• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading for a Goalie

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Devils trade for a young goalie for the future. Toronto would be a great trading partner as Lou has a solid rapport with Brian Burke and the Leafs have a few solid young goalies. That kid they called up (James Reimer ) has been impressive and maybe they make Jonas Gustavsson available? Love his nickname, "The Monster". As many of you have already stated, we don't have much depth at the position in terms of guys who seem ready. I'd rather the team trade for a guy with some experience than have to throw one of our young goalies into a no win situation.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Devils trade for a young goalie for the future. Toronto would be a great trading partner as Lou has a solid rapport with Brian Burke and the Leafs have a few solid young goalies. That kid they called up (James Reimer ) has been impressive and maybe they make Jonas Gustavsson available? Love his nickname, "The Monster". As many of you have already stated, we don't have much depth at the position in terms of guys who seem ready. I'd rather the team trade for a guy with some experience than have to throw one of our young goalies into a no win situation.

i'm not too hot on gustavsson, for such a big guy he sure finds a lot of ways to make himself look smaller.

reimer looks nasty but i'm doubting he would become available.

i'd love to send a 2nd rounder and a minor leaguer to vancouver for schneider and see what the kids really got, but i would also like to see moose resigned for one year. lets face it, overall the guy has been the better goalie for us this year.

i also have high hopes for clermont, i really believe after seeing him that he's better than mckenna and frazee right now.

not that i'm that high on frazee

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i think moose is signed on for next year 1.5 million cap hit

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Regarding Goalies, we might as well aim high, which means the like of Bernier, Schneider, and Lindback.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually like to see them sign a solid vet (Hedberg type goalie) and have him share/split the load with a younger goalie. I'd much rather buildup the team in front of them to ease the workload. The past 3 cup winners, while the goalies played well, benefited from great teams in front of them (Niemi/Chicago, Fleury/Pitt, Osgood/Detroit). That seems to be the formula to win now.

kellmit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for them trading to get a good younger goalie, Bernier from LA comes to mind but I would pass on the Monster I just don't think he's that good

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Monster I just don't think he's that good

The Monster has the potential though. Keep in mind, he plays for the Leafs where the media pressure is huge not to mention had a couple of ailing health issues that he looks to finally have overcome.

You do know he was on fire in the Swedish elite league in his final year there especially in the playoffs. Here are the stats:

Regular Season
Season Team GP GA SA SVS SVS% GAA
2008-09 Färjestad 42 81 1181 1100 .931 1.96
2007-08 Färjestad 20 44 545 501 .919 2.39
Playoffs
Season Team GP GA SA SVS SVS% GAA
2008-09 Färjestad 13 14 357 343 .961 1.03
2007-08 Färjestad 10 31 284 253 .891 3.73

Also keep in mind he is under an excellent goalie coach in Francois Allaire, who was one of the main reasons why the Monster signed with the leafs. The Monster will get better as he adjusts to North America.
The one thing I give the Leafs credit for is that they have several good goalies in their system...the Monster, Reimer, Rynnas.

Unlike us, we have let that position slide and wonder if part of it is attributed to the norm for goalies is that they come into their prime later than players.

kellmit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I would be willing to take a chance on him but I wouldn't give up much to get him