• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Assistant Coaches

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Tony Elliott, Clemson

2. Ryan Day, Ohio State offensive coordinator

3. Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin defensive coordinator

4. Greg Schiano, Ohio State DC

5. Manny Diaz, Miami DC

6. Chip Lindsey, Auburn OC

7. Dave Aranda, LSU DC

8. Mike Yurcich, Oklahoma State OC

9. Mike Elko, Texas A&M DC

10. Todd Orlando, Texas DC

11. Beau Baldwin, Cal OC

12. Jimmy Lake, Washington DC

13. Brent Venables, Clemson DC

14. Walt Bell, Florida State OC

15. Mel Tucker, Georgia, DC

16. Jake Spavital, West Virginia OC

17. Marcus Arroyo, Oregon OC

18. Eliah Drinkwitz, North Carolina State OC

19. Brian Ferentz, Iowa OC

20. Ricky Rahne, Penn State

Top Group of Five assistants

1. Andy Avalos, Boise State DC – Poised to have the best defense Boise has seen in years, as 10 starters return.

2. Ivin Jasper, Navy OC – His option expertise has led to head coach interviews, a natural outgrowth of Navy’s success.

3. Brian Wright, Toledo OC – Whoever replaces Logan Woodside will be throwing to the best Group of Five receiving unit in the country.

4. Kenny Dillingham, Memphis OC – At just 28, he’ll continue to rise through the ranks with Mike Norvell.

5. Jay Bateman, Army DC – Garnered interest from Notre Dame and others last year after Army gave up just 22.0 points per game.

20 assistant coaches ready for a top job, and why Clemson's Tony Elliott leads the list

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should not be on the list but I would not trade Rodney Garner for anyone and would only swap Kevin Steele for a Will Muschamp quality DC.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a matter of time until Lake is snatched up and given a team.

This last off season Petersen's long time DC voluntarily came forward and offered to give up play calling on defense and drop to co DC in an effort to keep Lake on staff. Giving him the chance to add that to his resume will keep him here for now, but for how long?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mstoops.gif

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah so, Manny Diaz is gonna disappoint the shit out of somebody. Jake Spavital too. Neither of them suck obviously, but they aren't elite either. Elite coordinators don't produce record breaking futility regardless of the circumstance. I've personally watched both do exactly that.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Leonhard will move on soon, but I hope it ain't within the Big Ten or SEC.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the only reason Jim Harbaugh hasn’t been fired for being even worse than Rich Rodriguez doesn’t even make the top 20? Don Brown.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Bud Foster?

So the only reason Jim Harbaugh hasn’t been fired for being even worse than Rich Rodriguez doesn’t even make the top 20? Don Brown.

It seems to be a list of the assistants who are the top head coaching candidates, not the best actual assistants. Most teams aren't looking to hire 60 year olds who have no FBS head coaching experience.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a matter of time until Lake is snatched up and given a team.

This last off season Petersen's long time DC voluntarily came forward and offered to give up play calling on defense and drop to co DC in an effort to keep Lake on staff. Giving him the chance to add that to his resume will keep him here for now, but for how long?

I was worried why Jimmy and Pete were co-DCs now. Pete will make a good HC also IMO

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was worried why Jimmy and Pete were co-DCs now. Pete will make a good HC also IMO
Coach K has said repeatedly he doesn't want to go anywhere and isn't interested in being a HC, at least not now. He loves what he does and really likes that he can lay low as a DC. I don't get the feeling he would enjoy or really even tolerate the spotlight that HC's deal with. Not to mention kissing ass with the boosters and whatnot. He's a pure X's and O's guy and that's ALL he wants to deal with. He's the one that went to Petersen about sharing DC duties and giving Lake the play calling. It was purely his idea because he wanted to keep Lake here, for the greater good of the program. I've never seen anything like that level of selflessness before, but you'd be hard pressed to take someone that does that and try to paint a scenario where they jump ship for a HC job somewhere. It just doesn't feel like what he's about.

Things change and who knows what kinds of offers he's going to get down the road, but he's the last guy on this staff I'd expect to jump ship right now.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah so, Manny Diaz is gonna disappoint the shit out of somebody. Jake Spavital too. Neither of them suck obviously, but they aren't elite either. Elite coordinators don't produce record breaking futility regardless of the circumstance. I've personally watched both do exactly that.

He must have secrets on someone.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, one of 'em might get a chance at Maryland very soon.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas will probably be lookin'. Bet none of 'em are interested in that one.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spartan Up!

I would love to see this guy be successful. I mean - not enough to root for Oregon per se, but enough to root for him specifically!

He was the running back coach for us for a couple of years. Dude is a hell of a recruiter. Two years worth of cruits and I'd put our offensive skill position depth against anyone in the nation. If no. 8 takes the HC gig at Maryland (he is rumored to be holding out for something towards the east coast) after this season I'd love to have him back.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the running back coach for us for a couple of years. Dude is a hell of a recruiter. Two years worth of cruits and I'd put our offensive skill position depth against anyone in the nation. If no. 8 takes the HC gig at Maryland (he is rumored to be holding out for something towards the east coast) after this season I'd love to have him back.
His (Marcus Arroyo's) first head coaching job should be at his alma mater, San Jose State. Just my $0.02.