• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Thread

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, I’m actually interested in the defense

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off to camp today! Anything you want me to look at closely?
A couple players I’d like to her about:
On D, how is Baron Browning looking with his transition to OLB?
On O, with Patrick out, I’d be interested if Seth Williams shows potential.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out the boomer rookie punter; Muti's play and Calvin Anderson at RT

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sure you would be better at it than me, but when I’ve attended camps, I’ve ways had a hard time telling who on the line is doing better than others. Seems a lot easier to tell about RBs, WRs, and DBs since they are spread out and not confined to a small space and group of huge men.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And #89 Brandon Johnson WR

Congrats on POTM!!

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, this isn’t going to be a live update?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who looked better #80 or #85

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey sorry guys. I took my son to camp and he and I have been trying to squeeze in as much fun as possible for a quick 2-day trip.

Here is what I saw...

Rookies:

Mathis looks like the real deal. The two padded practices so far this training camp have been some of his best work and at the one I was at he was everywhere. Had a huge interception where he set up Rypien playing a bit of a trail position on a deep out and then jumped the pass for a big INT on the sideline. Had another big pass break up later and just looked like he belonged in the NFL.

Washington is going to be used in this offense a decent amount with Tim Patrick especially gone now. He and Wilson have a pretty good connection.

None of the other rookies really stood out. DTY made a couple of decent plays, but nothing too crazy. Bonitto the only play I noticed him on was a bad one where he didn't see the pulling guard coming right at him and got thrown about 5 yards. The other that stood out was Borghi at RB. They were doing a drill right in front of us where they were working on hand placement and explosion in blocking. He popped Gordon really hard and Gordon got a little heated that the rookie was going so hard in a teaching drill. Henningsen I saw get some pressure against the 3rd unit once but was a bit disappointed as he kind of quit pursuit. Could have been he didn't want to get too close to the QB but I thought he still had some room to roam.

The punter competition is real. Waitman probably has some of the best punts I've ever seen. Incredible hang time, plenty of distance, can corner them just right. Problem is about every 4th one seems to be a shank. Watched him put 3 perfectly in the corner and would have been inside the 10. Then bounced the next one off the tower that is about at the 20 yard line and 15 yards from the field. Martin doesn't have the best punts, but you know what you are getting every time. So just depends if you want an incredible weapon that is going to hurt you every once in a while or the consistent but not great option of Martin.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's--I know this will be what everyone wants to hear about. Wilson looked good. During a Red Zone drill I think he only had one errant pass and another that he had to throw away. Otherwise they were going for 1st downs or TD's. Had one dropped by Beck where he was wide open with no one within 5 yards of him.

The other QB's were not great. Johnson had one really really pretty deep pass but otherwise did nothing of good reporting. Rypien had the bad INT and just never seemed to get on the right page.

RB's--Not what everyone will want to hear but Gordon is the best RB on this team for this system right now. He sees the holes well and had some really nice runs. Williams just keeps either hesitating or running right into the line. Williams is the better pass blocker of the two, but from a pure running stand point right now Gordon should be the starter week 1.

WR--Sutton had a nice day with some tough catches. Jeudy looked good getting open probably the most consistently. No other WR's really stuck out. Those gunning to step in for Patrick didn't really step up like I had hoped. Now given in this practice Cleveland and Hinton were out.

OL--Seems like the Broncos have pretty much settled on who is starting. Bolles-Risner-Cushenberry-Meinerz-Anderson. Only thing that could disrupt that is Turner/Compton coming back and blowing the team away, but I don't think that will happen. Still hearing a lot of rumors Risner could be traded. The Broncos really want Muti to step up, but there are some plays he looks lost.

TE--On the day I was there the most impactful player was the rookie Dulcich. Forgot to put him the post earlier. He honestly might be the guy that is the biggest benefactor from Patrick being gone. I could see them making him a big slot TE. He was getting open and was definitely getting plenty of targets. Albert O did nothing to write home about. Saubert had a couple of decent plays.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DL--The starters are good/great. Dre'Mont looked unblockable. He threw Anderson into the lap of Wilson on one play. DJ Jones did good in the run game. Most plays run in his direction ended in 0 yards. DeShawn Williams had a nice day as well. The rest well we just better hope there is no injuries to the starters.

Edge--I'm not joking when I saw that I think Browning could be a star in the making at the edge. He was everywhere. Did well to hold up against the run and force things back inside and had lots of bend to get around the edge. I didn't notice Bradley Chubb a whole lot, but I wasn't watching him as closely as I would have liked.

LB--Josey Jewell looks like a man on a mission. Really impressed with his quickness. Not something I thought I would write about Jewell. Griffith looks good as well. Singleton made a nice play in the run game but otherwise nothing too exciting.

CB--Surtain really is the real deal. The Broncos are designing this defense like the 2020 Rams. Leave Surtain on an island trusting he is going to shut his guy down and then use the extra help either to get pressure or help in coverage. They are letting the LB's stay more in a zone coverage and read what is happening in front of them. If Surtain goes down this defense is going to struggle. I can't imagine the adjustments they are going to have to make. He is easily the 2nd most important player on this roster behind Wilson.

Safeties--Locke looked pretty good but got hurt at the end of practice. Jackson didn't practice and neither did Sterns so not much to write about this group.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the update, Carl.

It was fun to finally get to see Russ and the team in person. I kept wanting instant replay though because trying to watch everything means you pretty much miss everything. Took me about 30 minutes to finally just start focusing in on a certain position group.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fun to finally get to see Russ and the team in person. I kept wanting instant replay though because trying to watch everything means you pretty much miss everything. Took me about 30 minutes to finally just start focusing in on a certain position group.
Much appreciated Carl - thanks for taking the time to share your observations.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey sorry guys. I took my son to camp and he and I have been trying to squeeze in as much fun as possible for a quick 2-day trip.

Here is what I saw...

Rookies:

Mathis looks like the real deal. The two padded practices so far this training camp have been some of his best work and at the one I was at he was everywhere. Had a huge interception where he set up Rypien playing a bit of a trail position on a deep out and then jumped the pass for a big INT on the sideline. Had another big pass break up later and just looked like he belonged in the NFL.

Washington is going to be used in this offense a decent amount with Tim Patrick especially gone now. He and Wilson have a pretty good connection.

None of the other rookies really stood out. DTY made a couple of decent plays, but nothing too crazy. Bonitto the only play I noticed him on was a bad one where he didn't see the pulling guard coming right at him and got thrown about 5 yards. The other that stood out was Borghi at RB. They were doing a drill right in front of us where they were working on hand placement and explosion in blocking. He popped Gordon really hard and Gordon got a little heated that the rookie was going so hard in a teaching drill. Henningsen I saw get some pressure against the 3rd unit once but was a bit disappointed as he kind of quit pursuit. Could have been he didn't want to get too close to the QB but I thought he still had some room to roam.

The punter competition is real. Waitman probably has some of the best punts I've ever seen. Incredible hang time, plenty of distance, can corner them just right. Problem is about every 4th one seems to be a shank. Watched him put 3 perfectly in the corner and would have been inside the 10. Then bounced the next one off the tower that is about at the 20 yard line and 15 yards from the field. Martin doesn't have the best punts, but you know what you are getting every time. So just depends if you want an incredible weapon that is going to hurt you every once in a while or the consistent but not great option of Martin.
thanks for the update CD

is Mathis #27?
i saw a #27 INT . it was a diving INT. hell of a play by the rookie. what a way to impress everyone.

i consider Bonitto basically a 3rd round project. behind the scenes i think Warroom G tried to trade back but no takers

will make the roster but needs a year to bulk up to around 250

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for the update CD

is Mathis #27?
i saw a #27 INT . it was a diving INT. hell of a play by the rookie. what a way to impress everyone.

i consider Bonitto basically a 3rd round project. behind the scenes i think Warroom G tried to trade back but no takers

will make the roster but needs a year to bulk up to around 250

Yeah he is #27 and yeah the highlight is I think on the Bronco website or official twitter page. It was a heck of a play and as I said it wasn't his only one. The physical practices where they let him do some press coverage he has really shined. Talked to someone earlier about him who has some connections and they said the Broncos are really looking hard at him to maybe split some reps with Williams in the slot this season. Williams if healthy will be the starter, but they definitely want to get the rookie on the field.

Also with the War room episode you are right they were looking to trade out of that spot. Tried really hard to trade up, but just couldn't quite get it done. The Broncos really loved Jurgens for the Center spot and thought he would be perfect for this scheme. They also really liked Cam Taylor-Britt. Something about those Nebraska boys. Drake Jackson is the other name I heard talked about a lot. Some on the team were not exactly excited by the Bonitto pick. No one was completely against it, just that was the point in the board where coaches/FO people started separating on who they liked. Evero was pounding the table for Mathis at that point so I'm glad he got his wish later on and so far is being proven to possibly be right on him.