a top 30-40 program is just silly..... There are not anywhere close to 30 teams that can claim that much sustained success.

Hell, our football program has been better than yours over the past 20 years as well..... I mean, I'll give you this year (blind squirrel.)

You guys are good at hockey. Nice to have a sport where only 10 other cold weather schools compete.

We're good at WAY MORE than just Hockey. And we have totally dominated hockey, and no, you dumb muther fucker, there are not just 10 teams that compete in hockey, the WOMEN's game has over 40 programs at Div 1, and the Gophers have won 7 Titles in the 20th Century, no other program has more than 5. The Men's program competes against around 80 programs, and has supplied the US Olympic team with the vast majority if it's players, especially it's Gold and Silver Medal winning players and coaches. Cincy can't even claim to be Top 25 of any sport on earth, cept maybe Dance Competitions? But even in that sport UMn totally dominates you all, as UMn has won at least 19 Natl Titles in Dance in the 21st Century.

And football? lol Whatever dude, We had already won SEVEN NATL TITLES, before we decided to take some time off from dominating the sport, and you all did what? Had ONE SINGLE SOLITARY overrated season, where you lost big time to Iowa, but then got overrated after beating up on nothing but creampuffs, only to bet trounced in your bowl game? lol

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, dude, I just proved you HORRIBLY WRONG with 5 examples of your being wrong. You going to admit to having been wrong? I mean, HORRIBLY WRONG???

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez dude... In one breath you say you want to talk about the last 30 years. In the next, you give me examples from 40-50 years ago. I'm not surprised a ranked team missed the tourney when there were only 32 slots available. The tourney didn't expand to 64 until the 80s.

I will gladly admit that I was wrong about stuff that happened in a timeframe that we weren't talking about. Your claim is that the Bearcats have not been relevant in recent history and they were only relevant in their past. I said they were a hell of a lot better than Minny and you then go back and give me examples from the 60s and 70s? You're not making sense.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're also withholding key information..... The reason the 77 Gophers didn't make the tourney was because they were being punished for being cheaters - NOT because they were overlooked after playing in a tough conference.

This is like me saying the undefeated 2012 Buckeyes were overlooked for the BCS championship, when they were simply ineligible.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And BTW - The NCAA officially has the Gophers winning no games in 1977 because their star player was selling tickets on the side. Do you guys ever have a period of success that isn't followed with sanctions?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So long Luke Fickel..... Hope MSU treats you well.

Remind me again why we abandoned our basketball program for football?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So long Luke Fickel..... Hope MSU treats you well.

Remind me again why we abandoned our basketball program for football?

Cause your school is a joke, always has been, always will be until you get in a legit conf. One hit wonders in cbb almost 60 years ago, NEVER BEENS in college football.

Playing against nobodies in 90% of your games, of course you are going to win more than you lose, but as soon as you have to play a team from a real conference, you get your arses whooped. And looking back at just the # of seasons a young recruit might actually remember, like the last 6 or 7, UC hasn't won any more games than Minnesota has, despite UMn playing a much tougher schedule each season. It's why we CAN keep our coaches, and UC can't.

When UC ever joins a REAL conference and stops being a stepping stone school for up and coming young coaches to get their feet wet before jumping into the P5 pool, then come talk to me.

And when UC bb every goes further into the NCAA bb tournament than their overrated seeding says they should, then get back to me, because I ALWAYS bet against Cincy come March, and your boys always come through for me and disappoint, whether it's the NCAA tourney or even the NIT or one of the other lame ass tournaments, UC loses early in them, too.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause your school is a joke, always has been, always will be until you get in a legit conf. One hit wonders in cbb almost 60 years ago, NEVER BEENS in college football.

Playing against nobodies in 90% of your games, of course you are going to win more than you lose, but as soon as you have to play a team from a real conference, you get your arses whooped. And looking back at just the # of seasons a young recruit might actually remember, like the last 6 or 7, UC hasn't won any more games than Minnesota has, despite UMn playing a much tougher schedule each season. It's why we CAN keep our coaches, and UC can't.

When UC ever joins a REAL conference and stops being a stepping stone school for up and coming young coaches to get their feet wet before jumping into the P5 pool, then come talk to me.

And when UC bb every goes further into the NCAA bb tournament than their overrated seeding says they should, then get back to me, because I ALWAYS bet against Cincy come March, and your boys always come through for me and disappoint, whether it's the NCAA tourney or even the NIT or one of the other lame ass tournaments, UC loses early in them, too.

anigif_enhanced-6732-1422551428-2.gif

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the dumbest thing I've heard lately.... And I watched the SOTU last night.

What coach have you had at Minnesota that ANYONE has wanted? I can give you Fleck, but I'd bet he'll be gone after one more good year. Before him, you have to go back to Lou Holtz before finding a good coach that would go onto any sort of success either at UM or elsewhere.

Meanwhile, in Cincinnati you have Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly, and Luke Fickell in the past 15 years.... Butch Jones was a flameout at TN and Tuberville was past his prime.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - There are currently 6 Gophers in the NFL. There are 17 Bearcats - Including the league's best tight end..... But yeah, it's just about the competition.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trolling team boards is off limits. I suggest Fred slow his roll if he knows what's good for him.

I didn't troll any team page, I responded to a post about UC bb, and it doesn't look like "cincygrad" has much else to talk to, so if he's got a problem with it, he can nicely ask me to leave, and I will. Otherwise my guess is he probably appreciates someone talking about UC bb, other than him, even if that person is bashing them, and I'm sure he feels he can stand up for his team just fine. I know too many Cincy fans, they all think VERY highly of their teenie weenie little one sport one hit wonder school. It's what happens when you play weak competition 90% of the time, you get overrated and an inflated ego.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the dumbest thing I've heard lately.... And I watched the SOTU last night.

What coach have you had at Minnesota that ANYONE has wanted? I can give you Fleck, but I'd bet he'll be gone after one more good year. Before him, you have to go back to Lou Holtz before finding a good coach that would go onto any sort of success either at UM or elsewhere.

Meanwhile, in Cincinnati you have Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly, and Luke Fickell in the past 15 years.... Butch Jones was a flameout at TN and Tuberville was past his prime.

Both Glen Mason and Jerry Kill got alot of positive attention. Outside of them, there was only an interim coach who was here for a year until we snagged Fleck, and that one dumb loser who should have started out in the MAC or AAC first. He was proof positive of why a team in a REAL conf shouldn't hire guys like him, those kinds of guys need to start out as coordinators/asst coaches, or get a job at a G5 school instead, where they have more room for error. After Holtz, in the 90s, sure we had 2 less than stellar coaches, we also played in that stupid dome and had the worst practice facilities in the conference during that time. UMn had not yet chosen to take football seriously, which they finally did when they hired Glen Mason. But UMn isn't a stepping stone school that plays a ton of weak competition where an up and coming young coach CAN win some games early on without having to tear it up on the recruiting scene.

And in bb, UMn had nothing but top notch coaches all the way up until Clem Haskins. We even had John Wooden wanting to come here, but a snow storm prevented our call to go through to let him know we accepted his application for the job, so he went and called UCLA instead, when we got through to him, he said, sorry, I gave my word to UCLA and can't go back on it now. Which was fine, we brought in Musselman, who was simply ahead of his time, brought in too many black players, including some Jr College guys, the combo of which pissed off the rest of the conf coaches, then to make it worse, we packed our Arena with a high flying pre-game warmup show that impressed even the Harlem Globetrotters, with one or two of our players going on to play with the Globetrotters in fact. Monson was just meant to be the guy to get us through the probation years. After him, lots of teams were interested in Tubby Smith and likewise, Pitino has been shown lots of interest as well. The coaches for many of our other sports are also very highly sought after, well, they don't get the buzz that cbb/cfb coaches get of course, and some just don't even try because UMn truly is a final destination school for coaches of almost every sport. Rarely do we lose coaches, instead we snag an olympic Gold winning VB coach or Big Ten title winning VB coach from Illinois, or a legend like Lindsay Whalen who comes home after an amazing pro career, or hockey coaches who come here from other successful programs only to retire from Minnesota. We've only had 2 women's hockey coaches, 1st won 3 titles, then retired, 2nd ha won 4 titles and is still here, ranked #2 right now. Of our last 4 men's coaches, one left to perform the MIRACLE ON ICE, and then to the NHL, the next retired, the next one also retired from UMn, and the 4th, well, after winning 2 titles he also retired and who did we replace him with, only the coach of the #1 ranked team the previous season, lol. Our Wrestling coach was an Okla St star, turned college wrestling into a parity sport when it was just 2 team and everyone else before. He retired and we just snagged one of our super star wrestlers to take over, he'll most likely retire from UMn.

Pitino? He ain't leaving unless we let him go/fire him. He's in the deepest conference in the nation and all alone in a very bb talent rich state. He gets the right ones, loses the one and doners that wouldn't help us the way we need players to, at least not at this point in his coaching career.

You think Fleck will leave? lol Why? Prove to me how ignorant you are. Why will Fleck leave UMn in another year or two? This ought to be good.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - There are currently 6 Gophers in the NFL. There are 17 Bearcats - Including the league's best tight end..... But yeah, it's just about the competition.

That has only recently swung that way, and it will swing back soon enough.

UMn's put hundreds into the NFL, and they do well there, too. 7 Hall of Famers, so far. Dozens upon dozens of all-star players over the years.

8 former Gopher players made 10 NFL All-Decade Teams. Has a single UC player made even one?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has only recently swung that way, and it will swing back soon enough.

UMn's put hundreds into the NFL, and they do well there, too. 7 Hall of Famers, so far. Dozens upon dozens of all-star players over the years.

8 former Gopher players made 10 NFL All-Decade Teams. Has a single UC player made even one?

Damn dude, you talk about Bearcat basketball being in the past. Those Golden Gopher HOFamers are from another era.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Glen Mason and Jerry Kill got alot of positive attention

You think Fleck will leave? lol Why? Prove to me how ignorant you are. Why will Fleck leave UMn in another year or two? This ought to be good.

Oh neat... They got positive attention. Mason was 7 games over .500 for his 10 year career. It's like he was the Marvin Lewis of college football. Jerry Kill was .500. Minnesota is a great destination for coaches that love being average.

Why will Fleck leave? Money. Same reason other good coaches leave and go somewhere else. Unless you have other information, I'd say that Minnesota is not in the top 20 in total revenue from their football program. That's (at least) 20 other schools that could come calling with money and resources. You can call me ignorant or call me names. And no, I can't prove anything...... But I'd say history is on my side - Coaches leave when money comes calling. If you don't think there are better programs and destinations for college football and basketball in this country, I think you're naive.