• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tubbs Pre-Combine Mock Draft

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tubbs 2012 Pre-Combine Mock Draft

1. Indianapolis Colts – Andrew Luck QB Stanford – Seems like an obvious pick, especially with the Polians now gone. I think the big question now is what do they do with Manning.
2. Washington Redskins (via St. Louis) – Robert Griffin III QB Baylor – We all know Snyder doesn’t care to trade his draft picks, I mean he offered two #1’s for Chad Johnson. Grossman and Beck were just not the answer in Washington. Griffin gives them a dynamic play maker on that offense to go along with Helu.
3. Minnesota Vikings – Matt Kalil LT USC – They have to keep Ponder upright. If they don’t start protecting him better he will be out of the league in 3 years. Kalil is an elite LT prospect and in a lot of drafts would be the 1st player taken.
4. Cleveland Browns – Trent Richardson RB Alabama – With Griffin off the board Richardson makes a ton of sense. They need a RB since Hillis more than likely won’t be back. Richardson is the best back in the draft and will give them an instant running attack.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Morris Claiborne CB LSU – The Buccs get the top CB in the draft. With Talibs problems with the law and Barbers age problems CB has to be a top priority.
6. St. Louis Rams (via Washington)– Justin Blackmon WR OSU – Things could not have worked out better for the Rams. They get the elite WR they need for Bradford, extra picks, and save some money all at the same time.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars – Michael Floyd WR ND – This is quite a bit of a reach for the Jags, and they are in a bad spot unless they can trade back. They need a WR for Gabbert but this is still early for Floyd. I had Kirkpatrick here but after his weed arrest he will probably drop some.
8. Miami Dolphins – Reilly Reiff OT Iowa – Matt Moore was just good enough to screw the Dolphins over and get himself another shot next year. They have Jake Long on one side, but their RT is abysmal. Reiff will give them a great pair of bookends to protect Moore and open up the run game for Bush and Thomas.
9. Carolina Panthers – Devon Still DT PSU – Still was a beast in college and the Panthers need help on the defense. They would love a CB but one worth the 9th pick isn’t available so they sure up the middle of their line.
10. Buffalo Bills – Quinton Coples DE UNC – Buffalo got no real pressure to speak of up front this year. Coples is as talented as they come, but doesn’t seem to care sometimes. If his inverviews go poorly he could drop farther than this.
11. Kansas City Chiefs – Jonathan Martin OT Stanford – They need an upgrade at RT badly. They had a lot of injuries this year and it cost them. Putting Jonathan Martin on the line will help protect whoever plays QB and open up running lanes for Charles and Battle.
12. Seattle Seahawks – Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois – With no QB available here to take over for Jackson the Hawks move to the other side of the ball. Mecilus led the nation in sacks this year and has a lot of talent and potential to be a sack artist in this league.
13. Arizona Cardinals – Nick Perry DE/OLB USC – The Cardinals need to get more pressure on the QB. Peterson emerged as a great return man, but still isn’t a great CB yet.
14. Dallas Cowboys - Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama – With his recent arrest he may drop a little, however with their secondary needs he will drop no farther than the Boys.
15. Philadelphia Eagles – Luke Kuechly ILB Boston College – The Eagles LB’ers were terrible. If they want to take that step to the dream team they have to upgrade them.
16. NYJ – Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama – The Jets D needs to get to the QB, and they didn’t this year. Upshaw would add a pass rush to an aging D.
17. Cincinnati Bengals – David Decastro OG Stanford – Nate Livings was abysmal. Bobbie Williams wasn’t a whole lot better and might retire this year. OG is a huge need for the Bengals and Decastro is the best OG prospect to come along in a while.
18. San Diego Chargers – Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama – Jammer will be 33 this year and SD took another CB with character concerns in Cromartie.
19. Chicago Bears – Kendall Wright WR Baylor – The Bears need a #1 WR, and Wright seems like he might be that guy. Was just a beast at Baylor.
20. Tennessee Titans – Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina – The Titans need a pass rush and Ingram provides that. With Manning/Luck, and Shaub in that division, if you want to win it you have to get to the QB.
21. Cincinnati Bengals – Lamar Miller RB Miami – Benson has been less than stellar. Miller possesses the size that you love in a RB and the breakaway speed for the big play. Good hands will also help in the WCO.
22. Cleveland Browns – Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina – The Browns need a real threat at the WR position. Jeffery routinely made great plays at South Carolina. He had a down year this year, but I see that as being more to do with the horrible QB play than him.
23. Detroit Lions – Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska – The Lions passing D is going to have to get better for them to be able to make it through the NFC. The Saints just passed all over them. Dennard is the best CB available.
24. Pittsburgh Steelers – Cordy Glenn OG Georgia – While the defense is aging, if they can’t protect Ben better and get the running game going next the Steelers still won’t be able to win through the AFC.
25. Denver Broncos – Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State – The Broncos offense, while needing to be better has talent on it. The defense however still needs to be upgraded and DT is one of those positions that needs it.
26. Houston Texans – Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers – The Texans desperately need a WR opposite Johnson. Sanu would give the Texans offense another option to throw the ball too making it even scarier.
27. New England Patriots – Chase Mannifield CB Virginia – We all know the Patriots need to go after some defense. Their offense is firing on all cylinders as usual, the D is their only downfall.
28. Green Bay Packers – Mark Barron SS Alabama – The Packers defense was bad, really bad. They could use another OLB but I didn’t have any left I thought should go here. Barron will add a dimension to the SS position they currently don’t have.
29. Baltimore Ravens – Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State – As great as Ray Lewis is, he isn’t going to play forever. He has an attitude much like Ray Lewis and is a talented head case much like Lewis.
30. San Francisco 49’ers – Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech – The 9’ers need help to bolster their passing game. Crabtree is a really good WR and Davis is an elite TE. Hill would provide a 6’5 WR who can win the jump ball. He also is a great run blocker which the 9’ers will love.
31. New England Patriots – Andre Branch DE Clemson – Is athletic enough to play the 4-3 DE and the 3-4 OLB. The Patriots need to add some pass rush to that D along with Mannifield helping at CB.
32. New York Giants – Dont’a Hightower ILB Alabama – The Giants have no real talent at the ILB position. Hightower could immediately come in and play and improve that defense.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we landed DeCastro and Miller, I'd be thrilled.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington may go after Manning if he becomes available.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If they come outta the first with DeCastro it's a win. I'd be happy w DeCastro and Miller. The way you have it I'd take DeCastro + Glenn.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the OL gets upgraded enough, RB can wait. I like Miller, too, but I think getting a S/CB is more important, if the value is there.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see a CB or S left at 21 that was worth the pick or it woulda been them. And I just can't see the Bengals taking 2 OGs in the first.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As much as it pains me to agree, I too see no way the Bengals draft guards with the top 2 picks. Brownie boy loves him some skill players.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, no doubt. I don't see 2 G's either. Hopefully, one though.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we also need a Cb and a S but I just didn't see one of either available at 21 that we should reach for. Miller would add just another weapon for Dalton and this offense taking some of the pressure off them. If Miller could make a team stack the box to stop them then there is no way they could double AJ. And if he runs a sub 4.3 at 212 lbs then WOW.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You add DeCastro to Whit and Smith that is the start to a damn good run blocking line. Throw in a talented RB and we would have a real good run game.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not certain it would be a good move to use two first rounders on guards. I can't think of a single team that has first round money invested in two guards. I'd take DeCastro if he were there and pair him with a mid-level free agent on the other side -- Or roll the dice and hope an offseason is all that Bolling needed to be ready to start and surround the two with veteran depth. I'd use the other first rounder on a playmaker -- Whether that is a receiver, running back, corner, safety or DT doesn't matter - Just get the best player available.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nobody talks about Whitworth and Smith because they've been playing very well overall, but truth be told, both are better pass protectors than run blockers. Not that they aren't good run blockers, but just replacing one of our guards isn't going to all of a sudden enhance our run blocking as if our guards were holding Whit and Smith back.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody talks about Whitworth and Smith because they've been playing very well overall, but truth be told, both are better pass protectors than run blockers. Not that they aren't good run blockers, but just replacing one of our guards isn't going to all of a sudden enhance our run blocking as if our guards were holding Whit and Smith back.

I agree with this. After watching Baltimore struggle so much with Houston's pass rush, it made me appreciate the job we did in keeping Dalton protected for the most part. They did a good job against Pittsburgh and Baltimore as well. On the other hand, we don't seem to run very well to either side and it's particularly disappointing to see so many negative yard runs to the right given that Andre Smith's strength should be run blocking.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We do have plenty of needs that we could take the best player available, but neglecting our lines for so long has finally caught up to us. I don't know what other teams situations are, but I'd bet most haven't neglected their lines as long as we have. Heck, we haven't even spent later picks on guards, let alone earlier ones. Now those positions are a glaring weakness relative to most of the team and it puts us into more of a bind to improve those more urgently than we'd normally expect. jmo.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have plenty of needs that we could take the best player available, but neglecting our lines for so long has finally caught up to us. I don't know what other teams situations are, but I'd bet most haven't neglected their lines as long as we have. Heck, we haven't even spent later picks on guards, let alone earlier ones. Now those positions are a glaring weakness relative to most of the team and it puts us into more of a bind to improve those more urgently than we'd normally expect. jmo.

It's not just the draft though.... I'm not a huge fan of using FA for older running backs or high priced receivers. Traditionally it hasn't worked out. However, FA has been good for a lot of teams to plug holes on their offensive and defensive lines. Linemen tend to have a little longer shelf life and a lot of them get better with age - Especially the interior guys. I think there will be more than a few servicable vets to acquire and pair with some young draft picks to ensure that you aren't starting two rookies.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would prefer to find a guard in FA. It's a big hole, so why not plug it with a known player instead of an unknown player? With that said though, the likelihood of a good player choosing the Bengals over any other team is not very high, nor is the likelihood of Brown outbidding any other team. We may be stuck with the draft.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I remember a guard picked by the Bengals in the first round....Even Steinbach went in the second, right? Even the great ol of the late 80's had a fifth rounder (Kozerski) and I believe a sixth or seventh rounder (Montoya).....they need to draft at least one in the first though.....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, most teams ignore interior linemen in the first round..... There is normally one or two at best. Meanwhile, teams reach on tackles every year - I imagine it will stay this way as the league has really tilted to the pass.