• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Columns on Harbaugh's Lack of Confidence in Smith

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the coaches are implying it has been a problem. I don't see how it would have played a role on the Moss INT though.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wonder how much Smith's hand injury has contributed to his performance. He was red hot until that happened.

All the coaches are implying it has been a problem. I don't see how it would have played a role on the Moss INT though.

A few things:

1. If you're playing, injury shouldn't be an issue. Now that we don't have Nolan, I trust that he isn't being semi-forced to play.
2. He hasn't said it was a factor, I don't know what the coaches are saying.
3. His INTs are his fault for throwing as these were decisions, not physical problems like the 2007 shoulder injury; though I must say that if the finger is effecting his throws, then the throws on those passes are different than a healthy hand - this changes the passes you trust yourself to throw, the throws themselves, and the situations you find yourself in that makes you need to throw.
4. Even if the ball is not intercepted, an injured throwing hand can effect overall play.
5. I think he's healthy enough that he should play without risking a win and though he wasn't lights out, he was good enough to win (in the second half).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
your avatar picture shows you have a need to draw attention to your self !:pops:

Wait, people here have pictures of half naked women as their avatars, and you say I'm drawing attention to myself?

The avatar is to prove that I'm not rooting against Crabtree after lambasting Scot Mccloughan for drafting him.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree - best after the catch
Manningham - best at getting open
Williams - best straight line speed
Davis - best playmaker
Moss - best diversion

That's why I see our receivers right now.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Crabtree - best after the catch
Manningham - best at getting open
Williams - best straight line speed
Davis - best playmaker
Moss - Useless & needs to be cut

FIFY

Except Ginn has the best straight line speed (or maybe AJ Jenkins if he even counts).

LONGBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wait, people here have pictures of half naked women as their avatars, and you say I'm drawing attention to myself?

The avatar is to prove that I'm not rooting against Crabtree after lambasting Scot Mccloughan for drafting him.

the real point is it's your posts that you use to draw attention to your self !:kk:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
the real point is it's your posts that you use to draw attention to your self !:kk:

milfordman.jpg

...A hundred points for whoever got that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those plays cited in those articles tell me that Harbaugh trusts Wilson to not win the game and in the defense to not let him. Roman may lie from time to time, but for what it's worth, he said he thought they'd get the first. Perhaps, Seattle should have been expecting a pass?

Ultimately, they either trust him or don't. I don't think they will lose trust based on one play nor will they change their entire outlook on Smith for the better on one regular season play with the lead. He's been doing good things and doing bad things for the past 2 years with them and will continue to do so to build their trust (or lack thereof) in him. It could contibute to the entirety of trust, but the season's too long to look at one play and make a huge change in trust. If they don't trust him, they didn't before the pick, imo.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If Smith struggles against Arizona then I feel the team should strongly consider putting CK in there. He would have the bye week to get ready and I would rather take my chances on the unknown when you know the known isn't going to cut it.

That said I expect Smith to normalize against Arizona but that still doesn't alleviate the by far my biggest concern with Smith in his lack of willingness to attempt difficult throws.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith struggles against Arizona then I feel the team should strongly consider putting CK in there. He would have the bye week to get ready and I would rather take my chances on the unknown when you know the known isn't going to cut it.

That said I expect Smith to normalize against Arizona but that still doesn't alleviate the by far my biggest concern with Smith in his lack of willingness to attempt difficult throws.

He did against the Giants and look what happened =\
His confidence took a big hit after that game. I'd rather him go back to the be the smart and safe QB that just takes what the defense gives him and say screw everyone that thinks I need to throw into tight coverage. We made nearly made the Super Bowl last year by him making the smart and safe plays.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your posts seem fine to me. Post on.

...A hundred points for whoever got that.[/QUOTE]

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

we all know what the limitations are on Alex Smith, by now we should just accept he isn't a 'gunslinger'. by now we should just accept he's not going to attempt 'difficult throws'. am i happy about it, of course not, nobody is.

everything is in place for him to take the next step up, but by now we can see he's at his max. but his max beats what we were getting before Harbaugh.

plus, Harbaugh is 'programming' him to take what the D gives, encouraging his mindset to make the easier throw. for me, just be better at the short and medium throws, just improve on accuracy and timing on 'easier' throws. right now there is room for improvement on both points.

i couldn't see his knee on TV, but we could all see he's throwing high.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex did it to himself.... it was definitely I don't trust you right now call.

But we'll stick with Alex... Alex needs to get his act together.

if smith's finger isn't 100% and is causing the problems (he was looking to be taking good steps before the injury) then we should go with kap. even if its for a game or two then bring smith back when he's throwing the ball better.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if smith's finger isn't 100% and is causing the problems (he was looking to be taking good steps before the injury) then we should go with kap. even if its for a game or two then bring smith back when he's throwing the ball better.

It would be Troy Smith all over again, except Kaepernick is better and more sustainable. Just kidding, but seriously speaking, I don't know that his finger is effecting much, and if it is, he played well enough physically to expect him to beat Arizona and heal for the after the bye. His bad throws were mostly bad decisions and defense. I seriously doubt he's going to ever let the coaching staff bench him for an injury, when he's had a history of injuries and losing his job. Our staff is better and trusts him more, but I don't see him letting things get out of his control (injury on what looks small to most, two games in, CK coming in and winning). He's not going to step down, trusting that his job in the same capacity is there for him when he comes back. If he had a concussion, he'd virtually have no choice. With an injured throwing shoulder, he wouldn't have much of a choice either. But middle finger two games in? Yeah, he's not coming out.

The way he's had 4 INTs in the last two games right after Kaep was increasing his time tells me he sees the writing on the wall (where there was still some doubt there before) and is pushing to overcome his hesitations. So far, it's led to INTs, maybe it will eventually lead to some better, deeper, more difficult throws? There's a limitation, but I see him trying to expand where I doubt we see that without Kaep in there. Add in possible disruption of the offense, potentially, it could lead to what has happened in the past two games. I say it's mostly the defenses we've faced and a bit coaching in the Giants game (running would have made Smith look better), but football and psyche is so multi-factorial. (When I say psyche, I don't mean Smith thinking, "Does Harbs like me any more?" I mean him thinking he needs to go deeper, run more, or something to fend off Kaep.)

To fend off Kaep, I'd prefer him just doing what he's been doing, better. That, coupled with a SB could do it for at least another year. Then, naturally expand depth, not necessarily expanding risks in the same proportion. Much of this depends on the playcall and personnel. By now, he should be familiar and comfortable with everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if this is the case, IF......then i agree. cause if this will cause multiple INT's and missed completions, Kap can't do any worse.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It would be Troy Smith all over again, except Kaepernick is better and more sustainable. Just kidding, but seriously speaking, I don't know that his finger is effecting much, and if it is, he played well enough physically to expect him to beat Arizona and heal for the after the bye. His bad throws were mostly bad decisions and defense. I seriously doubt he's going to ever let the coaching staff bench him for an injury, when he's had a history of injuries and losing his job. Our staff is better and trusts him more, but I don't see him letting things get out of his control (injury on what looks small to most, two games in, CK coming in and winning). He's not going to step down, trusting that his job in the same capacity is there for him when he comes back. If he had a concussion, he'd virtually have no choice. With an injured throwing shoulder, he wouldn't have much of a choice either. But middle finger two games in? Yeah, he's not coming out.

The way he's had 4 INTs in the last two games right after Kaep was increasing his time tells me he sees the writing on the wall (where there was still some doubt there before) and is pushing to overcome his hesitations. So far, it's led to INTs, maybe it will eventually lead to some better, deeper, more difficult throws? There's a limitation, but I see him trying to expand where I doubt we see that without Kaep in there. Add in possible disruption of the offense, potentially, it could lead to what has happened in the past two games. I say it's mostly the defenses we've faced and a bit coaching in the Giants game (running would have made Smith look better), but football and psyche is so multi-factorial. (When I say psyche, I don't mean Smith thinking, "Does Harbs like me any more?" I mean him thinking he needs to go deeper, run more, or something to fend off Kaep.)

To fend off Kaep, I'd prefer him just doing what he's been doing, better. That, coupled with a SB could do it for at least another year. Then, naturally expand depth, not necessarily expanding risks in the same proportion. Much of this depends on the playcall and personnel. By now, he should be familiar and comfortable with everybody.

in this last game he was throwing high, but that was his knee flex issue. wondering if maybe in fact his finger is adding to it now?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in this last game he was throwing high, but that was his knee flex issue. wondering if maybe in fact his finger is adding to it now?

I'm not a physical therapist, so I don't know if the sprain should be "gone" by the 29th or gone by the first week after the bye, etc. I don't know whether the Giants and Seahawks games has made it worse or take longer to heal. I think we will beat Arizona with Smith's current play - take away the boneheaded INT, he played alright considering the defense. I say "take it away" in the sense of that being a bad decision, not a finger issue. By after the bye, he'll likely be all healed, it's not like it's broken (but I wish he had braced himself with the left hand).