• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tru Johnson Tagged

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably were going to put the Tag on Johnson from the start, that's why you then negotiate with Jenkins, and if it doesn't work, you say bye bye, now do you see?

No I don't. If you think a player is better you want him signed long term. Not pissed off with the franchise tag.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Johnson is the type to get PO'ed, especially when he is set to make 14M this next season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Jenkins turned downed the Rams offer, he and his super agent have received no credible offers. This ought to get interesting.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smed is exactly right, Coug, you have it wrong, just think out of the box. A team has one franchise tag (1). If the Rams offer Jenkins the deal and he signs, they just tag Johnson anyway and it takes 2 #1s to get him away from the Rams while they talk long term. Jenkins doesn't take the deal and the Rams tag Johnson as they would have anyway. If by your thoughts, after Jenkins turns down the deal, they just tag Jenkins, even if he is pissed. Johnson was the mark from day one and should be.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smed is exactly right, Coug, you have it wrong, just think out of the box. A team has one franchise tag (1). If the Rams offer Jenkins the deal and he signs, they just tag Johnson anyway and it takes 2 #1s to get him away from the Rams while they talk long term. Jenkins doesn't take the deal and the Rams tag Johnson as they would have anyway. If by your thoughts, after Jenkins turns down the deal, they just tag Jenkins, even if he is pissed. Johnson was the mark from day one and should be.

Right...On...The...Money...:suds:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jenkins would have been pissed and probably wouldn't have signed. and I don't think you want a pissed off CB out on the field playing for you. It would have been a mess. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PAY JOHNSON 14M A YEAR?? Jesus thats more then bradford was making. Like i said when the deal went bad with Jenkins they had no choice but to franchise Johnson because they were at the deadline and would have lost both of them to FA. its just a good thing we had cap room or they wouldn't have been able to do it. still eats a ton of Cap room.

Last edited:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Jenkins turned downed the Rams offer, he and his super agent have received no credible offers. This ought to get interesting.

they have to wait 5 days after you fire your agent to talk to teams i believe.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins would have been pissed and probably wouldn't have signed. and I don't think you want a pissed off CB out on the field playing for you. It would have been a mess. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PAY JOHNSON 14M A YEAR?? Jesus thats more then bradford was making. Like i said when the deal went bad with Jenkins they had no choice but to franchise Johnson because they were at the deadline and would have lost both of them to FA. its just a good thing we had cap room or they wouldn't have been able to do it. still eats a ton of Cap room.

Even though Johnson is franchised they have until July 15th to work on a long term deal.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though Johnson is franchised they have until July 15th to work on a long term deal.

Hopefully they will get something done. but it usually doesn't happen. They will have to make it a sweet deal for sure.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why you bring up Bradford in the conversation is beyond me Coug. One doesn't match the other. If you really want to talk Bradford, we have a thread for him but as long as you brought him up, Johnson is more valuable long term for the Rams than Bradford is for anyone. Jenkins is and will be a shadow of what ability Johnson COULD be. No one know what happens long term in the NFL, injuries and such but Bradford was drafted by the Rams and gave them one year of pretty good QB work, his rookie year. After that he was hurt. The Rams game him everything and the results he gave them and me for that matter was a very sour taste. So like I said, I don't care if Sammy gets paid by Philly or whomever, just not the Rams, we gave him his money for life already. So Please, this is the Johnson Tagged thread, put the other guy in the thread where we can discuss him and we can reference where he took the Rams in his 4 years. We can discuss the difference between Jenkins and Johnson here although I haven't seen many on your side in that argument either. Just saying.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know enough about it, but wouldn't that be tampering or something like that prior to the start of league year?

Post edit: Here it is...

Clubs are further advised that prior to the beginning of the new League Year it is impermissible for a club to enter into an agreement of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent or understandings of any kind concerning the terms or conditions of employment offered to, or to be offered to, any prospective Unrestricted Free Agent for inclusion in a Player Contract after the start of the new League Year. Any announcement of an agreement or an agreement in principle by a club or another party, including, but not limited to, a certified agent, player, or media organization may subject the club to a tampering investigation.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, talking to other teams can start Monday.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't. If you think a player is better you want him signed long term. Not pissed off with the franchise tag.

I could have bet money that you wouldn't see it, you wear blinders on lots of subjects and just refuse to look reality in the eye!

It's just funny that you have so many disagreements from so many people, and you always seem to be in the minority? I do seem to agree with you on some subjects, the ones where you don't constantly harp on the same thing over and over and over and over and over

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could have bet money that you wouldn't see it, you wear blinders on lots of subjects and just refuse to look reality in the eye!

It's just funny that you have so many disagreements from so many people, and you always seem to be in the minority? I do seem to agree with you on some subjects, the ones where you don't constantly harp on the same thing over and over and over and over and over

Please explain why if the Rams wanted Johnson more then Jenks why were they trying to work out a 5 year deal with Jenks not Johnson?? Only when talks broke down and they were up against the deadline they Franchised Johnson so they wouldn't lose both players. 14m for Johnson is not idea! and why you think that was the master plan is beyond me. It's Not me with the blinders on. Now they will have to over pay for Johnson to sign him long term which he might not do.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why you bring up Bradford in the conversation is beyond me Coug. One doesn't match the other. If you really want to talk Bradford, we have a thread for him but as long as you brought him up, Johnson is more valuable long term for the Rams than Bradford is for anyone. Jenkins is and will be a shadow of what ability Johnson COULD be. No one know what happens long term in the NFL, injuries and such but Bradford was drafted by the Rams and gave them one year of pretty good QB work, his rookie year. After that he was hurt. The Rams game him everything and the results he gave them and me for that matter was a very sour taste. So like I said, I don't care if Sammy gets paid by Philly or whomever, just not the Rams, we gave him his money for life already. So Please, this is the Johnson Tagged thread, put the other guy in the thread where we can discuss him and we can reference where he took the Rams in his 4 years. We can discuss the difference between Jenkins and Johnson here although I haven't seen many on your side in that argument either. Just saying.

I agree but I just find it funny everyone is delighted to pay Johnson who had one good year 14m when all the crying you guys did paying a QB 13m. And a CB will never be as important as a QB who touches the ball every play.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this clears up the issue...

NFL teams have one more day to apply franchise tags or transition tags on their prospective free agents. Here’s everything you need to know about a somewhat complex issue.

So why does the franchise tag exist?
In theory, it’s to allow the smaller-market teams to compete with the big-market teams by letting them lock up their prospective free agents beyond the original time frame of their contracts. Usually the franchise tag is reserved for a team’s top pending free agent.

How many franchise tags do teams get?
Just one per offseason. The deadline to do so this year is March 1.

Do the players like it?
Probably not, as the teams have all the leverage. For one, a franchise-tagged player’s salary is guaranteed for only that season. If that player suffers an injury or underperforms during a franchise-tag year, it will negatively affect his value on the free agent market. For another, the franchise-tag year forces players to delay a big free-agent payday by one season, one in which they almost certainly could have received more money in the open market.

There are three types of tags. Explain them.

• An exclusive franchise tag means a team will pay that player no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player’s position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous salary, whichever is greater. The player is not allowed to negotiate with other teams.
  • A non-exclusive franchise tag involves the same salary offer as an exclusive franchise tag, only the player can negotiate with other teams. The player’s current team can match any offer sheet. If the old team declines to match the offer, it gets two first-round picks from the other team as compensation. This is the more commonly used franchise tag.
  • By applying the transition tag, a team offers the player a salary that is the average of the top 10 salaries at his position. That player can negotiate with other teams. The player’s original team has the right of first refusal to match any offer given to a transition-tagged player by another team. If the original team decides to retain the player, it must agree to the contract terms offered by the other team. If the original team decides not to match the offer and the player leaves, it receives nothing in compensation. A team can use the transition tag only if it hasn’t used the franchise tag in a given offseason.
The NFL released salary numbers for franchise- and transition-tagged players on Monday.

Can a player be given the franchise tag in consecutive years?
Yes, but it’s a costly move for teams. For a player to be given the tag in two straight years, a team has to pay him 120 percent of his previous salary. If a team wants to franchise a player in three straight years, it would have to pay him 144 percent of his previous salary.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly think both Tru and Jenk are overvalued with the edge rushers we have, and the Williams barrage of blitz packages he sends all game.

Sure there on an island at time but not for very long with our pass rush.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they will have to over pay for Johnson to sign him long term which he might not do.
Maybe, but it's a prove it deal for the Rams.

Tru had a great season last year, but he needs play up to that same level to get the 'over payment', which in reality just means it's not an over payment but a fair market value payment for long term services.

Should injury or under performance hit, than they can get him on the cheap.

You know the Rams, ever willing to sign the injured or under performed to long term deals.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but it's a prove it deal for the Rams.

Tru had a great season last year, but he needs play up to that same level to get the 'over payment', which in reality just means it's not an over payment but a fair market value payment for long term services.

Should injury or under performance hit, than they can get him on the cheap.

You know the Rams, ever willing to sign the injured or under performed to long term deals.

But with the Franchise tag slapped on him Johnson has a lot of leverage now. The Rams will have to come up with a very good deal (I don't think a prove it deal) for him not to just take the 14m and be a FA next year. Don't you think? 14m is top 5 CB money. I have nothing against Johnson I think he's a good corner I just don't think the Rams planed on franchising him. I think Jenkins screwed the Rams by blowing up like he did at the deadline and forced the Rams hand.

Last edited:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams will have to come up with a very good deal (I don't think a prove it deal) for him not to just take the 14m and be a FA next year. Don't you think? 14m is top 5 CB money.
It depends on how he performs in 2016 Coug, if he plays well under a top 5 CB or gets injured, no way. If he does, than he earned that big contract. Pretty simple math.
I think Jenkins screwed the Rams by blowing up like he did at the deadline and forced the Rams hand.
Now he said all along that he was going to test with waters unless he was tagged.

He just stuck to his guns and didn't bite on the 5 year deal the Rams offered.

I don't blame him to be honest, let him find his value. He has played since he entered the NFL for peanuts compared to his peers getting their first real deal. And how knows, this could be his last big time contract. It's what I would do. Except I would be an ass about it. LOL