• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Three Most Poorly Operated NBA Franchises

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns and Wizards I definitely agree with. Think those two are definitely no-brainers. But I think you absolutely have to put the Bulls up on the top 3. Gun to my head, I'd take off the T-Wolves. What they essentially did was one bad move that turned into 5. Hiring Thibbs, who then gave that horrible contract to Wiggins put them behind the 8-ball. They were on the upswing before Thibbs and he made it all come crashing back to reality.

Bulls are almost next level bad in terms of how poorly their front office is run.

I'll give you props for posting a real response unlike last time, but I respectfully ask you to look past your fascination with Philly prospects. Another big reason I put the Timberwolves here is because I don't think Saric and Covington are as good as the mainstream media bills them as, simply because they came from Philly and were part of the so-called "process".

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you props for posting a real response unlike last time, but I respectfully ask you to look past your fascination with Philly prospects. Another big reason I put the Timberwolves here is because I don't think Saric and Covington are as good as the mainstream media bills them as, simply because they came from Philly and were part of the so-called "process".

The Bulls have consistently made poor moves over the last few years that have run talent out of the city. On top of that they've made horrible front office decisions, including their coaching options, free agency and really have nothing to show for it. Their last two big free agent splashes were signing a past prime D-Wade at a huge contract then waiving him. They signed Jabari Parker for a 2 year 40M deal and they end up benching him. They fired their coach and replaced him with another coach who immediately had a mutiny on his hands. They had one teammate literally punch another teammate in the face giving him a concussion and fractures in his face. I mean every thing you could think of going wrong with a franchise has happened within the last few years.

The reason the Bulls are higher on my list is that the front office doesn't seen to be in jeopardy despite how bad they've been. At least the T-Wolves rectified the problem with Thibbs. He was the real reason for every problem they had. They gave him the personnel control on the team as well as being coach (which almost never works out). He's responsible for every move you'd probably have as a gripe against them, whereas the Bulls front office has multiple issues on every front.

I'm not saying the gap between them is huge or disproportionate but I believe the Bulls have as solid a case as anyone being in that top 3.

Edit: deleted my thoughts on the Covington/Saric issue as it's not pertaining to my assessment of the Bulls franchise. There's another thread for that.

Edit 2: Also another thought on the Bulls. After the players were threatening to boycott practice because they hated the coach and even took up issue with the Players Union, what do the Bulls do in response? They gave Boylan a damn extension!

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pistons used Sheed on Shaq anyway so you're absolutely right. They rotated Wallace also

Man come to think of it the Wizards had Sheed, Rip, and Wallace lol

And Webber but he wasn't himself once he joined the Pistons

So....thanks!!

They had Ben Wallace too!

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bulls have consistently made poor moves over the last few years that have run talent out of the city. On top of that they've made horrible front office decisions, including their coaching options, free agency and really have nothing to show for it. Their last two big free agent splashes were signing a past prime D-Wade at a huge contract then waiving him. They signed Jabari Parker for a 2 year 40M deal and they end up benching him. They fired their coach and replaced him with another coach who immediately had a mutiny on his hands. They had one teammate literally punch another teammate in the face giving him a concussion and fractures in his face. I mean every thing you could think of going wrong with a franchise has happened within the last few years.

The reason the Bulls are higher on my list is that the front office doesn't seen to be in jeopardy despite how bad they've been. At least the T-Wolves rectified the problem with Thibbs. He was the real reason for every problem they had. They gave him the personnel control on the team as well as being coach (which almost never works out). He's responsible for every move you'd probably have as a gripe against them, whereas the Bulls front office has multiple issues on every front.

I'm not saying the gap between them is huge or disproportionate but I believe the Bulls have as solid a case as anyone being in that top 3.

Edit: deleted my thoughts on the Covington/Saric issue as it's not pertaining to my assessment of the Bulls franchise. There's another thread for that.

Edit 2: Also another thought on the Bulls. After the players were threatening to boycott practice because they hated the coach and even took up issue with the Players Union, what do the Bulls do in response? They gave Boylan a damn extension!

You're right, but the one thing that I disagree with is the last part.

You can't let a bunch of barely NBA caliber players determine who your coach is.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, but the one thing that I disagree with is the last part.

You can't let a bunch of barely NBA caliber players determine who your coach is.

No you can't.

But when you have an interim coach with no rapport with the players, you don't extend him.

It isn't like they hired somebody wth a resume either. It is Jim freakin Boylan.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you can't.

But when you have an interim coach with no rapport with the players, you don't extend him.

It isn't like they hired somebody wth a resume either. It is Jim freakin Boylan.

The only players they should be keeping are mark and carter anyway

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pistons are an absolute train wreck. And have been for many years now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly agree with the list, but the Lakers when Short Buss was running things, should at least get honorable mention.

Or would that be dishonorable mention?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would have the Wolves as one of the 2 worst run franchises in history. A lot of the recent issues stem from the atrocious Thibs hiring, but he was just the latest in a very long history of giant mistakes. James Dolan must send gift baskets to Glen Taylor every year, without him Dolan would stand out as the worst thing in sports.

Mind you with Thibs gone, the guy running the team now is the same one who ruined the Knicks long before Isaiah took all the blame.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have the Wolves as one of the 2 worst run franchises in history. A lot of the recent issues stem from the atrocious Thibs hiring, but he was just the latest in a very long history of giant mistakes. James Dolan must send gift baskets to Glen Taylor every year, without him Dolan would stand out as the worst thing in sports.

Mind you with Thibs gone, the guy running the team now is the same one who ruined the Knicks long before Isaiah took all the blame.

Again we probably need a timeline.

They got a ton for love with zero leverage, but Wiggins didn’t work out the way it was expected.

Once they made the butler trade they should’ve been using Wiggins to get a pail George type.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's fair yet to put the Suns up there. They are young and trying to build something, we will see if they are deserving of that ranking in 3-5 years.

I would substitute the Knicks with the Suns. Absolutely zero reason a place like New York should be as bad as they are, I mean, they have what every single other NBA franchise wants, yet they are atrocious and have been for more than a decade. Add to it, they actually have a passionate fan base, which I am sure they are losing with each passing year, but c'mon the Knicks are awful, makes no sense.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's fair yet to put the Suns up there. They are young and trying to build something, we will see if they are deserving of that ranking in 3-5 years.

I would substitute the Knicks with the Suns. Absolutely zero reason a place like New York should be as bad as they are, I mean, they have what every single other NBA franchise wants, yet they are atrocious and have been for more than a decade. Add to it, they actually have a passionate fan base, which I am sure they are losing with each passing year, but c'mon the Knicks are awful, makes no sense.

Well the Suns, even if they are young, have whiffed HARD the last few years on their draft picks.

2012 - Kendal Marshall, 13th overall. While most of the picks in their range turned out to be not so great, that draft also produced Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Jae Crowder, Will Barton, Tomas Satoransky, Evan Fournier, Mo Harkless, John Henson...all drafted after Marshall.

2013 - Alex Len, 5th overall. Drafted after him was Nerlens Noel, CJ McCollum, Steven Adams, Kelly Olynk, Giannis, Dennis Shroeder, Tim Hardaway JR, Rudy Gobert,

2014 - TJ Warren, 14th overall. Solid pick here. No problems with it even if there were more talented guys after him.

2015 - Devin Booker, 13th overall. Amazing pick, no doubt about it.

2016 - Dragan Bender, 4th overall. Picks directly after him were Kris Dunn, Buddy Hield and Jamal Murray.

2016 - Marquese Chriss, 8th overall. Domatas Sabonis went 3 picks later.

2017 - Josh Jackson, 4th overall. Next pick was De'Aaron Fox. Followed by Isaac, Markennan, Smith Jr., Donovan Mitchell, Bam Adebayo, John Collins, Jarrett Allen, etc. etc.

Add that to the dysfunction of their front office and you have the makings of a terribly run franchise.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Dolan just said "Hold my beer"

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprised that the Hornets haven't been mentioned yet

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprised that the Hornets haven't been mentioned yet

Because they are just garden variety incompetent and not world class incompetent like the Knicks. Or Wizards.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bulls are the worst imo. Same management for 15 yrs and it took major luck in getting rose (1% chance in draft)to be relevant for a couple yrs. They overvalue their talent and refuse to take a chance in a trade. Their current president would not give up luol deng in a package for a prime kobe

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a Wolves fan when opening this thread, I though to myself, FINALLY a NBA list my team is sure to make!

People can point to Thibs. People can point to Kahn. People can point to McHale.

....but the one thing they all have in common is Glen Taylor hired each and every one of them, gave them too much power and then usually kept them on too long.

I like Taylor as a man. He has done great things in this state. But he is an awful, awful, awful NBA owner in terms of knowing who to hire and how to hold the people he hires accountable.

Hell the ONLY reason that Thibs didn't get another 2 years of running this franchise is because he wasn't a good person. Had he been a lovable buffoon instead of having a disagreeable demeanor, he would still be running this team.

**** And let's not forget the entire illegal Joe Smith deal that Taylor orchestrated that was a major reason they couldn't build a competitive team around Garnett.

Taylor is a great man. But not all great men are meant to run an NBA franchise.