• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade rumor

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's from Peter Vescey, so it is easily discounted.

He says that Monta would be leaving and Brook Lopez would be arriving as part of a Dwight Howard to New Jersey blockbuster deal.

Her (obviously) gives no specifics, so I have been trying to figure out a deal that would work for all teams involved.

I have made a lot of deals that are acceptable by the cap numbers, but none that would lead me to believe that the Magic would pull the trigger.

I think Vescey is full of shiite and that Howard is going to go to LA as part of a package with Bynum and/or Gasol.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's from Peter Vescey, so it is easily discounted.

He says that Monta would be leaving and Brook Lopez would be arriving as part of a Dwight Howard to New Jersey blockbuster deal.

Her (obviously) gives no specifics, so I have been trying to figure out a deal that would work for all teams involved.

I have made a lot of deals that are acceptable by the cap numbers, but none that would lead me to believe that the Magic would pull the trigger.

I think Vescey is full of shiite and that Howard is going to go to LA as part of a package with Bynum and/or Gasol.

If I'm the Magic, I want Bynum and I don't deal Howard unless I get him. Dwight won't leave that extra year and money on the table; the Magic can always S&T him after the season so the threat of him just walking for nothing is pretty minimal. Jerry West said as much a couple of months ago and I agree (I'm sure he's relieved). :wave::wave:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure this rumor is full of shit. I don't see a scenario where the Magic trade Howard, Brook Lopez is a piece involved, and does not go back to the Magic.

I disagree to a point with Jerry West's thinking on the Howard situation. I believe he's correct that Dwight won't leave the extra year on the table and at worst will do a sign and trade in the off season. That being said it's probably in the Magic's best interest to trade him now rather than in the off season. He'll fetch a much higher return right now than he would after the season. Dwight will be able to exactly determine where he wants to end up. Then the Magic will have to just piece together whatever the team they are trading for has available. Let's say Dwight chooses to sign with the Mavs outright, who have the cap room to sign him. The most the Magic could get back for Dwight would be a couple 1st round picks because they don't have any leverage. If they traded him right now, they would be able to get some actual talent in return for him.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty sure this rumor is full of shit. I don't see a scenario where the Magic trade Howard, Brook Lopez is a piece involved, and does not go back to the Magic.

I disagree to a point with Jerry West's thinking on the Howard situation. I believe he's correct that Dwight won't leave the extra year on the table and at worst will do a sign and trade in the off season. That being said it's probably in the Magic's best interest to trade him now rather than in the off season. He'll fetch a much higher return right now than he would after the season. Dwight will be able to exactly determine where he wants to end up. Then the Magic will have to just piece together whatever the team they are trading for has available. Let's say Dwight chooses to sign with the Mavs outright, who have the cap room to sign him. The most the Magic could get back for Dwight would be a couple 1st round picks because they don't have any leverage. If they traded him right now, they would be able to get some actual talent in return for him.

According to Magic Insider Brian Schmitz, Orlando doesn't want Brook Lopez.

[MEDIA=twitter]174520945871028225[/MEDIA]

What puzzles me is what New Jersey has to offer other than Lopez or Derren Williams. They've got Marshon Brooks and really nothing else. And since Monta is part of the discussion, we can assume they would rather have Monta than Brooks. The Nets' two biggest assets are the expiring contracts of Humphries and Okur. If New Jersey can find another team to trade those two assets for solid player or two, it could then flip those players to Orlando as part of the Howard deal.

All in all, I just don't see Howard ending up in Jersey. I think he's headed to Los Angeles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vescey. I don't understand how he is still employed.

Sure the numbers work but why would Orlando do it?
GSW get Okur/Lopez/Turk
Nets get Howard
Magic get Ellis/Udoh/Bieds/M Brooks

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Magic Insider Brian Schmitz, Orlando doesn't want Brook Lopez.

[MEDIA=twitter]174520945871028225[/MEDIA]

What puzzles me is what New Jersey has to offer other than Lopez or Derren Williams. They've got Marshon Brooks and really nothing else. And since Monta is part of the discussion, we can assume they would rather have Monta than Brooks. The Nets' two biggest assets are the expiring contracts of Humphries and Okur. If New Jersey can find another team to trade those two assets for solid player or two, it could then flip those players to Orlando as part of the Howard deal.

All in all, I just don't see Howard ending up in Jersey. I think he's headed to Los Angeles.

I would think if the Magic are involved in talks with New Jersey, then it would seem the Magic's biggest concern would be to shed as much cap space as possible. Okur and Humpries bring back 19M in expirings alone. Pair that with Monta and a couple 1st rd picks from NJ and ridding themselves of Turkoglu's contract and that becomes a decent haul.

How's this scenario:

Warriors Trade: Monta Ellis & Dorell Wright
Receive: Brook Lopez and Hedo Turkoglu

Orlando Trade: Dwight Howard & Hedo Turkoglu
Receives: Monta, Brooks, Okur, Humpries, 2 1st Rd Picks (New Jersey)

New Jersey Trade: Brook Lopez, Marshawn Brooks, Mehmet Okur, Kris Humpries, 2 1st RD Picks
Receive: Dwight Howard & Dorell Wright

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, as JW says, he WON'T...he'll go with a S&T which give Orlando some leverage over the Mavs. I agree that Orlando has more leverage now than after the season, but I don't think the difference is huge. They'll insist on Bynum or they'll keep him.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Apparently the Warriors are still considering a trade where they cut out the middle man and get Howard in trade - even though he has stated that he does not want to be in the Bay Area.

[MEDIA=twitter]174576676729135104[/MEDIA]

I like the fact that the front office is willing to stick its neck out for a deal like that. Let's hope it happens.