• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline: Are we buyers, sellers, or do we stand pat?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of reminds me of how I feel about Rodon too.
But in Rodon's case, injuries have dominated his career with the Sox to date. Not to make excuses, but I would have liked to see him pitch at least two or three solid years without going on the IL to get a genuine view of his talents or lack thereof. So far Lopez has had that opportunity and has failed more often than succeeded. I'm still for giving him a few more starts, but if he continues down this road of inconsistency, either demote him or try him out the rest of the year as a long reliever.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the guy's ERA is something like 8 outside of games vs the Indians/Royals/Tigers/Blue Jays...The worst scoring teams in the league are the only thing keeping him in the 6 range.

I'll take less than nothing.

Lopez would 100% fetch something on the market.

And that logic is severely flawed... as everyone's ERA is noticeably worse if you remove the 4 worst teams they've faced.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of reminds me of how I feel about Rodon too.

Rodon was much more promising than Lopez, though. Rodon's issue was injuries. Whenever he was able to put 100 or so consecutive innings together. He'd always wind-up going on a terrific run. He was just always either hurt or coming off of being hurt.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the life of me, I can’t think of anyone that a contender would want enough to give up young prospects that the Sox would be willing to deal. Giolito, moancada, and Jimenez are untouchable.

No one's talking about dealing those three, Robert, Kopech or Madrigal. That's for sure.

The White Sox deadline trade talk mostly surrounds veterans like Colome, Bummer and Leury Garcia. In exchange for young talent. Most people have even conceded to the fact that Abreu is going nowhere.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez would 100% fetch something on the market.

And that logic is severely flawed... as everyone's ERA is noticeably worse if you remove the 4 worst teams they've faced.

I guess the logic is flawed if the expectation is garbage. This guy is horrible overall and REALLY REALLY REALLY horrible against any decent teams. Any half decent offensive squad embarrasses him-which is pretty much gonna be any team we face in a playoff if we're "on the rise/cusp."

Cut or trade his ass. Ain't got no time for players that are this f*cking bad.

If this guy was pitching for a playoff contender he would have been sent down or moved a month ago. Winning teams shouldn't/don't accept such horrible play. The ONLY thing this guy's got going for him is, somehow, our current 3 and 4 (Nova and Banuelos) are close to-if not as bad as he is. But with those guys I have less of an issue because I'm certain they're time is coming due at offseason. For some reason we seem to love this Lopez guy, that makes him more dangerous as he'll f*cking Parkey our asses. Time to raise your own flawed expectations imo.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the logic is flawed if the expectation is garbage. This guy is horrible overall and REALLY REALLY REALLY horrible against any decent teams. Any half decent offensive squad embarrasses him-which is pretty much gonna be any team we face in a playoff if we're "on the rise/cusp."

If this guy was pitching for a playoff contender he would have been sent down or moved a month ago. Winning teams shouldn't/don't accept such horrible play. The ONLY thing this guy's got going for him is, somehow, our current 3 and 4 (Nova and Banuelos) are close to-if not as bad as he is. But with those guys I have less of an issue because I'm certain they're time is coming due at offseason. For some reason we seem to love this Lopez guy, that makes him more dangerous as he'll f*cking Parkey our asses. Time to raise your own flawed expectations imo.

I guess the logic is flawed if the expectation is garbage.

Well, the logic is just flawed, in general. Of course, even good pitchers dominate bad teams and then are susceptible vs good ones. This isn't a defense of Lopez's pitching, overall. It's just a critique of a horrendous method of evaluation.

I've said myself that it's getting really tough to continue sending him out there. However, this IS a guy who has been an above average starter over a larger sample size during a 4 year career. We all watched how bad Giolito was last season. If the White Sox thought your way, Giolito would be an all-star for somebody else.

Lopez's velo and movement is worth sticking with through our final developmental season. Even if it does require a move to the bullpen/long relief or AAA.

If this guy was pitching for a playoff contender he would have been sent down or moved a month ago.

He's not

Winning teams shouldn't/don't accept such horrible play.

We're not a winning team.

The ONLY thing this guy's got going for him is, somehow, our current 3 and 4 (Nova and Banuelos) are close to-if not as bad as he is.

Manny Banuelos has not started a game in over 2 months.

Ivan Nova has a 3.93 ERA since mid-May.

For some reason we seem to love this Lopez guy, that makes him more dangerous as he'll f*cking Parkey our asses. Time to raise your own flawed expectations imo

Yeah, you tend to like young pitchers who came up as top prospects, possessing elite velo, movement and immediately showed promise over 3 seasons. Including a full season of posting a 3.90 ERA and 1.2 WHIP through just under 200 innings in 2018. You tend not to give up on that over one half season of poor pitching.

The Parkey comparison is just odd and lacks an insane amount of context/perspective pertaining to the 2019 White Sox. This is not a team driving towards a World Series bid. We're trying to develop guys who can do that over the ensuing 5-10 seasons.

I have no expectations ANY time Lopez takes the mound right now. He's currently unwatchable.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the logic is flawed if the expectation is garbage.

Well, the logic is just flawed, in general. Of course, even good pitchers dominate bad teams and then are susceptible vs good ones. This isn't a defense of Lopez's pitching, overall. It's just a critique of a horrendous method of evaluation.

I've said myself that it's getting really tough to continue sending him out there. However, this IS a guy who has been an above average starter over a larger sample size during a 4 year career. We all watched how bad Giolito was last season. If the White Sox thought your way, Giolito would be an all-star for somebody else.

Lopez's velo and movement is worth sticking with through our final developmental season. Even if it does require a move to the bullpen/long relief or AAA.

If this guy was pitching for a playoff contender he would have been sent down or moved a month ago.

He's not

Winning teams shouldn't/don't accept such horrible play.

We're not a winning team.

The ONLY thing this guy's got going for him is, somehow, our current 3 and 4 (Nova and Banuelos) are close to-if not as bad as he is.

Manny Banuelos has not started a game in over 2 months.

Ivan Nova has a 3.93 ERA since mid-May.

For some reason we seem to love this Lopez guy, that makes him more dangerous as he'll f*cking Parkey our asses. Time to raise your own flawed expectations imo

Yeah, you tend to like young pitchers who came up as top prospects, possessing elite velo, movement and immediately showed promise over 3 seasons. Including a full season of posting a 3.90 ERA and 1.2 WHIP through just under 200 innings in 2018. You tend not to give up on that over one half season of poor pitching.

The Parkey comparison is just odd and lacks an insane amount of context/perspective pertaining to the 2019 White Sox. This is not a team driving towards a World Series bid. We're trying to develop guys who can do that over the ensuing 5-10 seasons.

I have no expectations ANY time Lopez takes the mound right now. He's currently unwatchable.

The bullet point posting? *audible groan*

Lopez sucks. Period. Just calling a pitcher "unwatchable" defines it so clearly. Sports is entertainment...How in the hell could anyone want a player on the White Sox that is unenjoyable because he's so bad?

I didn't even realize Banuelos has been out of the rotation so long. So it's Covey and Cease officially for the second half in the 4/5? That's worthy of a minor celebration. That dude sucks too. One down...One to go.

Nova won twice vs. the Cubs giving up only 1 ER in the past month. That's a quick path to my heart. I'm sold that he's not a in the same Zip Code as Lopez's in sucktown. Granted, I was never calling for his head in the first place. He's just whatever, though. I wouldn't want him on the mound in a playoff game. Especially when he's currently on pace for his worst season in the majors. Let's not overlook that fact.

I just call it being Parkey'ed when a team gets screwed over by a player now. Lopez most assuredly could Parkey us right out of a playoff series. So that I feel that way, it's time to move on. Granted, I have no control. But I wouldn't shed a tear if we outright cut him.