• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading DOWN

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think like you do that the smart money would be he makes the team this year i just hope that doesn't mean someone like Richardson is lost next year because of it.
Richardson I think is a lock to make the team this year because he's still on his rookie deal so he's dirt cheap. Should also be motivated with his contract expiring after 2017. Clearly from this off-season's moves, the FO is interested in having plenty of guys on the team who are essentially auditioning for 2018 contracts.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are we all in agreement that Kearse isn't gonna be here in 2018 on his current contract, which calls for a $6.8M cap hit? If that's what the plan is, then you're either cutting him or restructuring with an extension. The more I think about it, the more it seems likely to me he's going to be a post-1 June casualty and not be in the plans for 2017. Some really cheap options on hand with McEvoy, Darboh, Moore, and even that LSU track guy they brought in for rookie camp. Lawler even got some praise over the weekend. 1 or even 2 of those are likely to make it on the strength of ST alone.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are we all in agreement that Kearse isn't gonna be here in 2018 on his current contract, which calls for a $6.8M cap hit? If that's what the plan is, then you're either cutting him or restructuring with an extension. The more I think about it, the more it seems likely to me he's going to be a post-1 June casualty and not be in the plans for 2017. Some really cheap options on hand with McEvoy, Darboh, Moore, and even that LSU track guy they brought in for rookie camp. Lawler even got some praise over the weekend. 1 or even 2 of those are likely to make it on the strength of ST alone.

IDK, but I think Kearse sticks this year. Won't surprise me if I was wrong though.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, but I think Kearse sticks this year. Won't surprise me if I was wrong though.
It's an interesting topic, and I think the WR position will have some intriguing camp battles and tough decisions for the coaching staff. Baldwin, Lockett, and Richardson are incumbent locks. I think Darboh is right behind them based on his draft position (I know not a guarantee but awfully close, especially since he's probably going to have value on ST right away). That puts Kearse on the bubble in my view.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an interesting topic, and I think the WR position will have some intriguing camp battles and tough decisions for the coaching staff. Baldwin, Lockett, and Richardson are incumbent locks. I think Darboh is right behind them based on his draft position (I know not a guarantee but awfully close, especially since he's probably going to have value on ST right away). That puts Kearse on the bubble in my view.
Five WRs seems a reasonable amount, specially considering at times they use 3 on the field and injuries that are bound to crop up.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ffs. You SPECIFICALLY pointed at drops as a criticism. Therefore I replied with his catch %.

Take a deep breath, try to sublimate your feelings for 10 seconds, and use some logic.

Even if he HADN'T sucked at catching last season, he'd still be in line to be cut after this year, because of his contract. I've said that before repeatedly.

Again though, you don't get to make up your own reality. He hasn't been a guy who dropped a lot of balls before last year.

He dropped plenty of balls, he just happened to have a career year in 2015. You cant base his future play on one year he had, the year before last none the less. He is already on a high velocity decline. 1.8m cap hit next year is NOT huge. Its worth it to get rid of him.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early to call that. Any of those guys could disappoint during PS and Kearse might look great. The fun part is watching it happen to see who makes the final roster.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early to call that. Any of those guys could disappoint during PS and Kearse might look great. The fun part is watching it happen to see who makes the final roster.
Yeah, we'll see. I still say Kearse is on the bubble given his cap number and level of performance while also considering cheaper options that can probably do a lot more on ST. An injury to someone else could easily end up saving the coaching staff from making a really tough decision on a guy they like.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its worth it to get rid of him.

I agree, and I've said that he'd get cut because of salary before, multiple times.

See what happens when you avoid the hyperbole?

The world may now spin out of its orbit...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson I think is a lock to make the team this year because he's still on his rookie deal so he's dirt cheap. Should also be motivated with his contract expiring after 2017. Clearly from this off-season's moves, the FO is interested in having plenty of guys on the team who are essentially auditioning for 2018 contracts.

Yes Richardson WILL make the team this year but is a FA next year and might feel jaded if Kearse starts ahead of him. That's what i was meaning. He may choose to go else where for a for sure starting job and of course a BIG raise.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Richardson WILL make the team this year but is a FA next year and might feel jaded if Kearse starts ahead of him. That's what i was meaning. He may choose to go else where for a for sure starting job and of course a BIG raise.

Big raise? Based on what? His limited production as a Seahawk ? Got waves of WRs entering the NFL yearly, I don't see Richardson getting a raise, unless he becomes a starting WR for a period of time and plays well somewhere.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big raise? Based on what? His limited production as a Seahawk ? Got waves of WRs entering the NFL yearly, I don't see Richardson getting a raise, unless he becomes a starting WR for a period of time and plays well somewhere.

Based off his average over the first 4 years of $740,000 roughly a year ( of course the amount paid out increased per year ) Someone will pay him 1.5 mill a year and in my eyes that is a HUGE raise. Double what he has made on averaged based over his first 4 years. So you don't think a 100% increase is a Huge raise? If i got a +$45 raise per hours that would be a HUGE raise to me.

edited for privacy reasons lol

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based off his average over the first 4 years of $740,000 roughly a year ( of course the amount paid out increased per year ) Someone will pay him 1.5 mill a year and in my eyes that is a HUGE raise. Double what he has made on averaged based over his first 4 years. So you don't think a 100% increase is a Huge raise? If i got a +$45 raise per hours that would be a HUGE raise to me.

edited for privacy reasons lol

OK, but it's not the kind of money the Seahawks would have a problem matching or exceeding.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but it's not the kind of money the Seahawks would have a problem matching or exceeding.

thats the thing, if Kearse isn't on the team Richardson will earn the raise, if Kearse is stealing time from Richardson he may not get a chance to earn that raise and with his injury history would the Hawks shell out the money? you see now what i was talking about when i said he might move on for a for sure starter job and a big pay raise?

i feel like i just made a big circle lol

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's okay Screamin' because we know you make $45/hr.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats the thing, if Kearse isn't on the team Richardson will earn the raise, if Kearse is stealing time from Richardson he may not get a chance to earn that raise and with his injury history .... you see now what i was talking about when i said he might move on for a for sure starter job and a big pay raise.

If he doesn't get a shot here, he's not going be able to move on somewhere else as a starter, that's a given. I'd like to see Kearse moved to the bench and let one of the more electric WR start. Lockett suffered a major injury last season and it remains to be seen if he is fully recovered this season and Richardson is always a injury risk, so depth is important and in running situations Kearse would be useful. No need to eat his salary.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't get a shot here, he's not going be able to move on somewhere else as a starter, that's a given. I'd like to see Kearse moved to the bench and let one of the more electric WR start. Lockett suffered a major injury last season and it remains to be seen if he is fully recovered this season and Richardson is always a injury risk, so depth is important and in running situations Kearse would be useful. No need to eat his salary.

Richardson has shown enough in his limited time to have a team take him as a #2-#3 WR, You would be crazy to not think that. The end of his rookie season he was lighting it up then got hurt, then struggled with injury bug then when he got healthy he started showing it again. He is a threat when on the field and made some crazy catches last season. We are not the only ones that have seen it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson has shown enough in his limited time to have a team take him as a #2-#3 WR, You would be crazy to not think that. The end of his rookie season he was lighting it up then got hurt, then struggled with injury bug then when he got healthy he started showing it again. He is a threat when on the field and made some crazy catches last season. We are not the only ones that have seen it.

Like what I seen him do last season, but all teams have guys like him, potentially very good with a but, in Richardson case that is the injury problem. Best case senerio for Richardson if he moves on, is he gets to compete for a W2 or W3 spot, nobody is handing that to him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The context or discussion was mostly about Kearse's risk or chances of making the team this year. I think they are in jeopardy, and one of the reasons I think that is the presence of Richardson and his cheap contract that runs out after this year (and associated motivation of playing for a 2018 payday). I think there are 4 players that have a better shot of making the team than Kearse at WR.

And with regards to next year and what will happen to Richardson, you think him getting $1.5M a year somewhere would be a "HUGE" raise? Well, 2 years ago we gave Kearse a $2.5M RFA tender. If Richardson is aptly motivated in this contract year, he should get that type of money no problem as a UFA. You're also pretty far off the mark on Richardson's first 4 year earnings -- a total of $4.7M so over the 4 years it's just under $1.2M per year. $1.5M cap hit for 2017.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A post June 1st cut for Kearse would save money this year but it would move all of his remaining bonus money cap hit to 2018. Unless we are desperate to get additional money this year it would be an unwise move.

Because of this Kearse will be on the team. Once his bonus money is secured against the cap this year (by making the opening day roster?) only then would he be fair game to be cut loose.

It only costs an additional $366,000 for him to stay with the team this year instead of cutting him. Even if he drops back to a #4 or #5 WR it is still cheaper to keep him.