• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp '12

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Twice since camp started, I have read that Dobbs has been splitting time between practicing with the offense and defense. I didn't think it was an even split, but Maiocco said today that it's 50-50, alternating after each practice. Is that surprising to anyone else? I guess they're more serious about his potential role at TE than I thought (if they're delegating HALF his practices to it). Could save a roster spot if no other player impresses beyond Vernon and Delanie?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twice since camp started, I have read that Dobbs has been splitting time between practicing with the offense and defense. I didn't think it was an even split, but Maiocco said today that it's 50-50, alternating after each practice. Is that surprising to anyone else? I guess they're more serious about his potential role at TE than I thought (if they're delegating HALF his practices to it). Could save a roster spot if no other player impresses beyond Vernon and Delanie?

Makes perfect sense to me. In our offense Harbaugh makes good use of H-Backs and Dobbs will/would be an excellent H-Back.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"His conditioning is tip top." - Really? AJ Jenkins has even said he's not in good shape. Harbaugh loves defending his guys. I don't believe him for shit, but It's nice to see that we finally have a coach who sticks up for the players.

To be fair, has he said that recently? OTA's were a while ago.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mistake me as saying the sky is falling, but uhm... it kinda sucks to keep reading about Smith throwing high balls. The one to Dobbs today, and the one yesterday where he sailed it over manningham's head when he was wide open down the sideline.

I'm gonna be like... screw you USC pitching coach, why you no fix Alex but you fix Brees and Brady. Jerk! :)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mistake me as saying the sky is falling, but uhm... it kinda sucks to keep reading about Smith throwing high balls. The one to Dobbs today, and the one yesterday where he sailed it over manningham's head when he was wide open down the sideline.

I'm gonna be like... screw you USC pitching coach, why you no fix Alex but you fix Brees and Brady. Jerk! :)

That's ok, we've got:

Willis Bowman.jpg

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
what happened to that UDFA.. chris owusu? he had good write-ups about him during OTAs and then nothing since training camp started. i've heard great things about him.. and his combination of size and speed can be deadly. yes, the injury history is worrisome, but concussions are like that. anyone have anything to add .. is he even with this team at this point?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not Gregg's most insightful or best effort - Clearly a deadline piece - that was easily on time! Haha.

"Father Time will remain undefeated" - Gregg, plenty 35+'s have had excellent - even pro-bowl seasons. About the only thing Gregg got right was that we have plenty of contingencies in the event he is correct.

Some of the lowlights of the article and my thoughts:

I left Michael Crabtree out of this mix because he should be locked into a starting gig. He may have his first useful training camp if he can stay healthy.

Locked? This sentiment made sense in '09 and even in '10 but after last season's mixed results with the poorest result coming when the stage was the biggest, the lights the brightest and his team needed him most should put Crabtree squarely in a battle for playing time with Manningham, Williams, Ginn and even Jenkins.

• Manningham is likely to be the slot receiver, but he should be a superior player to Moss at this stage of their careers. It shouldn't be a shock if Manningham passes Moss.

Manningham is better outside than inside the #'s - and he is definitely better at beating press and M2M coverage than Crabtree. Clearly we will begin the season with Moss as one of our two starting WR's.

And while I would not be shocked to see a Manningham/Crabtree one-two, I think it is equally as possible and perhaps would be even better to see a Moss/Manningham one-two combination, or even a Moss/Williams one-two.

In any case, this whole "Crabtree is/should be locked into a starting role" sentiment just needs to stop. WR's of Crabtree's caliber are released into FA or just released outright every year.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't mind the critics, after almost 10 years in the basement the 49ers deserve them... but it seems like every thing I read from this guy he is pretty much trying to downplay the 49ers as a good team. I get the feeling from his language that anything positive about the 49ers annoys him. For instance saying that the beat writers are incessantly talking up Moss.