• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Three Most Poorly Operated NBA Franchises

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are mine:
  • Suns - To me, they are #1 by far. Even when they were contending during the Steve Nash era, owner Robert Sarver had cut corners at all costs, likely costing them a championship. Now with that core long gone, they haven't made the playoffs since 2010 and haven't really had a competent GM in that time frame. This is a team famous for stocking up players at similar positions at similar skill sets that don't really fit with one another. Booker and Ayton figure to be their franchise cornerstones going forward, but can anyone play defense?
  • Wizards - Is there any NBA GM more famous for his complacency than Ernie Grunfeld? If so, I'm all ears. And on top of that, Grunfeld as held his position since 2003.
  • Timberwolves - Three years ago, they were lucky enough to be saddled with the best collection of young talent in the NBA. So what do they do with this talent? Hire an old retread coach to help them reach their first playoff appearance since 2004, but it comes at a cost. That said coach brought over one of his problem children from his Chicago days, and now both are gone amid bad locker room tension, and as a result the team is now stuck in the middle of a deep western conference, arguably the worst spot to be in the current NBA. On top of all this, they paid Andrew Wiggins based on his draft status rather than his on-court production and effectiveness. Overall, this franchise paid a hefty cost to snap their playoff drought and time will tell if they ever recover, but the smart money says "no".
Not far behind:
  • Knicks - For all the talk on this board that market matters, you would think this team would have won something worth a damn in recent years. As it stands, they have one playoff series win since 2001. One.
  • Bulls - This is a team that badly needs some young blood in their front office. They came to the conclusion that Fred Hoiberg was not their long-term coach after a 5-19 start amid injuries, and elected not to waste his time and sent him packing. Unfortunately, the guy they chose to replace him is not better in any way, and to make matters worse, they've already guaranteed his contract for next season. You're not a good basketball team right now, so why the fuck would you commit to one guy already? Talk about a bargain-basement hire, and a sign that ownership is satisfied with the team's current trend.
  • Pistons - There is some talent here, making their overall record look respectable. Like the Bulls, they fired their coach (Stan Van Gundy) without any real plan in place. Just another example of ownership being satisfied with complacency.
  • Magic - Haven't made the playoffs since the ugly Dwight Howard fallout, and have managed to let the young talent they have developed in the time since get away, such as Oladipo and Tobias Harris. This is an organization still struggling to find an identity.
  • Kings - De'Aaron Fox may be their saving grace.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are mine:
  • Suns - To me, they are #1 by far. Even when they were contending during the Steve Nash era, owner Robert Sarver had cut corners at all costs, likely costing them a championship. Now with that core long gone, they haven't made the playoffs since 2010 and haven't really had a competent GM in that time frame. This is a team famous for stocking up players at similar positions at similar skill sets that don't really fit with one another. Booker and Ayton figure to be their franchise cornerstones going forward, but can anyone play defense?
  • Wizards - Is there any NBA GM more famous for his complacency than Ernie Grunfeld? If so, I'm all ears. And on top of that, Grunfeld as held his position since 2003.
  • Timberwolves - Three years ago, they were lucky enough to be saddled with the best collection of young talent in the NBA. So what do they do with this talent? Hire an old retread coach to help them reach their first playoff appearance since 2004, but it comes at a cost. That said coach brought over one of his problem children from his Chicago days, and now both are gone amid bad locker room tension, and as a result the team is now stuck in the middle of a deep western conference, arguably the worst spot to be in the current NBA. On top of all this, they paid Andrew Wiggins based on his draft status rather than his on-court production and effectiveness. Overall, this franchise paid a hefty cost to snap their playoff drought and time will tell if they ever recover, but the smart money says "no".
Not far behind:
  • Knicks - For all the talk on this board that market matters, you would think this team would have won something worth a damn in recent years. As it stands, they have one playoff series win since 2001. One.
  • Bulls - This is a team that badly needs some young blood in their front office. They came to the conclusion that Fred Hoiberg was not their long-term coach after a 5-19 start amid injuries, and elected not to waste his time and sent him packing. Unfortunately, the guy they chose to replace him is not better in any way, and to make matters worse, they've already guaranteed his contract for next season. You're not a good basketball team right now, so why the fuck would you commit to one guy already? Talk about a bargain-basement hire, and a sign that ownership is satisfied with the team's current trend.
  • Pistons - There is some talent here, making their overall record look respectable. Like the Bulls, they fired their coach (Stan Van Gundy) without any real plan in place. Just another example of ownership being satisfied with complacency.
  • Magic - Haven't made the playoffs since the ugly Dwight Howard fallout, and have managed to let the young talent they have developed in the time since get away, such as Oladipo and Tobias Harris. This is an organization still struggling to find an identity.
  • Kings - De'Aaron Fox may be their saving grace.

Suns and Wizards I definitely agree with. Think those two are definitely no-brainers. But I think you absolutely have to put the Bulls up on the top 3. Gun to my head, I'd take off the T-Wolves. What they essentially did was one bad move that turned into 5. Hiring Thibbs, who then gave that horrible contract to Wiggins put them behind the 8-ball. They were on the upswing before Thibbs and he made it all come crashing back to reality.

Bulls are almost next level bad in terms of how poorly their front office is run.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns and Wizards I definitely agree with. Think those two are definitely no-brainers. But I think you absolutely have to put the Bulls up on the top 3. Gun to my head, I'd take off the T-Wolves. What they essentially did was one bad move that turned into 5. Hiring Thibbs, who then gave that horrible contract to Wiggins put them behind the 8-ball. They were on the upswing before Thibbs and he made it all come crashing back to reality.

Bulls are almost next level bad in terms of how poorly their front office is run.

And the Wizards are way worse than the Suns. Not even close.

Suns are struggling because they missed on a couple lotto picks and they have little in the way of veteran leadership and league worst PG play.

But Ayton + Booker + Bridges is a good young core. If they hit on their pick next year AND get an actual NBA caliber starting PG, they will jump quickly and might even contend for a playoff spot.

In other words, Phoenix has a theoretical future. Washington has only sniffed a future on a couple brief occasions in 30 years.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many titles the Pacers have again?

But yes the Pistons FO has been bad since the Iverson trade

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Wizards are way worse than the Suns. Not even close.

Suns are struggling because they missed on a couple lotto picks and they have little in the way of veteran leadership and league worst PG play.

But Ayton + Booker + Bridges is a good young core. If they hit on their pick next year AND get an actual NBA caliber starting PG, they will jump quickly and might even contend for a playoff spot.

In other words, Phoenix has a theoretical future. Washington has only sniffed a future on a couple brief occasions in 30 years.

Talent/future isn't the question with them because it's finally there after all these years of tanking.... the problem is Rob Sarver. He meddles with the front office way too much, uses GM's and coaches as puppets and now after once being a semi-popular free agent destination they've become an after-thought. I hate to say it but it's hard to imagine this team being a winner as long as he's the owner. He inherited a gold mine from Jerry Colangelo and has run it into the ground and @HurricaneDij39 is right that this slowly started back in the Nash days.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if Orlando has a plan or if the Clippers are ever planning on trying to be a real contender.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Atlanta. For a team that needs to be actively tanking, being only 5th worst isn't trying hard enough.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Error

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent/future isn't the question with them because it's finally there after all these years of tanking.... the problem is Rob Sarver. He meddles with the front office way too much, uses GM's and coaches as puppets and now after once being a semi-popular free agent destination they've become an after-thought. I hate to say it but it's hard to imagine this team being a winner as long as he's the owner. He inherited a gold mine from Jerry Colangelo and has run it into the ground and @HurricaneDij39 is right that this slowly started back in the Nash days.

I take your word for that. I am quite sure Phoenix hasn't been well run. But just look at the Wizards resume of distinction over the last 15 years. Then go back 15 more after that. It will blow your mind.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take your word for that. I am quite sure Phoenix hasn't been well run. But just look at the Wizards resume of distinction over the last 15 years. Then go back 15 more after that. It will blow your mind.

To me where the Wizards really set themselves back many years started in the mid 90's. At one point they had Webber, Sheed, and Howard. (And an ok but not great Calvert Cheaney)

They traded themselves into mediocrity from that dealing for Strickland and Richmond. Then they did the same thing trading Rip for stackhouse.

They're literally the poster child for why you don't deal young talent for vets on the wrong side of 30.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks

I honestly don’t know about other NBA perma-failures but anytime the team shows potential they blow it up, get rid of the young talent, and overpay some used up has been. Fucking miserable team to root for.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we define a timeline for this?

We got referneces of Mitch Richmond in this thread. Lol

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we define a timeline for this?

We got referneces of Mitch Richmond in this thread. Lol

That was in reference to tlances point about going back 30 years

I agree it holds no weight today but the point was you have to hold onto your young talent or flip them for picks and or more young talent (unless you're talking about a deal for a star quality player).

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me where the Wizards really set themselves back many years started in the mid 90's. At one point they had Webber, Sheed, and Howard. (And an ok but not great Calvert Cheaney)

They traded themselves into mediocrity from that dealing for Strickland and Richmond. Then they did the same thing trading Rip for stackhouse.

They're literally the poster child for why you don't deal young talent for vets on the wrong side of 30.

The problem is all 3 of those guys played the same position.

And Webber, just like Duncan, had zero interest in playing center.

They needed to swap some of those guys. They just did it wrong, obviously.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much credit are we giving Cleveland for Lebron being from Akron?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much credit are we giving Cleveland for Lebron being from Akron?
That's fair, but Cleveland tanked twice to get him and it worked.

In addition, like him or not (and I know most don't), Lebron saw first hand his first time here if nothing else Gilbert would spend. Had he not known this I doubt he comes back.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, but Cleveland tanked twice to get him and it worked.

In addition, like him or not (and I know most don't), Lebron saw first hand his first time here if nothing else Gilbert would spend. Had he not known this I doubt he comes back.

I should add in the NBA's shady AF business practices.

All the 1-1 picks they gave Cle.

And obviously the Clippers being a historically worse franchise selling the 1st overall pick for what, 12 or 15m?

Honestly, that one move (to get the Kyrie pick) is the only reason CLE isn't an obvious top 3 pick for everyone.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No mentions of the Pelicans? AD's been there for 7 years & only 2 playoff appearances.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could put the bottom 10 all in the same boat really. The bottom of the nba is pretty bad. Hell look at the Eastern conf the last 10 years or so