• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“It seems as though the Indians may be moving on to some other possibilities,” Morosi said. “… I think the Mariners are very open-minded to moving Santana, but at the moment, not that many teams are really looking for offensive help on the corners because a lot of teams are at least mostly content with the way they’re swinging the bats given this historically great offensive year across Major League Baseball. I do think that the Rays had been a possibility, (but it) doesn’t seem as though it’s terribly likely.”

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I am guessing the Mariners are the exception to this rule...lol.

I think the hypothesis makes sense to a certain extent. Take Justus Sheffield for example. He was ranked as roughly a top 60 prospect in baseball, but has fallen out of the top 100 and there were a number of anonymous scouts and executives who had concerns about him and figured he might need to shift to the bullpen.

I'm not declaring him a bust yet, but if he fails to make it as a starter that could be a good example defending the hypothesis that teams sell high on prospects when internally they might have their concerns and internally think the player might be overrated.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’ve been trying to trade right-hander Mike Leake for the past two months after a proposed trade with the Diamondbacks that was scuttled by Mariners ownership. - No wonder Leake is pissed at M's.

Wtf? What's the source on this? The rumor I heard is that the D'Backs trade never even got serious.

If that's true I'm really pissed because the only reason it would be scuttled by ownership would mean they didn't want to eat however much of Leake's contract that Dipoto offered.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the hypothesis makes sense to a certain extent. Take Justus Sheffield for example. He was ranked as roughly a top 60 prospect in baseball, but has fallen out of the top 100 and there were a number of anonymous scouts and executives who had concerns about him and figured he might need to shift to the bullpen.

I'm not declaring him a bust yet, but if he fails to make it as a starter that could be a good example defending the hypothesis that teams sell high on prospects when internally they might have their concerns and internally think the player might be overrated.

1- I have said it over and over and that is I never wanted that guy. One, he was a Yankee and they overhype their prospects which makes these ranking companies over hype them as well in my opinion. Two, I just didn't see it and believe there are reason a sub 6' SP rarely makes it. Maybe it has to do with teams given up on them quicker and putting them in the pen or maybe it has to do with leverage to throw hard and to make pitches move.

2- I think GM's have so much pride in their top prospects they tend to not let them go when signs say he may have more value in a trade than in a long term keep. Ryan Anderson comes to mind. I remember him being highly valued trade prospect back in the day but M's pride didn't wall to pull the trigger though signs showed him being questionable after a couple of minor league years if my old memory is correct.

Who knows.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners can still trade Leake and Gordon (even on the DL, I will never call it the IL) neither are going to fetch a prospect worth a damn ranking wise, it just depends on how much they are willing to eat. The Mariners traded for that reliever from the Braves who won’t throw a pitch for them. Like Smyly except we traded Smith for him then traded for Smith back.

All the articles I've read indicate that there isn't much interest in Dee Gordon and unfortunately his injuries this year diminish his value even more.

As of right now, Leake will be pitching tonight as he was listed in the lineup.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf? What's the source on this? The rumor I heard is that the D'Backs trade never even got serious.

If that's true I'm really pissed because the only reason it would be scuttled by ownership would mean they didn't want to eat however much of Leake's contract that Dipoto offered.

Ryan Divish was the source. I read this somewhere else, ut then found it in his article. I have no idea what they were thinking? That is why he is so pissed at the team. He is a AZ guy and that would have been the ultimate spot for him and his family. I don't get it at all.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- I have said it over and over and that is I never wanted that guy. One, he was a Yankee and they overhype their prospects which makes these ranking companies over hype them as well in my opinion. Two, I just didn't see it and believe there are reason a sub 6' SP rarely makes it. Maybe it has to do with teams given up on them quicker and putting them in the pen or maybe it has to do with leverage to throw hard and to make pitches move.

Unfortunately it's looking like you might be right on this one. I remember before your hiatus we were debating about this and I thought it was a fair trade. I don't want to give up on him yet because our starting pitching depth within the organization is so poor, but aside from his success in AA he hasn't given us much to get excited about.

2- I think GM's have so much pride in their top prospects they tend to not let them go when signs say he may have more value in a trade than in a long term keep. Ryan Anderson comes to mind. I remember him being highly valued trade prospect back in the day but M's pride didn't wall to pull the trigger though signs showed him being questionable after a couple of minor league years if my old memory is correct.

Who knows.

Hard to say. I think your point on GMs having so much pride in their top prospects further confirms that whenever a team is willing to ship one off, they're either despite/stupid (like the Mariners with the Erik Bedard trade or the Mets with Kelenic), or they think the player is overrated and they're willing to leverage their value before it starts to tank.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Divish was the source. I read this somewhere else, ut then found it in his article. I have no idea what they were thinking? That is why he is so pissed at the team. He is a AZ guy and that would have been the ultimate spot for him and his family. I don't get it at all.

That's pretty strange. I don't get it at all either. I was under the impression he wanted out of the organization because he wanted to pitch for a winner. I hope it's not the case that the Mariners ownership veto'd the trade out of financial concerns because that would mean he likely won't get traded at all.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty strange. I don't get it at all either. I was under the impression he wanted out of the organization because he wanted to pitch for a winner. I hope it's not the case that the Mariners ownership veto'd the trade out of financial concerns because that would mean he likely won't get traded at all.

He wanted out of St. Louis to be closer to AZ where he went to college and still lives with his family. Not sure if that is his highest priority now that they aren't as good as last year or if playing for a contender is. I would have loved to have heard that conversation with ownership about this deal. It looks like they will still have to pay him and get no prospect in return unless something crazy happens in the next 23 hours.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wanted out of St. Louis to be closer to AZ where he went to college and still lives with his family. Not sure if that is his highest priority now that they aren't as good as last year or if playing for a contender is. I would have loved to have heard that conversation with ownership about this deal. It looks like they will still have to pay him and get no prospect in return unless something crazy happens in the next 23 hours.

I can't remember which article it was because I read a lot of them, but something Ryan Divish wrote gave me the indication there hasn't been much interest so far. He speculated that perhaps a strong outing today would slightly change the perception on him, but it won't mean much.

I'd love to know all the shit that journalists hear behind the scenes from their sources but aren't allowed to speak regarding specifics. If that rumor regarding the ownership vetoing the trade is true, then that explains why there hasn't been serious interest in him. He's a consistent guy who you can rely on to go 6-7 innings and give you a good game. I've always been perplexed as to why there hasn't been more interest in him, but if ownership won't throw much money into the deal that could be why.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is one I don't like to hear:

No. 7 Jake Fraley, OF (24)
MON: DNP
2019: .290/.358/.525, 22-2B, 5-3B, 16 HR, 69 RBI, 32 BB, 82 SO, 20 SB

7.29.2019: Fraley’s name has come up in trade discussions this month. Rival clubs’ conversations suggest Seattle is after pitching. It’s likely just due dilligence, but you never know.

FTR, “has come up” doesn’t mean Seattle is the one bringing up the player.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7.29.2019: Fraley’s name has come up in trade discussions this month. Rival clubs’ conversations suggest Seattle is after pitching. It’s likely just due dilligence, but you never know.

I find that very strange.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two read for ya'll:

Where Will Domingo Santana End Up?

I will say I'll be disappointed if there are no deals made before the deadline. Gives us something interesting to debate over.

I am not expecting much to happen. And thats not just a Mariner thing, I think that might be a baseball thing but we will see in 24 hours.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not expecting much to happen. And thats not just a Mariner thing, I think that might be a baseball thing but we will see in 24 hours.

You're probably right. Realistically speaking it's 50/50 at best we trade Santana or Leake with how things are looking right now. I suppose we'll see.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the articles I've read indicate that there isn't much interest in Dee Gordon and unfortunately his injuries this year diminish his value even more.

As of right now, Leake will be pitching tonight as he was listed in the lineup.

Well I’m not going to dispute the value of either Gordon or Leake. I’m just saying if Seattle were to eat the contracts then there would be a market for both, nothing valuable in return but have Gordon as a pinch runner or utility guy and Leake as an innings eater for the month of September so a pitching staff can be fresh for the playoffs does have value. But not value at the price I’m assuming.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn, this goes back to the conversation of the Jerry got an extension topic. The Mariners have a bunch of OF prospects and I just pray to god he chooses the right ones to deal. But it doesn’t really make sense to start trading any of them right now, since he is blocking anyone from playing time.

If Fraley is dealt, he is an offseason type deal where you swap him for a pitching prospect, not a deadline deal where teams generally are wanting to either acquire MLB talent or just prospects. How often do prospects get swapped during the trade deadline, besides Jerry swapping O’Neill for Marco?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all kinds of rumors floating around up here in NH.

The weirdest I've heard so far........David Price and Benitendi for T.J Rivera, Edwin Diaz and Jacob DeGroom.

I've heard about five or six that involve Diaz coming to Boston. My guess is the he will be a Red Sox closer by game time tomorrow one way or another.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all kinds of rumors floating around up here in NH.

The weirdest I've heard so far........David Price and Benitendi for T.J Rivera, Edwin Diaz and Jacob DeGroom.

I've heard about five or six that involve Diaz coming to Boston. My guess is the he will be a Red Sox closer by game time tomorrow one way or another.

I would really like to see that. Diaz as closer for the Sox would be great.