• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Travel Tips

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howdy!

I'm going to be visiting your city and ballpark for the series in early August. I'm contemplating staying close to Fenway but curious if that is a good area to stay in? Do you have any recommendations on the area of town I should stay in? I'm thinking public transportation is good enough there that I won't need a car to get around, so any areas I should look at ideally would have walking distance to public transport that gets me right to the stadium....

TIA for any advice/tips!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be prepared to be disappointed by Fenway. You're going to say the same thing I did.

"This is it???" :wtf:

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be prepared to be disappointed by Fenway. You're going to say the same thing I did.

Yeah, I'm spoiled by all the new parks and fan experience they provide.....I'm expecting an old stadium with old facilities, but with a great fan atmosphere to help it out.....Wrigley field is also old and run down, but quality folks in the lovable loser Cub fans......Dodger stadium was old and worn down and full of Dodger fans.....yuck!!!!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm spoiled by all the new parks and fan experience they provide.....I'm expecting an old stadium with old facilities, but with a great fan atmosphere to help it out.....Wrigley field is also old and run down, but quality folks in the lovable loser Cub fans......Dodger stadium was old and worn down and full of Dodger fans.....yuck!!!!

The Friendly Confines and Dodger are 1,000,000x better in every way than Fenway, espeically Wrigley. Wrigley is baseball heaven and Fenway is baseball's butthole.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i loved fenway when i went.......also i think you will be fine walking everywhere

i never took a cab,bus ...nothing, it is all pretty close

walked the freedom trail,strolled around downtown,walked up to the garden

when you get tired just stop in a bar/eatery and chill on your stroll :thumb:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Friendly Confines and Dodger are 1,000,000x better in every way than Fenway, espeically Wrigley. Wrigley is baseball heaven and Fenway is baseball's butthole.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Fenway is a national treasure. We have something the Padres don't have.....A winning team!
Still upset about the butt kicking the Padres got, Hammer?

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The public transportation system in Boston is very good. For future reference
it's legal name is "Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority", but it's usually
referred to as "The MBTA" or just "The T"

The signs at the stations are marked with signs that have blocky black "T"s against a circular green background.

The "T" will take you within walking distance of almost any place of interest in Boston proper or Cambridge. And many, though a smaller percentage, of the places in more distant suburbs.

Learning how to get where can take a while, but it's worth the effort and saves the need to find parking spaces. THAT can be nightmarishly difficult in the parts of Boston I'm familiar with.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
______________________________________________________________________________________

Fenway is a national treasure. We have something the Padres don't have.....A winning team!
Still upset about the butt kicking the Padres got, Hammer?
Fenway really isn't that bad, but does have
a higher than usual percentage of obstructed view seats.

The Grandstands and Bleachers have the best views
of any of the seats I could ever afford. The "Monster Seats", above
the LF wall (AKA "The Green Monster") were added
only recently and are far beyond most people's
price ranges, mine included.

In your travels around town you'll probably see many "Dunkin' Donuts" locations.
They sell a lot more than just donuts, though they don't pretend to be full-scale
restaurants. And their prices are much more reasonable than most Boston eateries.
Spacious they're not, but definitely worth checking out.

Enjoy your trip!

Jackbrit2

Jackbrit2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have never known anyone to be disappointed in Fenway. One of the last original fields left that is not cookie cutter style and has more tradition that 95% of the parks.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never known anyone to be disappointed in Fenway. One of the last original fields left that is not cookie cutter style and has more tradition that 95% of the parks.
You must not know many people who's first experience of Fenway involved sitting
in one of the many seats with pillars directly in front of them.

There are also many other seats where you can only see parts of the playing field.

In the bleachers it's the CF triangle you can't see, and in most of the 3d base side seats
the LF foul line. At one time or another when I could actually afford tickets I sat in a lot
of both kinds.

Overall it's got more pluses than minuses, but some of the minuses are glaring.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fenway really isn't that bad, but does have
a higher than usual percentage of obstructed view seats.

The Grandstands and Bleachers have the best views
of any of the seats I could ever afford. The "Monster Seats", above
the LF wall (AKA "The Green Monster") were added
only recently and are far beyond most people's
price ranges, mine included.

In your travels around town you'll probably see many "Dunkin' Donuts" locations.
They sell a lot more than just donuts, though they don't pretend to be full-scale
restaurants. And their prices are much more reasonable than most Boston eateries.
Spacious they're not, but definitely worth checking out.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you, sir!

I really should of been checking up on this thread.....I'm getting anxious.....have some touristy Boston things I want to do as I'm coming in Tuesday late afternoon, so I have a couple days to visit the city before the baseball series.....I better not have to worry about obstructed view seats.....:D