• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Metal/Hard Rock Albums of the 80's

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we shuld remove "Hard Rock" and stick to Metal.

I saw the post about Rush and thought, hell yeah, for hard rock... but they can't really be called metal...

Then, I started to think about what qualifies as Metal? I'm thinking Van Halen is the cutoff. Anything harder than that qualifies. Anything softer is just Hard Rock. But, I'm not sure if they qualify.... ??

Anyway... Didn't Metalica have about five albums in the 80's? I'd say "Ride The Lightning", "And Justice For All", and "Master of Puppets" should be included.... Same with Maiden: "Killers", "Number of the Beast", and "Piece of Mind"... Ozzy had "Madman" and "Bilzzard" in the 80's.... "Mindcrime" was great.... Megadeath, Slayer & Anthrax should all be mentioned....

One of my favorites was Suicidal Tendencies, but their best wasn't until the 90's...

And, perhaps not a top twenty, but GWAR deserves an honorable mention.
:agree:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent Album... Slide it in is the great album IMO...

Whitesnake 1987 was the last studio album John Sykes played guitar on for Whitesnake and he had wrote most of those songs. It's why that album was soo incredible. One of the most underrated guitar players of all time. Too bad Coverdale and Sykes egos couldn't fit in the same room together.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of thos albums, which was the better instrumental...

Ktulu
Anesthesia
Orion
To Live is to Die

I realize there have been instrumentals since, but I kinda lost track of the band after Black...

My vote..

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Whitesnake 1987 was the last studio album John Sykes played guitar on for Whitesnake and he had wrote most of those songs. It's why that album was soo incredible. One of the most underrated guitar players of all time. Too bad Coverdale and Sykes egos couldn't fit in the same room together.

Maybe that's why Coverdale/Page only lasted a short time as well.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, one of my all time favorite albums of the time was Seasons in the Abyss but that came out in 1990.

I'd have to go with Metallica Master of Puppets as my #1 in the 80's..............followed by Reign in Blood and Powerslave to round it out. For me, honorable mention(after the rest of Metallica's albums) would have to got to Saxon's Power and the Glory, Motley Crue Too Fast for Love (everything else they ever did sucked IMO, but man did they make a shit load of money), Megadeath Peace Sells (But who's buying?), and Screaming for Vengance. Appetite would be in there somewhere too but I don't think GNR would be considered metal. Funny thing is I love all of this shit but was busy listening to more punk then metal at the time.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
For me the best Metallica, and it's not close, was Kill'Em All...I still get all fired up when I listen to it.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ktulu
Anesthesia
Orion
To Live is to Die

I realize there have been instrumentals since, but I kinda lost track of the band after Black...

Got to go with personal fav Orion. The guitar work and solos is incredible and I remember it took me months of blood sweet and tears to learn most of it from ear when I was 17. It is an incredibly difficult song to play.

But To Live is to Die has a lot of sentimental feelings to it because it was the last song that Cliff had helped write. After AJFA, Metallica got Bob Rock and they were never the same.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, one of my all time favorite albums of the time was Seasons in the Abyss but that came out in 1990.

I'd have to go with Metallica Master of Puppets as my #1 in the 80's..............followed by Reign in Blood and Powerslave to round it out. For me, honorable mention(after the rest of Metallica's albums) would have to got to Saxon's Power and the Glory, Motley Crue Too Fast for Love (everything else they ever did sucked IMO, but man did they make a shit load of money), Megadeath Peace Sells (But who's buying?), and Screaming for Vengance. Appetite would be in there somewhere too but I don't think GNR would be considered metal. Funny thing is I love all of this shit but was busy listening to more punk then metal at the time.

Excellent choice...

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ktulu
Anesthesia
Orion
To Live is to Die

Gotta give this one to Cliff IMO.............