• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

True Detective

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the characters in this but this is definitely a slow burn

Seems to take a twist every episode so far. I like the fact he is going through the mental torture of his life coming back at him. Makes him seem so real. Also like the way he plays off his son. Great character and he is perfect for the job.

I like the way they are playing the 1980, then 1990 and then 2015 off each other. Better than about any time jumping show I have ever seen.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first episode was great and had me looking forward to the rest. But I watched the 2nd one last night and I thought it really got bogged down in the developing love story with his future wife. I don't mind 'slow burn' as long as what they're burning is moving the core story forward. The woman who plays his wife is fine but I just don't need all of that backstory of them falling in love. I'll watch #3 tonight but if it's more of the same I may bail.

I think his wife is more about HIS character development than about hers.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I likedfirst episode. It reminded me of the first season. The last 2 episodes sucked imo. It’s slow motion with literally nothing happening. I get they are going for the slow burn but Jesus Christ something happen

First season it took 6 episodes before something happened. (maybe 5)

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to take a twist every episode so far. I like the fact he is going through the mental torture of his life coming back at him. Makes him seem so real. Also like the way he plays off his son. Great character and he is perfect for the job.

I like the way they are playing the 1980, then 1990 and then 2015 off each other. Better than about any time jumping show I have ever seen.
The scene in his house with the Vietcong standing behind him was intense. Very well done.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm still watching. Its good. I have a few theories and my wife seems to think she has most of it figured out. I'm enjoying all of the actors and the attention to detail and the small trail of breadcrumbs that the show slowly feeds you. The next episode will likely make or break this season. The 1990 plotline is the thread thats going to pull everything together and give us the details we need to finish the 2015 plotline.

Season 1 peaked in episode 4 and 5 and then was only decent at the end. Season 3 still seems to be building.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good season so far

I'm thinking
Tom Purcell is not the real father of Julie and that she's been taken by the one-eyed black man who works for the chicken plant owner (real father)

I believe Roland and Hays killed detective Harris James in 1990 and this is the coverup they were speaking of as old men, even though Purple Haze can't remember

thoughts so far?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good season so far

I'm thinking
Tom Purcell is not the real father of Julie and that she's been taken by the one-eyed black man who works for the chicken plant owner (real father)

I believe Roland and Hays killed detective Harris James in 1990 and this is the coverup they were speaking of as old men, even though Purple Haze can't remember

thoughts so far?

I think it is the wife... He is definitely right that she uses people for stories... But does she create them too??

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure, but it is leading that way...
Personally I haven’t seen that connection. RewTched the first 3 episodes today and it doesn’t add up that she’d go talk to those Oklahoman cops if she was involved in the crime

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is the wife... He is definitely right that she uses people for stories... But does she create them too??

Nah, that's too cheap for a show like TD, IMO. This theory reminds me of the "Marty is the Yellow King" proclamations during season 1.

However, I will give my first criticism of the season - the storyline of their marriage is getting to be redundant. In fact, if we don't turn a corner here soon? This whole thing is getting circular. The show is wonderfully acted and has some truly great moments. However, I cannot help but feel like (as viewers) that we go around in circles only to continue winding up in the same damn place.

Episode 6 is where Season 1 started to make it's turn into the home stretch. Let's hope the same happens here. However, the garbage man's home shootout from episode 5 of this season surely ain't matching up to the dope house shootout of episode 5, season 1. I had my hopes up this could come close to the McConaughey/Harrelson show... and I think those have faded for me.

This could still wind up being really good TV, though. We'll just have to see where it goes. This is a rather critical episode this weekend, IMO. They need the wheels to get moving.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I haven’t seen that connection. RewTched the first 3 episodes today and it doesn’t add up that she’d go talk to those Oklahoman cops if she was involved in the crime

i just think, even when she was ONLY a teacher she was too much into the case... asking questions that she shouldn't have... and it couldn't just be to HELP or impress the future husband... their relationship was too new...

and then the obsession with the case as a writer??? if your that obsessed, you had to do something fishy somewhere...

and i think there might be a connection with their daughter... they are making too much of a point of the daughter not being in town... and it can't JUST be because of the memory loss...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just think, even when she was ONLY a teacher she was too much into the case... asking questions that she shouldn't have... and it couldn't just be to HELP or impress the future husband... their relationship was too new...

and then the obsession with the case as a writer??? if your that obsessed, you had to do something fishy somewhere...

and i think there might be a connection with their daughter... they are making too much of a point of the daughter not being in town... and it can't JUST be because of the memory loss...

What I took from that moment where his son was adamant about the daughter not being able to visit? Is that she's dead and they don't want to burden him with a reminder. As he's likely already forgotten a multitude of times and it just isn't worth the pain it causes him/them to go back over it. I didn't take that as being apart of the case.

At the very least, they had some brutal falling out.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I took from that moment where his son was adamant about the daughter not being able to visit? Is that she's dead and they don't want to burden him with a reminder. As he's likely already forgotten a multitude of times and it just isn't worth the pain it causes him/them to go back over it. I didn't take that as being apart of the case.

At the very least, they had some brutal falling out.

well, of course i am not saying the daughter is guilty, she was born after the case... I don't think she is just dead, something happened significant to the story... and i am going to assume the wife is the reason for her disappearance or death...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, of course i am not saying the daughter is guilty, she was born after the case... I don't think she is just dead, something happened significant to the story... and i am going to assume the wife is the reason for her disappearance or death...

That's fair. I mean, it's obvious that the topic will be revisited soon. I get the feeling this next episode might have to do with that. It seems he's going deep into his past and we're about due for that storyline to resurface.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good season so far

I'm thinking

thoughts so far?
Its going to go back to the town church at some point, if I had to guess. My assumption is that the detectives kill the Uncle in Missouri as the 90s cover up because they think he drilled the hole in the closet and was involved in the kidnapping. But the real conspiracy involves local people, the church, and the evidence technician who disposed of evidence and planted the backpack.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, I will give my first criticism of the season - the storyline of their marriage is getting to be redundant. In fact, if we don't turn a corner here soon? This whole thing is getting circular. The show is wonderfully acted and has some truly great moments. However, I cannot help but feel like (as viewers) that we go around in circles only to continue winding up in the same damn place.
The marriage does feel like padding and character bloat. Its clearly the weakest part of Season 3 and its going to need some serious pay off to justify the amount of screen time.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only think I remember about season two is that I really want to fuck Rachel McAdams.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only think I remember about season two is that I really want to fuck Rachel McAdams.

The only thing I remember this side of the millennium is that I really want to fuck Rachel McAdams...

I should probably quit drinking