• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline/Team improvement thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane Victorino released from the Cubs and is available... He's an old 35 year old though... RH that could play LF... Just a thought if we're looking at buying on the cheap...

saw that as well, but i think he is done. i really wish we could have gotten bradley jr. from sox in the miley deal. we were rumored to be talking about him with them.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw that as well, but i think he is done. i really wish we could have gotten bradley jr. from sox in the miley deal. we were rumored to be talking about him with them.

Is that the kid who is absolutely tearing it up? Who did they want from us in the deal?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that the kid who is absolutely tearing it up? Who did they want from us in the deal?

Ya, the same one. I think it was Paxton if I remember right.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would pass on both.
I would pass on both as free agents acquisitions. As trade deadline pickups, they are both appealing because the money we would be taking on would be for the 2016 season only. There are several better options but most of them are tied to long term, expensive contracts (Braun, Kemp, etc.).

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chris Taylor put the final nail in his Mariner coffin last night. They will keep him in the oprganization until Marte is off the DL, but after that he becomes trade bait. I bet he is showcased a lot in the Padre games coming up.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chris Taylor put the final nail in his Mariner coffin last night. They will keep him in the oprganization until Marte is off the DL, but after that he becomes trade bait. I bet he is showcased a lot in the Padre games coming up.

Yeah he had a bad game, a garbage game, but this game was lost by hitting into double plays and striking out with RISP. The only thing that really bothers me about Taylor is his K rate. I really don't think he is as terrible as a lot of us are making it sound, but his spot on the 40 man is easily replaceable. I hope he is showcased over the next couple weeks if he can be a piece to a trade that brings in something of need then that would be awesome. But he can't have anymore games like he just had, period.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bullpen hasn't been what it's going to be simply because Furbush has yet to pitch. I feel like if we can get him back soon and slot him into that lefty setup role, we can start to use our other relievers, including Zych, in roles they're more suited for and get the guys who either aren't ready for the majors yet or never will be ready back to Tacoma. Our pen tends to be at its worst when we have guys in roles they were forced into playing due to injuries and/or ineffectiveness. When you have your bullpen mapped out towards the end of Spring Training and then you have to start moving guys around, it can really mess with what you want out of your bullpen. Getting Benoit back was a good first step, but getting Charlie and Tony back will be a big help.

Having said all that... Peralta still scares the crap out of me in close games.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bullpen hasn't been what it's going to be simply because Furbush has yet to pitch. I feel like if we can get him back soon and slot him into that lefty setup role, we can start to use our other relievers, including Zych, in roles they're more suited for and get the guys who either aren't ready for the majors yet or never will be ready back to Tacoma. Our pen tends to be at its worst when we have guys in roles they were forced into playing due to injuries and/or ineffectiveness. When you have your bullpen mapped out towards the end of Spring Training and then you have to start moving guys around, it can really mess with what you want out of your bullpen. Getting Benoit back was a good first step, but getting Charlie and Tony back will be a big help.

I get what you are saying and I agree, but i gotta be honest getting Furbush back needs to be taken with caution. The guy has been on the shelf since July '15. Do not expect him to be the same guy. It may take some time for him to get back to major league ready, not trying to be negative here but it is my feeling we need to take the Furbush return lightly, it will almost be 1 year before he is back on a major league mound, there will be some rust to deal with. Truth be told he has gone through a MAJOR injury, and will likely never be the same pitcher again.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying and I agree, but i gotta be honest getting Furbush back needs to be taken with caution. The guy has been on the shelf since July '15. Do not expect him to be the same guy. It may take some time for him to get back to major league ready, not trying to be negative here but it is my feeling we need to take the Furbush return lightly, it will almost be 1 year before he is back on a major league mound, there will be some rust to deal with. Truth be told he has gone through a MAJOR injury, and will likely never be the same pitcher again.

I was just about to write the same exact thing. He has to be treated as a bonus baby right now and expect little and appreciate anything he can give us for however long.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Greg Johns ‏@GregJohnsMLB 1m1 minute ago

Minor soreness leads to delay in Furbush's rehab, but reliever says it's not a concern. http://atmlb.com/1TXGfC4

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Monty is going there is no need to rush him at all

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Monty is going there is no need to rush him at all
MM looks awesome, a lot like he did his first few starts last year before struggling down the stretch.

Do we need a lefty starter for the playoffs, and if so do we trust Miley there? Seems like Montgomery has better stuff. If the playoffs started tomorrow, for sure Felix & TW are 2 of the starters but not sure who the 3rd would be.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM looks awesome, a lot like he did his first few starts last year before struggling down the stretch.

Do we need a lefty starter for the playoffs, and if so do we trust Miley there? Seems like Montgomery has better stuff. If the playoffs started tomorrow, for sure Felix & TW are 2 of the starters but not sure who the 3rd would be.

I go Karns or Miley for 3rd in rotation depending on matchup and tell them both to give them the best 5 innings they have and use the other for relief in game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go Karns or Miley for 3rd in rotation depending on matchup and tell them both to give them the best 5 innings they have and use the other for relief in game.
So if it's Felix-Walker-Karns as the 3 man rotation, you're not concerned that there's no lefty? Does that tip anything in the direction of Miley even though Karns has better numbers and overall stuff (assuming you agree he does)?

Side note, and not sure it means a whole lot, but I remember back in the '97 season when we had a rotation of Unit-Moyer-Fassero and probably underachieved in the playoffs and lost to Baltimore. Now our bullpen was pretty weak back then, but just an interesting thing to think about. I still cannot believe those mid to late 90s teams never even made it to a WS.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if it's Felix-Walker-Karns as the 3 man rotation, you're not concerned that there's no lefty? Does that tip anything in the direction of Miley even though Karns has better numbers and overall stuff (assuming you agree he does)?

That is why I said depending on the match-up. If the team we are playing is built like ours, left-handed heavy, then you go Miley with Karns ready in the pen.

Handedness only matters if there is a big talent difference. If your 3 lefties are RJ, Price, and say Sale, then it doesn't matter even if you are facing an all RH lineup.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Side note, and not sure it means a whole lot, but I remember back in the '97 season when we had a rotation of Unit-Moyer-Fassero and probably underachieved in the playoffs and lost to Baltimore. Now our bullpen was pretty weak back then, but just an interesting thing to think about. I still cannot believe those mid to late 90s teams never even made it to a WS.
I personally wouldn't be concerned having a righty only 3 man. You gotta go with the 3 best guys and the guys that are pitching well at that time. But depending on the team you are playing it might make sense to go with Miley over karns.