• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp '12

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Twice since camp started, I have read that Dobbs has been splitting time between practicing with the offense and defense. I didn't think it was an even split, but Maiocco said today that it's 50-50, alternating after each practice. Is that surprising to anyone else? I guess they're more serious about his potential role at TE than I thought (if they're delegating HALF his practices to it). Could save a roster spot if no other player impresses beyond Vernon and Delanie?

3rd TE on the team is mainly the blocking TE so I think they feel if they can develop Dobbs in that spot they can save a roster spot by not having a guy dedicated to doing it.

Dobbs is clearly not going to start ahead of anyone and he's behind RJF as a backup so instead of him wasting away on the bench you could use him for a few offensive snaps in the game and if one of our DL gets injured you can focus him back onto the DL.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Don't mistake me as saying the sky is falling, but uhm... it kinda sucks to keep reading about Smith throwing high balls. The one to Dobbs today, and the one yesterday where he sailed it over manningham's head when he was wide open down the sideline.

I'm gonna be like... screw you USC pitching coach, why you no fix Alex but you fix Brees and Brady. Jerk! :)

I think even the top guys throw a lot more bad passes in practice than people think so I don't think Alex missing on some guys to be that big of a deal.

Also have to consider the mechanical fixes are still going to require reps for it to be committed to muscle memory.

I feel it's better to wait till the preseason games start to see if it's the same ole Alex or if he has improved his accuracy.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
3rd TE on the team is mainly the blocking TE so I think they feel if they can develop Dobbs in that spot they can save a roster spot by not having a guy dedicated to doing it.

I'm etremely glad they're using him like this. I thought the Niners could use a blocking TE. Justin Smith lined up as a blocking TE on one play I remember last year, and it was embarrassing. Dude needs to stick to defense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm etremely glad they're using him like this. I thought the Niners could use a blocking TE. Justin Smith lined up as a blocking TE on one play I remember last year, and it was embarrassing. Dude needs to stick to defense.

on the one hand using players in combo makes sense, but on the other it makes you wonder just how good they are?

for EXAMPLE, say the Coaches felt Dobbs is a solid starter in the making, that he'd replace Justin or Macdonald SHORTLY. not only replace but be a solid replacement, wouldn't they be focusing him on DE only?

if you're going to teach him a few plays, then its ok, but "every other day" on offense doesn't seem like few?

not complaining so much as wondering on the extent of it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
for EXAMPLE, say the Coaches felt Dobbs is a solid starter in the making, that he'd replace Justin or Macdonald SHORTLY. not only replace but be a solid replacement, wouldn't they be focusing him on DE only?

I don't think anyone confuses Dobbs with a solid starter in the making. He's a backup for a reason. He's perfect to learn a little TE IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think anyone confuses Dobbs with a solid starter in the making. He's a backup for a reason. He's perfect to learn a little TE IMO.

well there has been a lot of high hopes on Dobbs....since last pre-season. maybe not solid starter (it was an example), but high hopes nevertheless.

the point being it can be taken both ways....he's being versatile but also not good in the original spot. again, if they did it for a few plays fine, but we're reading 'every other day'.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well there has been a lot of high hopes on Dobbs....since last pre-season. maybe not solid starter (it was an example), but high hopes nevertheless.

the point being it can be taken both ways....he's being versatile but also not good in the original spot. again, if they did it for a few plays fine, but we're reading 'every other day'.

Dobbs is a classic tweener - Although nobody knows for sure just how tall he is, he has played TE, DT and I believe some DE as well. As for the rest of his profile he projects to have the size and speed to play OLB/DE; or, in today's NFL even TE (If he is actually 6'6" then he matches up with Ballard & Gronk).

Last August he impressed enough to go from being an UDFA to making our 46, so obviously we have a very talented player and we have him cheaply. We know he is good enough to be a back-up (and perhaps even a starting) DT. But, he also has the speed, skills and experience to play TE as well .

So what our coaches are doing is tantamount to inexpensive discovery. What if he is an even better TE? What if he is good enough to replace Walker when his (Walker's) contract expires after this season? How do we discover this without giving him ample opportunity to demonstrate this talent?

Thus, don't fear the split time - embrace it. It is exactly what you your coaches to do with a player like D.Dobbs and our coaches are doing it. I, for one, very much look forward to seeing him line-up at the HBk or in TE position this August.