• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

True Detective

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No and the general consensus seems to agree.

S1 was awesome for the first 4 eps and even good for the next 2.

But the case was so straight forward there wasn't an ending and the main people were not even discovered.

That last two this season polished up everything with out spoon feeding it all.

The general consensus is that the entire S2 was bad.

The plot was muddled and confusing. Main characters died due to incredibly dumb decisions. The ending was less than satisfying and there was no resolution whatsoever. The way they offed Frank was incredibly bizarre with him going down to some mexican cartel that was barely even mentioned or important to the story at all. Ray's final ending was even worse. All the infiltration scenes were completely contrived and unrealistically easy. By the end we didn't even care who committed the original crime that opened the whole season and we cared even less about the crime back in '92 that precluded it.

Point being, they spent 6 episodes trying to set us up for some great payoff and we were left with the final 2 episodes where the characters basically just summarized up everything that happened off scene.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The general consensus is that the entire S2 was bad.

The plot was muddled and confusing. Main characters died due to incredibly dumb decisions. The ending was less than satisfying and there was no resolution whatsoever. The way they offed Frank was incredibly bizarre with him going down to some mexican cartel that was barely even mentioned or important to the story at all. Ray's final ending was even worse. All the infiltration scenes were completely contrived and unrealistically easy. By the end we didn't even care who committed the original crime that opened the whole season and we cared even less about the crime back in '92 that precluded it.

Point being, they spent 6 episodes trying to set us up for some great payoff and we were left with the final 2 episodes where the characters basically just summarized up everything that happened off scene.

The plot actually made perfect sense. The Frank thing you clearly just didn't get because again his scene was about as clear as anything the show has done. Rays ending was foreshadowed all season and quite literally in ep. 3

This like S1 was about corruption at the highest levels. But with a more complex and daring plot and actual resolution.

S1 was better as a whole. It was easier with 2 characte dynamic and simpler plot. But the s2 ended on a far better not.

And again, that's the concencus. There actually is no "s2 was bad concencus" just a not as good.

Sounds like your complaints stem from simply not getting it.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The plot actually made perfect sense. The Frank thing you clearly just didn't get because again his scene was about as clear as anything the show has done. Rays ending was foreshadowed all season and quite literally in ep. 3

This like S1 was about corruption at the highest levels. But with a more complex and daring plot and actual resolution.

S1 was better as a whole. It was easier with 2 characte dynamic and simpler plot. But the s2 ended on a far better not.

And again, that's the concencus. There actually is no "s2 was bad concencus" just a not as good.

Sounds like your complaints stem from simply not getting it.

I definitely followed and got the plot, it was just poorly written and even more poorly executed.

As for S2 being bad, not just when compared to S1, there's a lot of people out there that think this:

True Detective season 2 finale: 7 reasons for the utter disaster that was this season - Vox

Why 'True Detective' Season 2 Is Really, Really Bad - Looper

True Detective Review: Finale Cant Redeem Fatally Flawed Drama | Variety

Is 'True Detective' Season 2 as bad as everyone says it is? | cleveland.com

Fans, critics: 'True Detective' season finale is 'criminal' - NY Daily News

True Detective - Season 2 Reviews - Metacritic

True Detective : Season 2 - Rotten Tomatoes

Metacritic ratings in the 60s is really bad. S1 was in the 80s and 90s. Compare it to other shows that are considered among the best on TV and it pales too. The good news is that with the way TD loads things up, they can get a mulligan for this season and recast and restart completely for next season.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely followed and got the plot, it was just poorly written and even more poorly executed.

As for S2 being bad, not just when compared to S1, there's a lot of people out there that think this:

True Detective season 2 finale: 7 reasons for the utter disaster that was this season - Vox

Why 'True Detective' Season 2 Is Really, Really Bad - Looper

True Detective Review: Finale Cant Redeem Fatally Flawed Drama | Variety

Is 'True Detective' Season 2 as bad as everyone says it is? | cleveland.com

Fans, critics: 'True Detective' season finale is 'criminal' - NY Daily News

True Detective - Season 2 Reviews - Metacritic

True Detective : Season 2 - Rotten Tomatoes

Metacritic ratings in the 60s is really bad. S1 was in the 80s and 90s. Compare it to other shows that are considered among the best on TV and it pales too. The good news is that with the way TD loads things up, they can get a mulligan for this season and recast and restart completely for next season.

No S1 is exactly what its being compared with.

A thing like rotten tomatoes doesn't work for shows like at all.

A show like Gotham got a 90% lol. Because its being graded relative to what it is.

Also TD's overall RT score is 65% which is hilarious considering 3 things

1. That was the score from reviews based off the first 3 episodes.

2. The first 3 are when people mostly complained.

3. Those 3 episodes got a 76, 86 and 77 respectively. Making a 65% incredibly flawed.

look on things like imdb where you get the masses. Fanboys, trolls and objective folk. And the reaction is exactly what I have said.

Worse than S1, got better as it went on, actually wrapped things up.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No S1 is exactly what its being compared with.

A thing like rotten tomatoes doesn't work for shows like at all.

A show like Gotham got a 90% lol. Because its being graded relative to what it is.

Also TD's overall RT score is 65% which is hilarious considering 3 things

1. That was the score from reviews based off the first 3 episodes.

2. The first 3 are when people mostly complained.

3. Those 3 episodes got a 76, 86 and 77 respectively. Making a 65% incredibly flawed.

look on things like imdb where you get the masses. Fanboys, trolls and objective folk. And the reaction is exactly what I have said.

Worse than S1, got better as it went on, actually wrapped things up.

The problem was that S1 was very good, so expectations were really high for S2. I thought it was ok, not terrible, but not that great either. I had serious issues with a lot of different scenes throughout the series and was less than enthused by the finale.

They can re-rack and hopefully put out a better product for season 3.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I enjoyed season 2 and hope there's a season 3.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 was better overall, but I like 2's ending better.

2 was a little "busy".

Looking forward to a 3rd tho.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it was because I kept falling asleep while watching it, but I'm not sure I ever quite got the point of Season 2.

I may pass completely on a season 3.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello boring-ass story telling.

Eh, same storytelling as season 1, but without all the plagiarism. :)

But let's not get distracted from my swipe at Hank!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly haven't cared enough to watch the finale yet. Maybe I'll do it this weekend. I'm hoping if I re-watch the season it will seem better but I have to say season 2 was pretty disappointing. It doesn't hold a candle to season 1.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly haven't cared enough to watch the finale yet. Maybe I'll do it this weekend. I'm hoping if I re-watch the season it will seem better but I have to say season 2 was pretty disappointing. It doesn't hold a candle to season 1.

Agreed. The dialogue in season one was outstanding. Most interesting part of season two is who I'd rather fuck: Rachel McAdams or Frank's wife?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pretty much everything said here^^^

Season 1 DID fucking irritate me, that they never got to the top of the chain and showed who was really involved.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The dialogue in season one was outstanding. Most interesting part of season two is who I'd rather fuck: Rachel McAdams or Frank's wife?

This is the one thing I completely disagree. The dialogue is shitty in both actually. That's Pizzolato(spelling) main issue. He can only write 1 type of dialogue.

It happened to work for Rust Cohle and MM who sold it. But the words were still trash. Grew tiresome by episode 6. And S2 was just flat out corny.

That's one thing that must improve for S3. Creativity of dialogue.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty much everything said here^^^

Season 1 DID fucking irritate me, that they never got to the top of the chain and showed who was really involved.
That did kind of bother me at first but then after thinking about it for a little while it kind of seems more realistic. A group of anonymous but heavily influential people are not generally going to all be caught. The only guy who could have named and outed them was killed in the finale. Errol's girlfriend probably had some information but it probably wouldn't have gone very far.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detective Bezzeride's sister over both of them.